Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 15:44   #31
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Not to put petrol on a fire...

...but yea here comes the petrol...

A circumnavigation does not equal an experienced delivery skipper. While there are some obvious skill sets that overlap there are also certain skills that a professional delivery skipper has that many a circumnavigator doesn't.

I hate to even say this on this forum but just because someone has gone around the world does not make them a great or professional sailor.

A good delivery skipper doesn't just get your boat from point a to point b safely but, among a million other things, he does it without incurring undue cost or excessive wear and tear. And like a tradesman such as a painter or carpenter, a good delivery skipper is under demand and the not so good - well I guess they will take 100/day.

That said there are plenty of good delivery skippers out there who are In cruising mode...

Shame to see such a highly skilled profession being so underbid...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 04-01-2012, 18:13   #32
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
To finalize my part of this thread, my search for a skipper has been fulfilled. I received ninty seven responses from findacrew. The guy I have selected has done one complete circumnavagation with the return around the Cape of Good Hope. He also had done two other Trans-Atlantic's, with one on a Leopard 46 catamaran. Plus he had done many other near shore deliveries and worked as a sailboat charter captain for several years in the Balearic's. Besides the personality fit that I think we have, he is currently in Antigua and heading to St. Maarten in a month. His home port is Ibiza so I don't have any travel expenses.

Now, if any of you have some good suggestions for cruising the Balearic's, they would be appreciated. (I'll start a new thread )

I still have to check his references but feel confident they will be good. Thanks All,
David.
Thank you Boatman and Atoll for the very good advice. I'm sure before I leave I'll pick your brains a bit more.

Foolish Sailor, did you even bother to read the above quoted post? Please, really, I have to know. Did you?

Because if you did, you would find there are multiple ocean crossings, working as a charter captain, and working as a delivery skipper. The only petrol on the fire I see you bringing up is an imaginary one made up by you to keep a long over thread alive.

But, please - keep it up. Show the world how a professional delivery captain pays attention to detail. So far, so good.
Old 04-01-2012, 18:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Thank you Boatman and Atoll for the very good advice. I'm sure before I leave I'll pick your brains a bit more.

Foolish Sailor, did you even bother to read the above quoted post? Please, really, I have to know. Did you?

Because if you did, you would find there are multiple ocean crossings, working as a charter captain, and working as a delivery skipper. The only petrol on the fire I see you bringing up is an imaginary one made up by you to keep a long over thread alive.

But, please - keep it up. Show the world how a professional delivery captain pays attention to detail. So far, so good.
no worries i,ve good frinds in palma and ibiza who have cruised/work extensively there,so if you need current info can pass it on.
feet on the ground.
Old 04-01-2012, 18:24   #34
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I do want to make one more point before I remove my subscription to this thread. And that is - I've never felt I was scumming around on the CF.
Old 04-01-2012, 18:33   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I do want to make one more point before I remove my subscription to this thread. And that is - I've never felt I was scumming around on the CF.
i think this more than proves that!!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rum-74197.html
Old 04-01-2012, 19:01   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Pallarin. this young couple (whose irreverent posts I love) just spent time in the Balearics. It may be worthwhile looking at their 3 or 4 last posts; seems there were a few anchorages they really liked.
Old 04-01-2012, 19:12   #37

Boat: 33ft sloop

100 US$ is not that irregular for a delivery-skipper. In the before Euro era. Nowadays it might be different. If the insurance coy wants full license, it will be very hard. In spite of the 80 volunteers.
Apparently the boat is insured in the US.
Old 04-01-2012, 20:41   #38
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Palarran

As this is a community forum posts are not always directed solely at the op but also at the community as they are all involved in the conversation.

Something i would have thought obvious to someone as yourself with over 1600 posts to this forum.

Im glad you found your skipper and that there is a 'personality fit' - he must be a saint.

Cheers

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

I don't think $100 a day (plus food / flights) is too bad (around £500 a week) on an extended gig - won't get rich, but a bit more than beer and skittles money. But IMO for only a few days / a week - not really worth the aggro / hassle......but some people will do just about anything to avoid a "real" job! (no criticism meant by that!).

Probably also want to check his PII policy is still current, in case he does something that your insurance company walks away from. and probably also best to make sure he ain't loading up with Colombia's finest .
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

DOJ.... sshhhhhh... stop clarifying the water...
Foolishsailor..... while I agree generally with your sentiments the keen amateur/freelance delivery skipper is invaluable to the 'poorer sailor' who figures that giving up the annual summer holiday to pay for his boat to be moved from say the UK to the Med would be a great idea... but maybe lack the skills or time to do it himself... invariably they contact the 'Professionals' who look, laugh and then hand them a work/things to buy list usually running to thousands of pounds...
So... we get scraped outa the bottom of the bin...
We wander up and look at the boat... maybe tell him to invest in a new inflatable.. GPS/CP.. no worries got charts and a H/H... old sails... no worries I'll bring my kit... no Insurance.. no worries just get 3rd Party for the marina's...
We're not just easier on the price for the job.....
I have been told I'm stealing food from peoples plates... (by a Pro' charging 3 times as much)
no I'm not...
I'm feeding on the scraps the 'Pro's' have tossed away...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
DOJ.... sshhhhhh... stop clarifying the water...
Foolishsailor..... while I agree generally with your sentiments the keen amateur/freelance delivery skipper is invaluable to the 'poorer sailor' who figures that giving up the annual summer holiday to pay for his boat to be moved from say the UK to the Med would be a great idea... but maybe lack the skills or time to do it himself... invariably they contact the 'Professionals' who look, laugh and then hand them a work/things to buy list usually running to thousands of pounds...
So... we get scraped outa the bottom of the bin...
We wander up and look at the boat... maybe tell him to invest in a new inflatable.. GPS/CP.. no worries got charts and a H/H... old sails... no worries I'll bring my kit... no Insurance.. no worries just get 3rd Party for the marina's...
We're not just easier on the price for the job.....
I have been told I'm stealing food from peoples plates... (by a Pro' charging 3 times as much)
no I'm not...
I'm feeding on the scraps the 'Pro's' have tossed away...
recently i,ve been approached by a number of professional companies to sub contract deliveries for them,..........and guess how much they are paying.......a hundred dollars a day or less!!!

so next time you go to one of the so called professional delivery companys and get quoted a price that you need to sit down and take deep breaths..

what you are actually paying for is a fancy website,a few testamonials and an ex delivery skipper who sits in his cosy office,getting the other half of the fee...............
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40   #42
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

recently i,ve been approached by a number of professional companies to sub contract deliveries for them,..........and guess how much they are paying.......a hundred dollars a day or less!!!

so next time you go to one of the so called professional delivery companys and get quoted a price that you need to sit down and take deep breaths..

what you are actually paying for is a fancy website,a few testamonials and an ex delivery skipper who sits in his cosy office,getting the other half of the fee...............
Exactly. I find it disgusting that people react to a $3,000 for a month job offer like if it's a pile of sh?t. Just wait a little while longer and see how these "low paid" jobs dry up too. Unless you speak Chinese, Indian or Korean of course, because that is where all these jobs are moving to.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:49   #43
cruiser

$3k for all that hustle.it is not worth. some one must be very desperate or have dodgy experience to take it.i have that same amount of money in less than a couple of months sitting here in england,duing nothing living on benefits. and then in the summer in croatia as a charter skiper i will got it for a month plus tip and even something lay down after good night out.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
$3k for all that hussle.it is not worth. some one must be very desperate or have dodgy experience to take it.i have that same amount of money in less than a couple of months sitting here in england,duing nothing living on benefits. and then in the summer in croatia as a charter skiper i will got it for a month plus tip and even something lay down after good night out.
Yup... very true...
But then some of us are not sponging the State... we are out scratching a benefit free living..
Guess when the State is paying for all your living costs 7 months+ of the year its easy to be fussy...
`Its lot tougher when that paltry $3K is your only hope of an income....
Try it sometime.....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
$3k for all that hustle.it is not worth. some one must be very desperate or have dodgy experience to take it.i have that same amount of money in less than a couple of months sitting here in england,duing nothing living on benefits. and then in the summer in croatia as a charter skiper i will got it for a month plus tip and even something lay down after good night out.
only a month,i take it you get fired regularly! lol

Tags
delivery, skipper