Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Delivery Skippers: Good and Bad

I have not nce suggested not to ask for recommendations from others--in fact I support that and have said so. What I am consistently saying is that it is often best to start with simply asking for references from actual clients. Take them with a grain of salt--of course. Trust or don't trust them, but anybody who wants to say anything he wants to can pretty much post it here..with or without reliability but likely to be less reliable than actual references and testimonials. The issue of a professional not providing "bad" references is clearly understood and has been fully addressed above. Of course a potential client can dig as deep as he or she wants BUT..sailorboy puts the term professionals as "rpfessionals" which seems odd and condescending and then negates the use of actual clients references provided by professionals by saying that asking here on CF is BETTER but then adds "I would also expect someone to dig deeper into recommendations they receive." What he is doing, or so it appears, is really trying to demean the professional image and character of professional (or "professional") boat captains. Instead of saying using many methods, which is what I say, though I suggest starting with the actual client, he is basically saying to disregard the actual professional and client...and then concludes " even though I'm sure their references would check out." So, which one is it One? The other? Both? But again...if you are a possible,,,maybe..one day boat owner...why even bother? Buy the boat for heaven's sake!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
I'm also interested in hearing any warnings or cautions you may have as well regarding specific skippers.

In fact, if you have any good outcome or even outright horror stories, I'm interested in hearing those too!
You seem to put the cart before the horse at this stage. Finding out the cost to move the boat across the ocean is one thing. Why has to so specific down to the name?

Buying a 27 to 33 footer sailboat in the States to move to UK is totally not worth the trouble and headache. If this is an academy research exercise for a term paper, it will be OK.

I am not sure if I would want to sail a 27 to 33 ft boat across the pond that I don't know.

I am just sayin'
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
BUT..sailorboy puts the term professionals as "rpfessionals" which seems odd and condescending and then negates the use of actual clients references provided by professionals by saying that asking here on CF is BETTER but then adds "I would also expect someone to dig deeper into recommendations they receive." What he is doing, or so it appears, is really trying to demean the professional image and character of professional (or "professional") boat captains.
I didn't demean anyone. Dig your panties out of your crack some instead of rewriting others words.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There are various "professionals" here on CF that I personally wouldn't ever consider hiring just based on their posts here, even though I'm sure their references would check out.
Just like anything else, there are always exceptions. Behind the keyboard, there are many different faces. Often posts on the forum can be easily misinterpreted or taken out of the context. I will give the man the benefit of the doubt. I reserve my comment until I have a chance to talk or meet him.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:58   #20
Marine Service Provider

I have no reason to rewrite anyone's words especially when they so clearly speak for themselves, for example, "Dig your panties out of your crack...". That's what my high school biology teacher Mr. Iacangelo used to refer to as an extemporaneous comment.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32   #21

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Paul get off your soap box and leave the OP alone for goodness sake. You said your piece many posts ago and your need to keep going on and on about it makes it look like you have a personal vendetta, or at least a pretty blunt axe to grind!

Also, please learn to use spacing!

The wall of text that you assault the thread with is incredibly hard to read.

Sincerely...
Old 12-03-2014, 12:46   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Paul get off your soap box and leave the OP alone for goodness sake. You said your piece many posts ago and your need to keep going on and on about it makes it look like you have a personal vendetta, or at least a pretty blunt axe to grind!

Also, please learn to use spacing!

The wall of text that you assault the thread with is incredibly hard to read.

Sincerely...
I agree with you on all counts. Plus, it certainly does not make it look "professional."

Coops.
Old 12-03-2014, 13:18   #23

Wannabe, thanks for saying what I wanted to say for a few deliver threads.
Old 12-03-2014, 23:31   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There was a famous (or not so) advertisement on the TV that showed a good looking girl talking to a friend on the street and the gist was that she had a mindset that if she read/saw something on the internet - "It must be true" and then she mentioned that she was going on a blind date arranged from the internet with a handsome man from France and the "guy " walks up who is obviously anything but as he greets her with "Bum Journe."

To believe as absolutely or even mostly true recommendations about delivery captains based on an internet forum discussion is, IMHO, the height of folly. And to ask for such recommendations shows - to me - either a desire to simply start a controversial (baiting) thread or a lack of reality about the veracity of anything posted on an internet forum.

Using the CF to gather basic information which can then be researched for veracity, I think is fine, but I would personally agree that based on the OP's originally stated objectives and position in time, asking for "experiences associated with names" is definitely getting into that "La-La" land of truth based on having read it on the internet.
Old 13-03-2014, 03:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
But mixed in amongst them were one or two that just didn't sell themselves as all round nice guys.
I have always been a bit interested in what criteria people use when selecting delivery crew. Like whether people value the "nice guy" factor more than whether the delivery captain has a pedantic blog about how great they are or what type of certification they have.

Personally, I would look for a guy like boatman61. Someone who is experienced and capable, but also maybe doesn't take himself too seriously and can have a good laugh. Someone I would want to hang out with when the job was done.

It's sort of been a rule of mine in life, don't do business with people you wouldn't want to be friends with afterwards. It's worked pretty good for me so far.
Old 13-03-2014, 09:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Personally, I would look for a guy like boatman61. Someone who is experienced and capable, but also maybe doesn't take himself too seriously and can have a good laugh. Someone I would want to hang out with when the job was done.
X10.
Besides the safety records, personality is more important to me on a sailing boat. Some captains can bring the best out of other, some bring the worst of other. On the boat in the middle of the ocean, it will become hell. Every captain can bring a boat from Point A to Point B; that is the easy part. The hard part is the leadership capability.

Fair winds.

Tags
delivery, skipper