Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 07:02   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Captain wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Tony is correct and this happens frequently. I have some advice for Ruff Riders as who may not have any idea what is in store as he readily admits his inexperience. Probably he was attracted to this boat because it was "cheap" and wanted to find a "cheap" way to get it to Costa Rica and probably wanted a "cheap" delivery job...and live happily ever after anchored off a sandy beach drinking rum.....but these rarely work out. If you cannot afford a professional and reliable skipper to hire, and you work his or her cost into that of the purchase to determine if you can afford it--well, you probably can't afford it. I've seen this time and time again. You wrote "I am new to sailing so I am looking for an experienced sailor to show me the ropes you can email me at johnmills13@hotmail.com" and so I did write you but all you wanted to know was how uch I would charge you and you said you lined someone up for $125 per day and wanted to know if that was reasonable. Well, I again asked you to contact me

and you did not, but I would have been pleased to give you some helpful advice. You need help. You need a pro. You have to be willing to pay the fee to support the labor market so a pro can be available. Do you really think $125 is reasonable? You will get what you pay for. There are many pitfalls to be avoided and there is a huge safety concern. Do not skimp. It will only cost you. So there--free advice. Take it for what you feel it is worth. It is often said that only a fool learns from experience...the wise learn from the experience of others.....
A great post, I have often questions others sanity for hiring crew or a captain. Most anyone that will take a job for free or very little is not worth having on the boat, I am sure there are exceptions. But to you want to be the exception when hiring someone that your life is dependant on. Would you hire a Doctor that said he would do you open heart surgery for free? Think about it.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:58   #17

Boat: 41' Sail

Spot on Paul!
Lots of 'guys' will work on the cheap to assist or even captain a boat from here to there. $125 per day interprets as someone who has very little blue water experience, equally shy on experience with navigation, repairs underway, rough weather, safety, standing a night watch, familiar with radar in a fog and of course weather forecasting to minimize your exposure. Not what I would consider a safe proposition. How much do you value your life? I know. I hire many 'new to sailing' to help with my deliveries. They learn more in 3 days at sea than they did in the past 3 years of 'assisting'. This is a true statement.

All of the good Captains I know are willing to give good, sound advise to those not yet experienced. It's a big, bad ocean at times, and she is not to be treated without proper respect. Trust me.

Always get references and ALWAYS contact SEVERAL of them.

Safe passagers all!

Cheers, Jeffry~
Old 23-09-2012, 08:06   #18

Boat: 41' Sail

Hello and also Spot on Rocketman,

It's a leap of faith from both the owner looking to hire someone and for the 'hired' to come aboard a foriegn boat and take commans not really knowing the condition of the boat. We can discuss and inspect filters, impellars, through hulls, rigging, sails, engine, electronics, etc.. but what about the dirty fuel tanks...or all the MANY gremlins that run around a boat that the owner has never really figured out. Add to that mix the fact that the owner is a new owner and also new to sailing...well, it makes for great story telling over a beer.

Be safe out there! Tight lines~

Cheers, Jeffry~
Old 24-09-2012, 07:45   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

An interesting thread - and informative from both viewpoints, even if not all entirely welcomed by the parties concerned .

.......I thought perhaps useful to de-personalise the topic by shifting onto a new thread:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1043288

Folks here do have some good stuff to share........