Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 22:47   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
BTW, mr. TaoJones, how'd ya make out on the big game, eh? You take the Cards and the points?
Yes, of course - 7 points is too much for a team with a mundane, barely functional offense to have to overcome. Especially in an NFL title game. The complicating factor is how many points will their potent defense put up? As it turned out, an unlikely 100 yard interception return with no time left on the clock provided the Steelers with just enough margin to claim a sixth title.

So it was a good day for both of us. Heh.

TaoJones
Old 05-02-2009, 04:54   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35
Kris,
Welcome to CF! I too am a woman who enjoys sailing. Think about taking sailing lessons. I just finished a course down here in the Florida Keys and had a GREAT time! Jen is a great instructor and teaches ladies only classes so you don't have to worry about "distractions". Here are some pictures and blog about the course I took last week. Feel free to PM me if you need help or any other information. Fair winds and calm seas!

Regards,
Ann

Sunshine Sailing School Ship's Blog Florida Keys
Old 05-02-2009, 05:33   #18

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
. I myself have plans to learn to sail with friends who have sailboats at Moaraine and Chesapeake.

Cheers

Bill

So Badfish, I can pay off that debt while taking you sailing on our cat. Let me know when you may be down this way, when we get started in spring we get out on the boat every weekend. So come on down and if Ms. Aubrey wants to come down we have plenty of room, seriously there are four staterooms on board so separate "racks" for all if needed.

C.King
Old 05-02-2009, 07:12   #19

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisAubrey View Post
I’m fascinated with anything that has to do with any kind of boat (particularly sailboats)
I find myself completely filled with a sort of uncontrollable excitement when I think about being in the middle of black water – the idea that I would lack land in the unknown is nothing short of astounding.

I’ve never been sailing, and I have no idea what I am doing on this website – but its all I can think about. I just want to be on the water. Desperately.

I’m female – apparently that’s a big deal. And I just don’t give a damn. I’m intelligent, educated and I work hard. Knee deep in my degree of Philosophy and Psychology – I would willingly give it all up to help crew some sort of vessel. But as it may be clear now, I have no idea what the hell I’m doing.
I don’t even know where this life long passion to be on the water came from. But I want it.

So I come to you fine sea-goers to inquire as to a direction I should travel. I would like at the very least suggestions in literature - and perhaps some idea as to how I can just get some sort of work on the sea.

As I have read posts on this site, I see plenty of women who would like to find some romantic sailor and trail off into the sunset. I do not want this, my passion lies with the sea – and there it will stay.

I am young – 23, and have the passion and drive any young student has. I anticipate working on the sea is difficult and strenuous. The challenge is incredible – I must experience it.

-Kris Aubrey

Kris,

Yes, I know exectly what you mean. Find someone you like who happens to sail. Go out and have a good time on the water. If you don't know that many people who sail, look for crewing opportunities for short sails and short races.

My wife is from Western PA. She loves to sail too.

Regards
Old 05-02-2009, 07:43   #20

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
So Badfish, I can pay off that debt while taking you sailing on our cat. Let me know when you may be down this way, when we get started in spring we get out on the boat every weekend. So come on down and if Ms. Aubrey wants to come down we have plenty of room, seriously there are four staterooms on board so separate "racks" for all if needed.
I may just take ya up on that, buddy. I'll let ya know when I'm comin down around your way.

Cheers

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49   #21

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Blue Water

I recommend a visit to John Kretschmer's web sit. He has training passages that are a great way to get a sense for a real passage, and for cruising. They are low key, and John is a prince. You would in in good, safe hands on one of his trips.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:54   #22

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Although you are not looking for a dweeb to sail off into the sunset with, I'm sure some sparkies in here will attempt to swoon you anyways
Celesty, what's with all the hate I always get from ya? Is it because I didn't call the day after? I told ya, I think your great but I'm just not ready for a commitment. Don't worry, you'll find somebody...

P.S. There are no sailing clubs in Pittsburgh

Cheers

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Oye ... lets play nice in the pond.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:50   #24

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I am beginning to wonder whether someone is putting an additive in the local water supply lately, because we seem to be having a plethora of ladies seeking to fulfill a recently aquired desire to explore the sailing/cruiser world! Well you and they have chosen the right location to explore and expand those possibilities. Most questions relating to the general subject can be found here. So welcome…All members to greater and lesser degrees are fully in sympathy as to your/our common objectives.

To be more specific, I don’t know what sailing options are available in your location, however you are a student and most universities normally have boating/sailing club within their social programmes so start there. ( If they don’t then check the student union publications/ new boards and either reply to existing offers for crew slots or place a note seeking sailing opportunities and see what happens. As others within the thread have advised ( Check the listings of the nearest yacht clubs to you and introduce yourself ). In any event get some local opportunities and begin to learn the basics. ( if you can’t find any local practical experience, then go on line and do the theory… There’s lot to learn)

While doing so put on your Psychology cap and analyse; the what and why you are so moved. Then use your Philosophy cap to apply a practical programme to achieve it in parallel TO FINISHING YOUR EDUCATION.

This may involve, day dinghy sailing, weekends with friend, weekends in training course etc. Then when you have the basics, more advance practical courses and crewing possibilities during the longer holiday periods. Keep posting in the crew wanted section here in the CF, listing your growing skills. I am sure that the increasing skill base will create invitations ( of the right kind) and you will accumulate more experience WHILE YOU FINISH YOUR EDUCATION. Your long holiday period makes you (If with at least the basic skills) extremely attractive to know, as many here in the CF have difficulty in finding crew for the longer/ often more interesting trips.

Then with that behind you ( can be all done this year) you can post again “an experienced crew available notice” and maybe then your endeavors will allow you to use your winter holiday to learn in places where I and many others are located who have the similar difficulty of finding crew for longer passages/trip.

In summary this means that a similar programme WHILE YOU FINISH YOUR EDUCATION, GRADUATE WITH HONOURS, can not only learn to sail, but have access to the sea, for a much larger length of time than those who actually own a boat in North USA can normally do. So think it out, make a plan and good luck.

By the way, did I mention, that I believe it would be really a nice idea if you could find a way to graduate while pursuing your nautical dream.

Regards

Alan
Old 06-02-2009, 15:12   #25

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
One industry that is often looking for young adults and gets you out working on the water is the cruise ship industry. Not all cruise ships are the huge mega ships.
Old 06-02-2009, 16:05   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
welcome---what the boys sed----and add--i am an old lady --hahaha---age only----and learned to sail as a baby of 7 yrs----i didnt learn on small boats---was taught on 36 feet..best way to learn is the way you learn best--find someone who teaches that way and go---there are sailing forums and magazines online---find your teacher and go for it----if you are not a "puker" go for it even faster----i learned i donot get motion sick at an early age----have been out on messy water and quiet water---messy water is just another adventure......learn--but DO finish your reducation first----very important---have something to be able to use for income......
Old 06-02-2009, 16:31   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Hey Kris,

If you can get to Bermuda by 10.30 am Sunday morning, you can sail with me and 2 couples from Butler. Friends down for visit. 62*F Breeze 8-12 knot out of the NW. Bring a light jacket. What do you drink, Mimosas, or something harder to keep the dampness out. We'll being going off-soundings, so you can do a puke-check.
By the way--not a dweeb or a sparky. A grandfather who just likes to sail with interesting people.
Old 06-02-2009, 17:34   #28

I graduated from CMU in Pittsburgh PA ages ago before I became infected with the sailing bug. I cam from NY so I was close to water growing up, but never saw or noticed the boats when I was at the shore.

Now I don't think I would like being so land locked at I was stuck there between the Allegheny and the Monongahela Rivers afflicted with acute sailingitis.

Over time your dream will come true, but you will never be cured.
Old 06-02-2009, 18:08   #29

Wow. Ive never been interested in forums of any kind (and have never posted until now)
I didn't realize I would receive so much support - this is pretty sweet. I dig it.

Thanks for the concern regarding my education - my desire to satisfy my craving of getting out on the sea is strong, it is definitely strong enough to create the want to leave. But fear not - I do enjoy the present opportunity, and do plan on finishing.

I guess spring break is my time. As i would like to take a bit of a trip to take some lessons. I would have never thought a week ago I would be making plans to take off for a week to learn how to sail. I'm stoked - and I thank you all!
Old 06-02-2009, 18:15   #30

Quote:
Anyway, you're welcome to come cruisin this spring/summer and check it out.
Hell yes. I'm down.