Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 13:34   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock View Post
I'm certain there are 100's of people willing to round the globe for a small token price for expenses. Me being one of them. One could also say finding a good boat/crew to crew with is the hard part.

It is a privilege to be on a yacht cruising the world. Anyone expecting to be paid ought to have at least a PhD and be a former Americas Cup tactician / trimmer.
when the REQUIREMENT of the cruise ois to TEACH other folks's kids and not have pay, there is a problem, honey- big time. also issues of privacy and having to pay your way as well as teach the kids???? get real.
my solitary bid may end up going round the globe--i dont have kids going with me-- i will accept your money to sail with me ..... just enough for expenses--canal, etc. i leave mar1 for mazatlan, then points south. NO KIDS ..LOL
Old 20-12-2010, 21:23   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393
Zeehag, I think we all know by now that this wouldn't be a good fit for you (if nothing else you don't seem to keen on kids being around 24/7), but that doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who this would be a good fit for. The red text was my initial reaction, just to show how two people can read things differently...

Round the World cruise
Reference: CS-6689-AD

Boat Details: Nordia Van Dam 68 Ketch Nice Boat! I looked it up and it has like 4+ staterooms!
Destination: Around the world trip Trip of a lifetime!
Availability: 17 Feb 2011 onward Not some pipe-dream that is years away!
Crew Requirements: We are a family sailing round the world, and we are looking to bring 1 maybe 2 crew to help out with watches and home schooling. The position would suit a teacher with sailing experience seeking a career break I can easily see someone saying, "I love sailing and love kids! I was home schooled myself, so I might be a good fit!" I definitely don't get no sleep, "boat slave", nanny, or privacy issues from this.
So you stand some watches and help with some homeschooling and you get to see the world? Sounds like a good trade-off for someone out there.
Financial Arrangement: Shared Contribution This could mean anything from you pay all your own expenses down to BYOB. Rarely is anything free. Besides, some might take the viewpoint that you'd have to buy your food whether you were crewing onboard or not!
Travel Expenses: Paid by Crew Standard?

Date Posted / Updated: 16/12/2010

I think I stumbled on the family's website when looking up the boat, but won't share it here in interests of preserving their privacy. I will say that they looked like a nice family, however.

Frank
Old 20-12-2010, 21:46   #18

Home schooling, 2010
Parents purchase accredited home school curriculum for the child.
Child self studies most of the material.
Parent or tutor reviews and clarifies the material with the child.
When one becomes available in port, an independent certified teacher/test giver administers a monitored test on the material.
A degree is earned.
The courses are well laid out and produce good results. I've tutored a bunch of these kids on land. Some are good students, some spoiled brats. Depends on the parents.
Wouldn't be that much of a challenge or burden at sea...
Old 20-12-2010, 21:52   #19

It would be a lot easier than trying not to step on a 16 pound cat!

Just kidding, Zeehag
Old 21-12-2010, 00:08   #20

Boat: Traditional 30
I wanna be the teacher. Because mommy and daddy just bought a boat worth nearly 900k and are two tight to pay a teacher to teach them properly and invest in their future. Turds!

If they were on a low budget boat worth 50k , it would be a different story. But these people have money and have spent a wad on a major luxury item and then turn all tight ass on their own children. ARRRG.. My hair is up.

Cheers
Oz
Old 21-12-2010, 00:21   #21

OH Oh.. I forgot to say why I want to be the teacher.

So I can teach the kids right from wrong. Obviously no one taught mommy and daddy that!

Cheers
Oz
Old 21-12-2010, 00:27   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Gotta agree with Zeehag. This situation is rife with red flags and trouble. Anybody that doesn't see it has probably never cruised with family or friends for more than two weeks. Perhaps a better idea would be a month or two shake down cruise for anyone signing up for this. A cruise of a life time perhaps or a disappointment of a life time for all involved. Even on a boat of this size you are living in tight quarters. But then I read ozskippers post above and tend to agree with him as well. As another poster stated as well, this would be a great blog to follow.
Old 21-12-2010, 00:30   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I wanna be the teacher. Because mommy and daddy just bought a boat worth nearly 900k and are two tight to pay a teacher to teach them properly and invest in their future. Turds!

If they were on a low budget boat worth 50k , it would be a different story. But these people have money and have spent a wad on a major luxury item and then turn all tight ass on their own children. ARRRG.. My hair is up.

Cheers
Oz
Really nice boat this Nordia 68. Geared up for world cruise - probably worth more than a million. And what? Why a different story than a low budget boat? On 50k boat would be not a decent place for the family + another person - this is really a different story.
Essentially You are telling:
Somebody looks for a companion for a world cruise on small and cramped boat, and a share of this companion in on board duties will involve teaching the children - it is O.K.
Somebody looks for a companion for a world cruise on big, nice and comfortable boat, and a share of this companion in on board duties will involve teaching the children - it is not O.K.
Understand, that in the second case the companion should be reimbursed for the trouble of sailing on better boat?
Or, may be You just don't like the people, who can afford spending a million on the boat? Because the budget boat is O.K., but nice, big boat is just awful luxury???
Old 21-12-2010, 03:59   #24
CLOD

Boat: none
While I can understand some of the positions being taken againist, it seems like little more than stirring the pot.

Compared to lots of posts/ads for people looking for "crewmates" this looking for teaching help is nothing. Seems helping home school the kids is a lot more defined than "companionship".
Old 21-12-2010, 07:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Really nice boat this Nordia 68. Geared up for world cruise - probably worth more than a million. And what? Why a different story than a low budget boat? On 50k boat would be not a decent place for the family + another person - this is really a different story.
Essentially You are telling:
Somebody looks for a companion for a world cruise on small and cramped boat, and a share of this companion in on board duties will involve teaching the children - it is O.K.
Somebody looks for a companion for a world cruise on big, nice and comfortable boat, and a share of this companion in on board duties will involve teaching the children - it is not O.K.
Understand, that in the second case the companion should be reimbursed for the trouble of sailing on better boat?
Or, may be You just don't like the people, who can afford spending a million on the boat? Because the budget boat is O.K., but nice, big boat is just awful luxury???
Good on them for having the cash- the nice big boat is great. But dont be tightasses when it comes to the kids. Pay the Professonal! Someone on a 50k boat isnt that well off and subsequently one would expect that they couldnt spend as much on thier kids. Basic maths really. To the point that on the cheap boat mum and dad would most likely do the teaching. Better parents IMHO.

Hey, if someone wants to join that cruise and pay thier way around the world while giving away thier professional services thats up to them. As I said before, what irks me is the fact that the parents are too tight to pay a professional given that they have plenty to start with.

Cheers
DP
Old 21-12-2010, 07:13   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I know a guy who did this, taught kids cruising, for awhile. He had a great time, and still keeps in touch with the family. I don't know the financial arrangements, and it was just for a few months, 1/2 year if I recall correctly. I don't think he was expected to pay for anything.

Chris
Old 21-12-2010, 07:18   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ahh... but getting a 'Pro' brings its own problems... Union demanding fixed hours, minimum 4mths vacations, no watchkeeping unless kids are in the cockpit then it can be classed as 'supervision'
But to be serious for once (I'm not a well person today) maybe its a simple case of bad phrasing in their ad...
But definitely not somethinks to get your knickers in a twist over...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 21-12-2010, 07:28   #28

There are people who want "crew" of all sorts and some of it is down right comical. The guy on Raw Faith, the dude trying to get half a dozen people to pony up $64K, etc. Personally I enjoy putting the screws to these people because (a) 90% of the time that's not legally crew, those are passengers and (b) the other 10% of the time it's something even whackier like the Raw Faith fiasco.

I'm not going to pretend that just because someone has a sailboat that everything they do is above mockery.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:36   #29

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I'd rather do laundry on a cruise ship than take this kind of deal...
Old 21-12-2010, 09:04   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
I'd rather do laundry on a cruise ship than take this kind of deal...
We have a saying here:

It is a free country - everybody sleeps with whom he choose

Everybody can put an ad of choice...
Everybody has a choice to answer or not...
The rest is the matter of agreement between consenting adults...
Where is the problem???

Tags
school