Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 15:11   #1

Boat: 67' fabulous cat
China to Panama

I'm looking for a crew to deliver our yacht across the south pacific. I know there are trade winds and currents etc, but I don't know what times of year this trip is possible. Ideally, I am looking for around November this year.

The yacht is a 67' cat. She needs 2 captains and 1 first mate for insurance reasons.

Anyone who might be interested (or who can even tell me that this is a crazy time of year to do a delivery like this) please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 25-04-2013, 15:46   #2

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp
Re: China to Panama

P.M. Sent!

D.T.
Old 25-04-2013, 18:20   #3

Boat: voyage 580 catamaran
Pm sent
Old 25-04-2013, 18:39   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

If Panama delivery is the primary goal then consider the great circle route east towards San Francisco, using prevailing westerly’s. (Mid-June departure from China at earliest)

Knowing more about your goals/schedule and how well found the boat is, would help in our suggestions.
Old 25-04-2013, 18:50   #5

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

I would be found helping to finance this trip -voyage -really!

But,

I would only be willing to participate with "Experienced Captains" at the helm -ONLY!

Based upon "their" discretion and choice of timing/Yes, I do understand that the crew is and will be insured -But, I already have money! Not much consolation when your dead or other?

I thank you for the offer in participating! The flight over, is but inconsequential and found in being quite cheap!

We'll have too see what/who you acquire in the coming months ahead!

Sincerely,

D.T.
Old 25-04-2013, 19:28   #6

Thanks to you both.

The yacht is brand new, hence the terrible timing. i want her to arrive in one solid piece with all members alive and accounted for!

I am not looking for the bargain rate, I am looking for a PRO with an outstanding resume. I would like her safely in the caribbean as soon as we can safely get her there. She has a special and unusual purpose and must be protected!

I think I need some experts, I should look up good ol' captain jackdale and pick his illustrious brain as to when this flight may take place safely!

She needs a very solid crew, so no fears, only top notch people will be brought aboard for this venture.

Also, there may be the possibility for 2 stop overs on the islands for a week each time, again due to her special nature. Think of it as a vacation perk!
Old 25-04-2013, 20:04   #7
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidersmama View Post
.... I would like her safely in the caribbean as soon as we can safely get her there. She has a special and unusual purpose and must be protected!
Have you looked at shipping as deck freight to Panama or Miami?
Old 25-04-2013, 20:19   #8

It's too big, the ship builder verified that we can't.
Old 25-04-2013, 20:32   #9
CF Adviser

Yachts much larger than yours are shipped as deck cargo to and from Asia quite often:

Try this company
http://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport...y-loading.aspx

Far East / South - Far East / North - North America West Coast - North America East Coast
Sailing: From Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Kaohsiung, to USA West- and East Coast
Sailing date: 2 Monthly service

http://www.sevenstar-emt.com/
http://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport...and-india.aspx

There are other shippers to consider but do your homework on reliability and contract
Old 25-04-2013, 20:52   #10

I think it's more than the overall length, it is wider than a typical cat of its length. they will ship the 63' they make but said that the 67 is just too big and needs to be sailed. I hoped to have her arrive in fantastic shape, but he will be a little scuffed and worn when we get her I think.

I will try these shippers, thanks so much for the links. I will let you know what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yachts much larger than yours are shipped as deck cargo to and from Asia quite often:

Try this company
http://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport...y-loading.aspx

Far East / South - Far East / North - North America West Coast - North America East Coast
Sailing: From Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Kaohsiung, to USA West- and East Coast
Sailing date: 2 Monthly service

Sevenstar Emt > Home
http://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport...and-india.aspx

There are other shippers to consider but do your homework on reliability and contract
Old 25-04-2013, 22:58   #11
CF Adviser

Quote:
...., it is wider than a typical cat of its length.
Curious as to how wide your 67ft. Cat is?

I am guessing maximum beam of about 37-40ft, which is not a problem on large container ships as Deck Cargo

OOCL - Oversized Cargo & Yacht Shipping
America's cup yacht race comes to Plymouth | Demotix.com

Building a custom steel or wood lifting cradle basket that sits under the keels and protects hull sides is not that expensive as your Cat should be relatively light and stable on 2 hulls…. 50-60 Tons max loading?
Yacht Transport Method - Boat Shipping Cradles
Boat Shipping Cradles | Boat Shipping Quote

Safest way to lift as there are no slings to slip under the hulls.

I have done this in the past for 80 footer, and when container ship arrived, Container Crane simply picked up cradle and boat… found a launch spot and when lash down straps to cradles were released, cradle sank enough that boat could slide clear. I then actually sold cradle for more than what Builder’s invoice was.

Not as risky as your new investment doing a major offshore voyage unless you wanted to enjoy the cruise, rather than a time pressure delivery.

Talk to your insurance agent about shipping coverage versus own hull delivery and you will understand.

I would still do launch, sea-trials and warranty tests in China or HK before shipping if you decided to go that route.
Old 26-04-2013, 14:09   #12

Its 38' wide. Thanks for all the advice. I have no intention of enjoying the open sea...its a time pressure trip

I sent a request to the company you suggested. We shall see what they come back with!

Gratitude
Old 26-04-2013, 14:17   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Its 38' wide. Thanks for all the advice. I have no intention of enjoying the open sea...its a time pressure trip

I sent a request to the company you suggested. We shall see what they come back with!

Gratitude
So youre under a tight schedule (always bad), hurricane season is only a few months away, and want to make sure the yacht gets there in good shape....sounds like an ideal candidate for a yacht transport rather than a delivery crew. Also look up the "Super Servant" fleet. I forget the company name, they do service Panama.
Old 26-04-2013, 14:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So youre under a tight schedule (always bad), hurricane season is only a few months away, and want to make sure the yacht gets there in good shape....sounds like an ideal candidate for a yacht transport rather than a delivery crew.

It does indeed!!! There will be plenty of time for sailing LATER!!!!
Thanks
Old 28-04-2013, 02:48   #15

Boat: BOATLESS !!

Super Servant are, I belive Dutch...I used them in 2000 to bring a 76' M/Y from St Thomas to Lauderdale which cost $17,000.....we also used them regularly to take M/Y's up to 90' from Lauderdale to Palma, Southampton and Antibe for around U.S.$75k which includes 'all inc' passage for 2 crew staying on the vessel.
I personally wouldn't use a wooden made pallet for this cat. I have some pics of cradles that I've used as deck cargo for mono M/Y's that were pretty substantial cradles....

Tags
China, Panama