Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:28   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
At least you appear to be tackling this trip with far more insight than some others e.g. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-20095.html Good luck with this endeavour.
Accurate statement, but definitely a low blow
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Yes, boats imported by new immigrants are still subject to GST and duty (duty does not apply to NZ sourced boats though).
Into Aussie I think it's only NZ built boats that are duty free.

Quote:
NZ allows immigrants' boats (and aircraft too) free of import taxes and duties.
As long as they have had them for a while. At least a year I think. And if you sweet talk no GST (local sales tax) either.
Old 10-10-2008, 14:28   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Buying with the head, as well as the heart...

The Lavranos does look to be a nice boat, but I would suggest that some serious analysis be done.

This might include considering questions like
- Do I really want a boat now in another country?
- What sort of boat would I buy if there was no emotional attachment?
- Is this boat priced to sell in today's market?
- If the executor put the boat to auction could I bid on it, and what might the outcome be?
Old 10-10-2008, 17:00   #19

He says he has already bought it.
Old 10-10-2008, 17:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Into Aussie I think it's only NZ built boats that are duty free.
Am sure you mean't GST free GMac - yes, the vessel must have originated in NZ, but I am unsure of what the exact rules of origin are for boats in CER. Duty still applies regardless, unless that has changed very recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
As long as they have had them for a while. At least a year I think. And if you sweet talk no GST (local sales tax) either.
12 months ownership required and that is before the time at which the boat is shipped or sets sail on its own bottom ie the time sailing here doesn't count as far a I am aware. Although I don't know how that would be managed if sailed to NZ with a boat not meeting that time at departure and one entered with a visitors permit (and temporarily importing the boat) then later applied for a permanent residence permit - or if one had bought the boat 2 weeks before setting sail and spent 10 years meandering ones way here. But I suspect good commonsense would be applied despite Aunty Helen's 9 years of doing everything she can to kill it. There is no GST nor duty (normally totals 18% from memory). Ownership must be maintained in NZ for 2 years else the GST/duty is charged. And only applies to pleasure vessels .

John
Old 10-10-2008, 18:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

Any boats built in either AUS or NZ that swap countries do not attract Duty. They all do get charged GST though. If the boat comes with you when you move countries and you hang onto it for 2 years they wave the GST usually. They don't have to by law but usually do if it's a 'personal' item you have owned for a while, as in at least 12 months. The longer you've owned it the better the chances of not being taxed. Anything slightly commercial and it's pay up time. Rock up in a suit and Lambo with attitude and get the chequebook out as well. Smoozing the right person seems to be the the key thing.

NZ Duty is 7% and NZ GST (sale tax) is 12.5%. Duty is decreasing each year and it will be down to zero in 2112 I think.

It's all about where the boat was built.

Visiting boats in NZ get up to 12 months to look around before the tax man cometh with palm up turned. In NZ they don't hunt you down as such and will give you time to leave. Some will even suggest (very quietly) you take a quick month trip to the Pac islands and then come back, the clock is reset The same in AUS I think but I've heard they aren't quite as tame as the NZ guys when the time is up, they do come looking and suggest you pull finger and leave.

I just been through it all with a Aussie built 55fter I brought to NZ for a Aussie passport holder who's move here permanently.
Old 10-10-2008, 18:44   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
The Tasman Sea is very rough. I wouldn't do it with a new-to-me boat and even with a familiar boat I'd probably take a very northern route.
Yes, its out of the trade winds LOL.

But I would take the rhumb line from the north of NZ then you should have most prevailing winds up the butt - S, SE, E, NE. Oh and pay for a Bob McDavitt weather report. Worth its weight in rocking horse poop!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-10-2008, 19:08   #23
Marine Service Provider

The Tazzie is usually S - SW once below the top end of NZ. It has big waves but isn't that rough unless the weather packs up, if it does then watch out. Lots of the swell is just big nasties from the Southern Ocean winding down as they roll north.

Generally no need for weather people. Just watch what weather Melbourne has and expect it a day or 2 later. Easy peasy.
Old 11-10-2008, 14:16   #24

Boat: Atkinson 14m, Touche
Force 8,
Around you in Wellington, or anywhere in NZ for that matter, is a wealth of free knowledge and help. Get along to a yacht club, join if necessary, you will find help and advice. Like all advice sift it, discard some and learn.
I bought my yacht from Nelson a year ago and the sail to Auckland was my first real adventure. A year later we are still liveaboards and what seemed difficult then seems easy now. We're now planning for offshore.
You have the dream, don't let small hills become mountains.
drob
Old 11-10-2008, 14:55   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
If you havn't brought the boat yeat...

If you havn't brought the boat yet I'll put in my usual caveat about buying a steel boat.

Check very carefully for rust. Look in the bilge. If you're lucky it will be dusty. Look for rust streaks on the internal hull plating. Get a torch and a mirror and look along the stringers and where the frames meet the hull.

This should really be no different to buying any boat. Once you have done all the checks that you can think off employ a reputable (and not just recommended by brokers) surveyor.

And finally remember that goods sold at distressed or forced estate sales can go very cheaply, though if there is already some strain between family members a robust approach may result in a "divorce" .
Old 11-10-2008, 16:14   #26
Marine Service Provider

He already owns the boat.
Old 21-10-2008, 01:17   #27

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Force 8
I reckon its a good idea doing such a trip from NZ to Aussie.
Selecting you skipper. Make sure he or she is what he or she says they are. Their experience is what matters.
Dont be fooled.

I recommend very strongly having a laptop through either sat phone or SSB and get weather faxes. This is modern weather forcasting and in 2008 is very clever up to 8 days forcasting. Preparation is everything both on the land and on the water.
Old 21-10-2008, 04:42   #28

I have just been given some really good advice. Keep a weather diary.....

Check the BOM and NZ IZ charts daily. Make a prediction of what you think may happen for the next four days. And do this daily . Add / check.

You will be surprised and it will help.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:49   #29

Hi,

If you did not find a crew yet I can help you. I have just returned from Tenerrife where I had training. My colleague is the Captain with big experience (30.000miles). If you are interested contac me. We can do it together in Jan 2010. Regards, Tomek (ritesp@o2.pl)

Tags
Australia