Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 00:48   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
Celesty, what's with all the hate I always get from ya? Is it because I didn't call the day after? I told ya, I think your great but I'm just not ready for a commitment. Don't worry, you'll find somebody...

P.S. There are no sailing clubs in Pittsburgh

Cheers

Bill
I was not singling you out Badfish but hey if you feel guilty...maybe you are...kidding.
I know that when the female gender posts on the forums, occasionally they get hit on. As you have probably seen in some recent threads some of the female sailors got down right attacked. I think a lot of the time they end up being chased away. JMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I know that when the female gender posts on the forums, occasionally they get hit on.
"Hit on"? Arrrr, now all is clear ........I had noticed that a female name in the "Meets & Greets" Section attracts a somewhat longer thread than one bearing a name like "Hairy ar#ed Sailorman".........I wondered why that was

Quote:
As you have probably seen in some recent threads some of the female sailors got down right attacked. I think a lot of the time they end up being chased away. JMHO
Mmmm. I don't read all the threads on here (honest ) - but that might be a reference to the woman (or at least someone who claimed to be) wanting to meet a man to provide free holidays. I recall I added my 2 cents (in a gender neutral manner ) and in accordance with good form on CF.com moved on......IMO the ladies on CF.com do get treated a lot nicer than the fellas - I dunno why, as most of those I meet in real life are more than capable of holding their own / prefer a degree of honesty.........after all, this is not a dating site

FWIW I think the reason many of the ladies do not stick around is that they have better things to do with their time ...........Or they quickly sail off into the sunset with one of the Hairy ar#ed Sailormen on here
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Hairy ar#ed Sialormen...I like it!!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg:cubalibre
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-02-2009, 15:57   #34

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Hello Kris,
... Welcome to the sailing fraternity. There's so many books written on sailing, you could end up spending your whole life reading about it, instead of what you should be doing, and that is ... SAILING! ... So my suggestion would be ... Just Do It!
... Many people have simply got themselves a boat and pushed off from the shore ... myself inclded. Just remember one thing ... the moment you let go the dock, you're on your own. But if you are a quick learner you'll survive.
... You've been given a lot of good advice so far, if you want to keep it at the 'hobby' level, sign up and take the 'US Power Squadron' boating course ... [a little assumption on my part that the USPS is similar to the Canadian PS] ... Here you can learn all the basics without even setting foot on a deck. These courses are relatively low cost and often held of an evening, particularly through the winter period. Training is of a professional standard and can be beneficial toward obtaining a commercial license.
... once you have all this information under your belt, get on a boat and put the information into practice.
... As for books, as previously said, there's an abundance of reading available. Much of it is ancient and although interesting, I would think you should read something that has been written of recent times. Lyn and Larry Pardey are world sailors and sell books on their life on the oceans. Very valuable information covering all aspects of the sailing life. Their very first book was: "Cruising in Seraffyn" ... a good read about actually building their first [wooden] boat and their first voyages. They also have CD's and DVD's that are very well done.
... Re: Pukers ... don't worry about that. I hate to admit it but at least once a year I have such a problem ... usually in a choppy sea following a storm and no wind. You will get over it. ... BTW I'm 76 and I've been sailing for a great many years, so it can happen to anyone and, no, I don't drink.
... If you want to educate yourself on good cruising boats, pick up a copy of "Good Old Boat" the magazine for the rest of us. Actually, the best sail boat mag on the market for passionate sailors. Full of information on affordable [used] boats ... not a sales mag, but one in which you might find what you're looking for. No high priced modern Jelly Bean boats in it, only what the title implies ... Good Old Boat(s).
... Good luck to you and fair winds too.
Old 07-02-2009, 16:33   #35

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
I am beginning to wonder whether someone is putting an additive in the local water supply lately, because we seem to be having a plethora of ladies seeking to fulfill a recently aquired desire to explore the sailing/cruiser world! Well you and they have chosen the right location to explore and expand those possibilities. Most questions relating to the general subject can be found here. So welcome…All members to greater and lesser degrees are fully in sympathy as to your/our common objectives.

To be more specific, I don’t know what sailing options are available in your location, however you are a student and most universities normally have boating/sailing club within their social programmes so start there. ( If they don’t then check the student union publications/ new boards and either reply to existing offers for crew slots or place a note seeking sailing opportunities and see what happens. As others within the thread have advised ( Check the listings of the nearest yacht clubs to you and introduce yourself ). In any event get some local opportunities and begin to learn the basics. ( if you can’t find any local practical experience, then go on line and do the theory… There’s lot to learn)

While doing so put on your Psychology cap and analyse; the what and why you are so moved. Then use your Philosophy cap to apply a practical programme to achieve it in parallel TO FINISHING YOUR EDUCATION.

This may involve, day dinghy sailing, weekends with friend, weekends in training course etc. Then when you have the basics, more advance practical courses and crewing possibilities during the longer holiday periods. Keep posting in the crew wanted section here in the CF, listing your growing skills. I am sure that the increasing skill base will create invitations ( of the right kind) and you will accumulate more experience WHILE YOU FINISH YOUR EDUCATION. Your long holiday period makes you (If with at least the basic skills) extremely attractive to know, as many here in the CF have difficulty in finding crew for the longer/ often more interesting trips.

Then with that behind you ( can be all done this year) you can post again “an experienced crew available notice” and maybe then your endeavors will allow you to use your winter holiday to learn in places where I and many others are located who have the similar difficulty of finding crew for longer passages/trip.

In summary this means that a similar programme WHILE YOU FINISH YOUR EDUCATION, GRADUATE WITH HONOURS, can not only learn to sail, but have access to the sea, for a much larger length of time than those who actually own a boat in North USA can normally do. So think it out, make a plan and good luck.

By the way, did I mention, that I believe it would be really a nice idea if you could find a way to graduate while pursuing your nautical dream.

Regards

Alan
... You shouldn't have told your father you were posting on this forum ...
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21   #36

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
... You shouldn't have told your father you were posting on this forum ...

I believe I shall take that as a compliment

Regards

Alan
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35   #37

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Hi Kris: I didn't read through the entire thread so someone may have given you this info already, but thought I'd drop in my 2˘. I grew up in Pittsburgh, and learned to sail on lakes in western PA. A number of the larger state parks have (or at least had) small sailing dinghies for rent. You can really learn ALL of the most important basics of sailing on these. After that, it just a matter of experience with larger boats, engines, and charts. Once you've learned to sail, I would strongly recommend going to one of the week-long sailing courses you can find, where you can get courses like basic seamanship, basic cruising, and bareboat cruising all in a single week. I know for sure there are a number of good ones in FL and the BVI, and I'm sure elsewhere as well. Not cheap, but good experience, and a chance to get on the water. By then you'll know what you want to do.

Good luck! Let me know if you need more info. Pete
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03   #38

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Kris, try sailing classes first. If you are going to crew..then you should at least have an idea of what you are going to do. Plus it helps with termiology. And it allowas you to get a feel of what you'll be doing...charting, plotting etc.
Old 09-02-2009, 16:34   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You never want to be out in the middle of

"Black Water" Yukkkkk

"Blue Water"......

Seriously, there has to be some sailing on Lake Erie, right?

Check out sailing groups up there....The water is pretty hard right now
Old 09-02-2009, 17:48   #40

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
Go down to the local yacht club @ 7:30 on a nice Saturday morning. Walk the docks and ask if anyone needs crew. Tell them you know nothing about sailing and then immediately say "but I brought a bucket of chicken and a 12 pack of beer". You will be set up for the season.

As for where you should head - if you are in the Northern Hemisphere - South. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere - North.
Old 09-02-2009, 17:48   #41

Boat: Columbia 41
I would suggest you contact Teresa Kerry at tcarey78@yahoo.com. She lives on her boat in Maine. She can tell you all about it.
Old 09-02-2009, 18:15   #42

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisAubrey View Post
I imagine this may sound ridiculous and that I may sound naive, I assume that is because it does and I am. I just don't know where to start.

Rahter than throw everything away have you tought of trying a semester at sea. Here is a link: Semester at Sea - Quick Facts I have no idea how much is transferable but it is worth a try.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 09-02-2009, 18:21   #43

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Rahter than throw everything away have you tought of trying a semester at sea. Here is a link: Semester at Sea - Quick Facts I have no idea how much is transferable but it is worth a try.
Both my sisters and my younger brother did semester at sea. They loved it and got to sail around the world while learning. Highly recommend it.
Old 09-02-2009, 18:52   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Wow!!

I would love to send my boys on one of those. They would learn and experience so much.

But alas it is like a lot of life's experiences. It takes money.

Anybody got an extra 50 grand?
Old 30-03-2009, 09:22   #45

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"
I fully understand you. All my life the ocean has drawn me. On my fourth and last boat as I really love this one and its history. Start by buying any boat, they are cheap now in California. Perhaps all us sailors were doing the same in a past life time. Good luck