Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 15:55   #1

Crew newbie looking for chance to gain experience on US West Coast

I am a 32 year old male US Navy officer with limited hands on experience in sailing who is looking for opportunities to increase my practical sailing skills under the guidance of a veteran skipper. I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area and looking for everything from daysails here in the Bay to multiday trips departing or arriving here. Anything up to a week in US waters can be arranged on short notice, longer trips or those that go outside the US will require more advanced planning.

As a qualified submarine officer I learned a number of skills relevant to sailing including:
-Navigation and chart reading
-Watch standing rotation and responsibilities
-Rules of the Road and collision avoidance
-Radio communications
-General seamanship (not prone to sea-sickness, water conservation, etc.)

My practical sailing experience is unfortunately limited to day sails on Bermuda rigged monohulls. I am however a very fast learner and will enthusiastically apply myself if provided the opportunity to get more hands on training as part of your crew. I am especially curious to spend some time at sea with other hull types and rigs, but I will eagerly jump at any chance to get underway.

I am not looking for a paid position, just the chance to work as part of the crew and earn my keep during the voyage. I am available anytime between now and Spring of 2014. Please drop a reply on this forum if you have any further questions.

-Dave
Old 22-03-2014, 21:02   #2

Re: Crew newbie looking for chance to gain experience on US West Coast

Hi Dave , my father(age 90) & myself age 52 are transitioning from a22' liechen to a42' brewer. We have hired a professional captain to help us transition. We keep the boat in Washington and will make many 3 week trips up this year. We like to gunkhole around the sanJuans a little help on deck would be good. If you are interested my #is209-480-9440. Safety and respect are always the number 1 priority.
Sincerely, michael
Old 23-03-2014, 04:41   #3

Boat: Bavaria 36

I might be interested, my wife and I expect to relocate to Seattle this summer. Our sailing experience is east coast. Everything I have read suggests the Salish Sea is very different. I would like to gain knowledge before investing in our replacement boat.
If time permits and your if your seeking another hand for the San Juan to San Fran I could use that trip as well. 53 yr old non smoker
Old 23-03-2014, 13:25   #4

Hi, our interests for the next few years does not extend to water sailing">blue water sailing. We will primarily be sailing/gunk holing in the San Juan's and points north. Please feel free to call me@ 2094809440. Your seattle location will be quite good. We keep the boat in squimm. We try to spend 3 weeks on it every other month during sailing season
Sincerely,
Michael Winn Sherwood
Old 24-03-2014, 11:51   #5

Michael

Thanks for the interest but just last week I got a new job and I will not be available for any cruising for a while. Fair winds and following seas.
-Dave

Tags
crew, enc, west coast