Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:31   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have noticed a bunch of bashing and snide comments about ladies who are sailors here on this forum despite the fact the men dislike those who bash--i think the guys with the biggest and nastiest hammers must have a height problem lol--good luck sweetie and do well...i must finish my repower of my boat--installing 4-108!!!!! without their help lol........

I like your attitude Sweetheart! (BTW, that's an old Southern boy thing, not a come on). How do ya like that clipper bowed leaky teaky? I hear ya about rebuilding 4-108's as mine locked up tight. Good luck with that.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:33   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisAubrey View Post
Are there a lot of people like this sailing? You're bad water, man.
Ive never been called a troll though; I wouldn't mind being a Nordic giant - perhaps then, I could find a sailor tie him up and make him show me the sea.

(get it - viking - troll. ha)
Honey, you're just in the wrong place is all. You need to get on the coast somewhere and go sailing. If it's what ya really want, move somewhere and go for it...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38   #63

Boat: Manta 40
Can't believe it!

Usually when I post something that is little smart arsish I get an interesting witty response and we both walk away with a chuckle. I've been warned!

Well I should really know better, when comes to a woman and her needs and what I should be doing I just need to get in line. How many times do I need to learn that one

Sorry Kris, it sounds like you would be an excellent addition to any crew.

This thread has inspired me:

"When the black water is all around there will be no moderators to be found...."

I think that's going to be my new sig
Old 07-05-2009, 16:04   #64

next time i make a thread I'm putting in the title "IM A WOMAN" so people will respond...seems to work on here
Old 07-05-2009, 18:49   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
next time i make a thread I'm putting in the title "IM A WOMAN" so people will respond...
It sort of depends on if you are or not. The responses are what they are but the responders may not be what they seem. The posters have enough dealing with what they want let alone what they are. Here at CF we offer a money back assurance of what you paid for the post if not satisfied. Since we let anyone join you get to pick from anyone that wants to.
Old 07-05-2009, 20:01   #66

Boat: 1969 Coronado 25'
A different approach

Kris,
The tone of your post reminded me of me, just 2 or 3 years ago. I first looked on Craigslist and typed the word "sail" or "sailing" into the purely platonic section of the personals. After two lovely days sailing on Tomales Bay and knowing almost nothing of sailing, I desparately wanted by own sailboat. I then got on the Latitude 38 crew list out here...I don't know is there something like that in your area....and crewed a handful of times on SF Bay. Of course I listed "little or no experience" and as my gender is female, I found myself on every occasion alone with just the male boat owner "crewing". They were nice men I am sure, as they did me no harm, but I was asked out on dates on each venture. And with each successive crewing experience being like the one before, I dropped crewing altogether and joined the HMB yacht club. There were some fun sailing days there but it just wasn't as adventurous as I wanted to be straight away. The boats were tiny daysailers and packed with two and four people. I am socially retarded in groups and so I canceled my membership and, by this time REALLY hungry for sailing and a boat, I began thinking about buying, and then looking.
I found my little Coronado 25 after just two weeks of looking. I bought her for less than $2000. She is dry, her sails are old but in fair condition.
I knew nothing. But the learning curve for sailing since I bought her is amazing! And people in the harbor are so friendly and lend a hand. And though I am still swatting fellows like flies, at least I am in control of who is on my boat and for what reason and I decide how much help I need or don't need with things.
More women should own their own boats. It has been just 2 years now but this boat is the love of my life and sailing her when I want, where I want and how I want has been the most wonderful experience ever!
This might be the sort of path you could take if you are like me and crave your own adventures straight away.
Everyone said "You are crazy."
And now everyone is just crazy jealous.
Do it.
Old 07-05-2009, 20:07   #67

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisAubrey View Post
I would like at the very least suggestions in literature -
Don't know if anyone has answered this, but if I were you, I'd start with Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi. There are a number of threads on books about boating/voyaging - should be able to find them with the search function; there're loads of great books on the subject. There are plenty of blogs/websites too - bumfuzzle.com gives a very readable neophytes' perspective.

Fair winds.
Old 07-05-2009, 20:13   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
keep having fun an dthen show them how..lol...everyone always says we are crazy--is fun.....enjoy!!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 20:34   #69

Boat: Farrier f27
Jennymar, real nice post in a way only a fellow woman sailor could.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:01   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymar View Post
I found my little Coronado 25 after just two weeks of looking. I bought her for less than $2000. She is dry, her sails are old but in fair condition.

I knew nothing. But the learning curve for sailing since I bought her is amazing!
Good on ya Surprised more folk (male / female / other? ) don't take this approach and simply getting stuck in - don't need to start on your hearts desire or what yer want to RTW in 5/10 years time. And don't need to be making epic voyages when starting out. Indeed, don't need to make epic voyages period to enjoy yourself afloat.

Always gonna learn a lot more as skipper of your own boat than as crew / on charter (not to say that these are not also useful / fun )...........as after all, when the buck fully stops with you tends to concentrate the mind - and you can't simulate / train for that feeling of ultimate responsibility.

USD2k? for the training and practice available over 2 years IMO that's outstanding value - plus yer even get the chance to get some of that cash back
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04   #71

Boat: pilot cutter
I thought 'black water' was what was found in the head holding tank. And I see in the profile that the original poster has the parrot already. LOL! It seems she wants to be a pirate, not a sailor per se. Ah, the romance of the young!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:11   #72

Assuming you are serious, I'm heading south from the Virgin islands after Xmas. and looking for crew. If inteested Email me at dayjoe@yahoo.com.
Old 20-12-2009, 18:45   #73

Boat: hunter 31 " Jacobs Dream"
Send a message via ICQ to Charlesc Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesc
I can relate

I know the feeling of what you describe Kris. i am a 55 yr old tugboat captaiin who works 21 days straight pushing barges around the ICW and gulf coast and 10 days off. Ironiclly,, on my way home to my wife of 26 yrs, i find myself stopping by the marina to visit my hunter 30 sailboat before going home. Some say I have issues, and others say i have salt water in my veins. I just say that i have heard the calling of the sea. even at a later age in life..

Regarding your thirst for knoledge and sailing,, Find a yachclub or marina and go visit, most boat owners i know are pretty friendly people.

Best regards and Merry Christmas to you all and Fair Winds

Capt Charles Creel
200 Ton Masters
S/V Jacob's Dream