Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 10:10   #1

Boat: Bayfield 32C
Captain Wanted

We are trying to get our 32ft Bayfield C from St Petersburg Fl. To Galveston TX We tried during the week of 3/23. We just encountered to much bad Weather and simply ran out of time. We would like to hire a licensed Coast Guard Captain, to bring her to Texas. We would like to have our Vessel in Texas by the end of April if at all possible. We are open to all ideas and suggestions.
Old 30-03-2014, 10:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Skipper Needed

Careful who you call a skipper and call a captain. Skippers are unlicensed and captains are licensed. Some disagree, but that is the consensus.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 30-03-2014, 11:26   #3
cp1

Re: Captain Wanted

Hello
I can do the job for you. 20 yrs in deliveries. Please email me your particulars and I will provide a quote resume and references.
Thanks
Capt Doug
Old 30-03-2014, 12:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

I will be pleased to provide further information and answer any questions as well as to provide a cost estimate. However, as a commercial member, I am not supposed to post my contact information. I will send you a PM. Thank you. Captain Paul Foer
Old 30-03-2014, 13:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Skipper or captain? I am not sure if there is a consensus as Moderator David M suggests about the use of the term skipper or captain but it is good of him to raise the issue. I do believe that it is incorrect to refer to we professional mariners who have licenses as licensed US Coast Guard Captains as did the OP and as do others. I am not a Coast Guard Captain--that would be a senior officer of the Coast Guard with a rank between that of Commander and Rear Admiral. What some of us are (myself included) is Coast Guard licensed captains, although there might be a few USCG officers on CF with the rank of captain. Some of them might also be licensed captains. What others are is US Merchant Marine Officers licensed by the US Coast Guard, some with the license of Inspected Passenger Vessel Operator (IPVO) or perhaps "Masters" with tonnage and/or route restrictions. Of course that can get rather technical but is there a consensus about skipper and captain?
Old 30-03-2014, 13:32   #6
cruiser

Plenty of non licensed people throw captain and skipper around very freely. Seems only the more anal of the licensed captains get bent about the over usage of the terms. Anyone who controls the boat is the captain, like it or not it's here to stay. I don't think the OP is interested in debating any of that or even cares in the least. Skilled boat delivery guy needed.
Old 30-03-2014, 13:50   #7

To continue with thoughts of our moderator David and Paul.
The term “Licensed Captain” for general purposes does not exist except for as Paul states “that would be a senior officer of the Coast Guard with a rank between that of Commander and Rear Admiral”
In a nut shell the USCG has 2 general categories of licenses that fit this discussion.
The OUPV (uninspected vessel)
The Masters (inspected vessel)
Neither requires practical competency testing, only Sea Time documentation.
Sea Time can be acquired in a 10’ row boat and qualify for written testing. Pass it and you’ve got at least an OUPV.
I’ve had crew on deliveries that have had both and I wouldn’t give them my 18’ Center Console to play with.
The only recognized organization that requires competency that I know of is RYA and I’ve seen some dandies with that Cert.

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2014, 14:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark wheeler View Post
We are trying to get our 32ft Bayfield C from St Petersburg Fl. To Galveston TX We tried during the week of 3/23. We just encountered to much bad Weather and simply ran out of time. We would like to hire a licensed Coast Guard Captain, to bring her to Texas. We would like to have our Vessel in Texas by the end of April if at all possible. We are open to all ideas and suggestions.
my name is captain Nic 321-210-0497 I can do delivery for you....
I am a master 100/ton delivery captain looking for work....
Old 30-03-2014, 14:35   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
To continue with thoughts of our moderator David and Paul.
The term “Licensed Captain” for general purposes does not exist except for as Paul states “that would be a senior officer of the Coast Guard with a rank between that of Commander and Rear Admiral”
In a nut shell the USCG has 2 general categories of licenses that fit this discussion.
The OUPV (uninspected vessel)
The Masters (inspected vessel)
Neither requires practical competency testing, only Sea Time documentation.
Sea Time can be acquired in a 10’ row boat and qualify for written testing. Pass it and you’ve got at least an OUPV.
I’ve had crew on deliveries that have had both and I wouldn’t give them my 18’ Center Console to play with.
The only recognized organization that requires competency that I know of is RYA and I’ve seen some dandies with that Cert.

Not quite. 320 days In a row boat. Give some credit to ones who actually studied and spent time on proper boats. The OUPV was designed for fishing scuba and charter boat captains and along with that comes liability for having such a license. It's better than having a free for all at least. I don't have one by the way.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Nic and CP1 have, I believe, violated the rules here by posting their commercial contact information. As for "skilled guy needed" comments from HorrorHotel, I agree that the term "captain" may or may not carry any weight but I take issue with Knotnow who seems to seriously downplay and discredit the holders of the uscg license. As for "skilled guy needed" the USCG license, like it or not, is often demonstrative of skill and perseverence and experience AND 90% passing of a test on Rules of the Road, a physical and vision exam, a background check etc.etc and is often required by insurers so this is an issue of importance. Of course there are some who have the paper and all it is is a piece of paper to them, but many if not most of us who hold these licenses are serious and seasoned professionals. Yes, it is a concern that there is no practical demonstration so other things, including RYA papers can be examined. For example I hold the STCW certification which required a week-long practical class and also an ASA advanced coastal cruising instructor certification which required serious practical demonstration and I was an Outward Bound instructor that required a 12 day practical course. So yes, lumping all "captains" together can be problematic and the license has limitations but when it is required to operate a vessel and is the key to one's livelihood, protecting that license through professionalism becomes very important to its holder. As one of those seasoned professionals I am tired of reading negative and disrespectful complaints from posters on here about USCG licensed captains lumping us all together as incompetents and ne'er do wells. Perhaps they never could pass the test and therefore feel it is necessary to take jabs at those of us who have.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:15   #11

Paul, I’m not downplaying the USCG Certs. My point is, Just because you’ve past a written exam does NOT necessarily you are Gods gift to the seafaring. Anyone wanting our help should do Due Diligence.

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2014, 15:26   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Captain Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
Paul, I’m not downplaying the USCG Certs. My point is, Just because you’ve past a written exam does NOT necessarily you are Gods gift to the seafaring. Anyone wanting our help should do Due Diligence.

Pass an exam and 360 or 720 days documented verifiable days of a least 4 hours per day on the tonnage you are applying for FBI background, doctors check up, reference letters ect.
More than an exam and the exam is way ahead of the average jerk off running around with a $500k boat with zero training. Like the ass wipe who almost split my boat in two last week. Sorry.....bit of a rant.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:32   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Nic and CP1 have, I believe, violated the rules here by posting their commercial contact information. .

As fairly new to moderating I might stand to be corrected, but what I understand, is that delivery skippers can post contact info, so long as it is not directed to a commercial website.

Paul, a week long STCW course, you are lucky. As a commercial skipper I suffer re-validating every 5 years. Fire fighting on its own is a 4 day course.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Knotnow wrote "Paul, I’m not downplaying the USCG Certs. My point is, Just because you’ve past a written exam does NOT necessarily you are Gods gift to the seafaring. Anyone wanting our help should do Due Diligence." Huh? Of course you are downplaying the whole kit and kaboodle. Who ever said anything about "Gods gift to seafaring"? You did. What I think Sailing Cowboy and I are trying to say is that while the USCG license without a practical exam may have some shortcomings, it is more often than not an indicator if not a guarantee of a certain level of practical knowledge skill and experience. Due diligience should be a part of the hiring and selection process in any professional pursuit. Even lawyers and accountants and doctors can screw up or be incompetent but would your substitute "doctor" or "lawyer" for the term "captain" in any of your posts knocking professional boat operators?
Old 30-03-2014, 15:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

"Gods git to seafaring"??? Huh???

Anyhow, I find the rule a bit confusing but here they are:

Commercial Members

Any member with a marine-related product, service or company - whether for profit or not for profit - may choose to become a Commercial Member. Cruisers Forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not primarily intended for soliciting business by commercial entities (advertising). Commercial Members must adhere to all forum policies including the following which specifically pertain to Commercial Members:
  • Anyone may join Cruisers Forum, but those with a commercial interest may be identified as Commercial Members at our discretion. Any posts that are deemed to be unsuitable will be removed, and repeat offenders will have their account suspended.
  • Commercial Members may not solicit our membership or advertise except as specifically allowed in these policies or by prior arrangement with Social Knowledge, LLC. This includes: posting prices, directing members to phone for more info or directing members to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages.
  • Commercial Members may only quote prices in the Commercial Posts Forum
  • Commercial Members are prohibited from making direct, emotionally-charged posts to, or about, competitors.
  • Commercial Members may not post product comparisons.
  • Commercial Members may not use any section of the forum except the Commercial Posts Forum to discuss their product, service or company unless answering a direct question from another member, and even then may not quote prices outside the Commercial Posts Forum.
  • Commercial Members may not use the main Forums to direct others to the Commercial Posts Forum.
  • Commercial Members may post their product, service or company Home Page URL in their Profile, but not in their avatar, nor can it be their User Name.
  • Signature standards: Commercial Members may have three lines containing two non-commercial signature links and may incorporate their business name into their signature. No other advertising or contact information (such as phone number or email address) is allowed. No commercial links are allowed in signatures of Commercial Members.

Tags
captain, wanted