Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 08:58   #1

Crew Available: East Med to West Indies - Willing to Pay

Not sure if I should post here or in Caribbean forum...

I need to go in December from East Med to West Indies by boat. I'm an experienced crew member and have a boat of my own, but its in the West Indies and of course it cannot come here and go back at this time of year and it needs some time consuming repairs before it would be capable for such a long journey (ropes, some hull work, etc)

I cannot fly for medical reasons, but I'm fine to sail and otherwise perfectly healthy and strong.

I'm not only willing to crew and cook (and Im a decent cook) but pay good money for passage. More then enough to make it worth while in fact... so even if you are not planinng to go but the Caribbean sounds interesting, maybe we can make it work.

Please contact me here, and feel free to spread the word.

I've check findacrew etc, but it doesn't seem so suited to posting such an item. I searched and found one boat going from Malta to West Indies, but the owner plans on stopping lazily along the way and getting to West Indies whenever he arrives... I'm interested in heading straight over while the season is right.....
Old 24-11-2009, 13:17   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Shame you missed the 200+ ARC cruisers off from Canaries last weekend. suspect some would have come from the E Med.
Good luck in finding a passage - maybe try finding a US owner wanting to bring his boat home and spend what you might have paid on insurance for that trip?
Cheers
JOHN
Old 24-11-2009, 14:11   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, it varies with the ARC crowd:

- the pro (racing division, maxis, etc) look for the pro, but from their own contacts,
- the cruisers may take someone but they expect to be paid, this year it was from 15Eur per day or 500-700 per passage (includes food) depending on the case,

The season is right till June, but most boats depart before February (from here - Las Palmas). Now towards the West Indies and later towards Brazil.

b.
Old 25-11-2009, 02:53   #4

Yes I saw the ARC and wished I could have gotten on board. Not only good for me, but it looks exciting as well! Unfortunately it will take me some time to get to the Canaries, and they were leaving too early for me.

So how late is it ok to cross to the West Indies? Up till June you say? Im currently targeting Jan... but it might slip to Feb....

Of course I'm looking for delivery options too... If anyone is aware of one, please contact me!

As far as paying the way - 500-700 Euros stated for most ARC cruisers, that is no problem and of course I'll crew and cook too!
Old 25-11-2009, 06:34   #5

From Canaries towards the other side any time is good. Probably boat going after June will stay close to African coast and go on to destinations below Trinidad (say Guyanas, Brazil, etc) - to stay away from possible trouble with TDs, TSs and TCs. But I do not know of many boats going from Gibraltar to Canaries in the winter - it is just too rough, to cold and people will try to avoid.

Off course, after the ARC, the number of boats leaving from here is perhaps two dozens or so, so the chances of getting a ride are low.

b.
Old 25-11-2009, 07:51   #6

How rough is it from Gib to Canaries in Dec / Jan?
Old 25-11-2009, 08:06   #7

Or better yet - Gib to Antigua...
Old 25-11-2009, 11:28   #8

Standard winter North Atlantic weather. The issue are fronts passing by every couple of days.

A patient and skilled skipper will find a weather window without any problem though.

b.
Old 25-11-2009, 13:02   #9

With safety, patience is always important.