Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 15:36   #1

Early Spring Atlantic Crossing?

"All things considered, there are only two kinds of men in the world: those that stay at home and those that do not."
- Rudyard Kipling

Hey folks.

My father received a Fullbright teaching scholarship, and as a result my parents are living in Alexandria, Egypt for the year. I'd like to visit them, if I can, before they leave Africa. I know May is the traditional choice for west to east Atlantic crossings, but I was wondering if there might be someone looking to cross in March or very early April, a someone looking for another set of hands to help out?

I really don't have much in the way of experience, as far as sailing goes. Please consider the following a sort of informal curriculum vitae.

Tom. Male. Age 27.

Sailing Experience
- I spent the summer in Wisconsin. I got an old beat-up 13-foot sailboat from a neighbor. My car didn't have a mount for a trailer hitch, so I had to drag the boat and trailer by hand about a mile to get it down to the lake. I didn't sink the boat, but that's about as much success as I can claim. I realized I needed a teacher.
- After Wisconsin, I went to Hawaii to visit some old college friends. I managed to crew at a couple different yacht clubs on Oahu for their weekly beer can races. I went a handful of times, but unfortunately I didn't really get to do much other than help balance her out.
- I'm currently living aboard as a renter in NYC. The boat sails well, but I've only taken her out a couple of times since the motor is kind of dodgy, and I don't trust myself as a sailor yet.

Other
- I've done years of temp work. I bring this up mainly because I think it requires an ability to adapt and pick up new skills quickly.
- I canoed the entire Mississippi River. I'm not sure what this might say about me, but hopefully you're impressed?
- I can swim.
- I've never been seasick.
- I wouldn't be expecting you to pay for anything on my behalf.
- I tend to get along well with just about everybody.
- I'm certainly no body-builder, but I'd say I'm in generally good shape.

If there's other important information that I'm forgetting, please let me know. You can reach me at tomofferwestort at gmail dot com.

Tags
atlantic crossing