Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 20:12   #1

Crew Wanted: Seattle to San Francisco, Dec '09

Looking for 2/3 to crew to San Francisco next month. Air fare back to Seattle will be provided. Will grab first available window and go, 4/5 days is all it will take. I can be emailed @ ecsjr8@msn.com
Old 13-11-2009, 08:21   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
That's a pretty optimistic agenda. You can expect a lot of Southerlies and nasty weather as well.

I've done the trip a couple of times.

Once on a Lord Nelson 35 which took 7 days from Port Angeles WA.

The other trip was on a Gulfstar 44 which took 8 days from Seattle.

Both trips were underway 24/7 with 3 crew, had favorable winds with no Southerlies.

Oh yes, and these were done in August.

Steve B.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsjr View Post
Looking for 2/3 to crew to San Francisco next month. Air fare back to Seattle will be provided. Will grab first available window and go, 4/5 days is all it will take. I can be emailed @ ecsjr8@msn.com

Are you serious? At this time of year? I would rethink this if I were you. I sail these waters and don't mind Gales or crappy weather but you would NOT find me off this coast at this time of year...
Old 13-11-2009, 08:29   #4

I will be doing this in a Nordhavn 46, not looking for advice as much as a crew
Old 13-11-2009, 10:10   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 - Betty Lou
Advice to crew... skip this trip =)
Old 13-11-2009, 10:52   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Kind of reminds me of a new 70 ft steel fishing trawler built at Bock Marine back in 1995--it was January, and they decided to take it up around Hatteras "We're tough fishermen, the boat can take it". The Coast Guard had to come out and get them...
Old 13-11-2009, 11:02   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
ecsir,

posting on this forum and not expecting opinions or advice is wishful thinking and maybe an impossiblity.
Ask the US Coast Guard on the West Coast for their thoughts and recommendations.

please keep us informed of your trip.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
ecsjr, good luck with that trip if ya take it. A good strong boat ya have there but there have been many a fine and much stronger ship strewn along this coast. They don't call it "The Graveyard of the Pacific" for nothin'.
Old 13-11-2009, 15:13   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I'm with the rest of the PacNW'ers. In December? Noooo, thank you.

Friend of mine did it a few years ago in late November. In a 55' Hereschoff. A former Netherlands national sailing champ. 2-time circumnavigator.

Clawed off the Oregon coast for 8 days when one of our little winter storms came up out of nowhere. He said it was the worst passage he had ever had in his 50 years of sailing. "Never again!"

Good luck!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 29-11-2009, 06:01   #10

The trip can certainly be made safely. It does require monitoring the weather carefully at this time of year. The Nordhavn is a fine vessel, but if the weather is nasty, several of the harbors along the way may not have safe bar crossing conditions. If you are crew seeking passage, get references from the Captain and what his experiences are. I think his anticipated schedule is a bit optimistic.
Old 30-11-2009, 23:55   #11

crew available

Edimel Manalo
+639216848275
chuktsak77@yahoo.com
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17   #12

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I live on the Oregon coast - I would be hard pressed to be found outside of the bar of our harbor for more than a day sail in our Ingrid. There can be some fine days here at this time of the year - but finding more than one or two in a row can be pretty tough.
The guys in the cat that was being delivered from South Africa a couple of years apparently thought they could beat the odds against the weather and keep their schedule.

Old 02-12-2009, 16:38   #13

Greetings,

I would like to work as a crew in your boat. I am a marine engineer graduate and working in a vessel for almost 10 years.

Edimel Manalo
+639216848275
chuktsak77@yahoo.com
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
I live on the Oregon coast - I would be hard pressed to be found outside of the bar of our harbor for more than a day sail in our Ingrid. There can be some fine days here at this time of the year - but finding more than one or two in a row can be pretty tough.
The guys in the cat that was being delivered from South Africa a couple of years apparently thought they could beat the odds against the weather and keep their schedule.
That was on the Captain, who apparently knew about the storm (everybody knew about that particular storm days in advance) and went anyway. His crew, some on their first delivery paid the price. There's always someone willing to take the chance on a voyage like this without the knowledge to make that choice. Sometimes they pay the ultimate price... The weather this past week would've been good for this trip. Would it last for the entire trip? Who knows...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04   #15

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
So true, Charlie!

Tags
san francisco, seattle