Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2008, 03:49   #1

Boat: Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck, 48', Kwakatu
Crew Needed for Philippine to Hawaii Passage

Owner of 48' Diesel Duck (Seahorse Marine 462) has been shaking down motor yacht delivered in Oct '06 in South China Sea to Phuket. Now berthed in Subic Bay, Philippines preparing for passage starting early February with stops planned in Palau, Micronesia, and Marshall Islands.

Owner has significant experience in ocean passage making.

Non-smokers preferred. Crew is responsible for travel and related costs to and from the yacht.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:34   #2

Hello
Are you going to end your voyage in hawaii or continue on to the mainland? Also how long do you estimate your voyage will be? I am an american visiting the philippines and I am interested in crewing. I have no experience though.
Thanks
You can email me at
auto493398@safe-mail.net
Old 21-01-2008, 14:58   #3

Kwakatu's Passage Plan

Dear Auto... Thanks for your reply. We will be continuing on to Washington state after a 30 day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands. Crew is welcome to join us on that continuing passage but I cannot make any commitments yet regarding your being able to stay aboard during the full 30 days in Hawaii. Kwakatu is scheduled to arrive in Hilo on April 26. Ports of call scheduled on this passage include Palau, Weno (Chuuk State), Kolonia (Phonpei), Lele (Kosrae), Majoro (Marshall Islands), possibly Christmas or Fanning Island, and Hilo. Lay days at these ports of call are scheduled and vary from two to five days. This is a long, hot, bumpy passage to weather that I cannot adequately describe to a non-sailor. I will have to think a bit longer about having you aboard if you are still interested, and I will require additional information about your background and experiences. Are you presently in the Philippines and could you get to Olongapo (Subic Bay, Luzon) for an interview? If you wish to continue the discussion please respond in a private e-mail. Dave
Old 21-01-2008, 15:07   #4

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Dave,

I would highly recommend Palmyra Atoll as long as you are in the Fanning Island area. It is owned by the Conservatory of the Pacific and you must have permission in advance to land there. If you are interested, let me know and I can forward the info to you.

The only thing that Christmas Island is good for is obtaining fuel. Other than that, it's pretty bleak.
Old 21-01-2008, 17:08   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am across the dock from Kwakatu and I can vouch that he has a very well found and outfitted boat, run by a very experienced sailor. Good opportunity for someone to learn from a master.
Old 03-02-2008, 16:26   #6

Hi,
I have little experience as a crew member but my husband and I plan to retire in a few years and would like to get a Diesel Duck. I would love to get some experience and especially be able to check out the duck. I am now in Boise, Idaho, so I would have to make travel arrangements. Please let me know if we can work something out.
Patty
Old 07-02-2008, 22:35   #7

Patty, I suggest you contact Bill Kimley at Seahorse Yachts in Zhuhai China for the names of owners of his Ducks in the States. I am sure he will put you in contact with one or more and that thew will be pleased to show you the boat.

Tell Bill I sent you.

As for crewing, if this were a short passage I would welcome you. Unfortunately is is a long difficult series of passages and I have no room for the inexperienced crew. Please stay in touch via e-mail (reference "Diesel Duck" in the subject so I do not spam you).

Dave Fritsch
Kwakatu
DD462-04
dfritsch2000@yahoo.com
Old 04-03-2008, 13:53   #8

How long do you anticipate the trip to be to Hawaii.
Kirk
Old 05-03-2008, 22:59   #9

Kwakatu

Kirk,

Presently in Palau and departing in several days. You could join us in Majuro, Marshall Islands. Passage from there to Hilo planned for 15 days.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10   #10

How is your trip going so far and were you able to secure crew for the journey? If you like I can be reached at Kirk@RV-Sinks.com if it is more convenient.