Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 19:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393 39'
Eric

Dad and homeschooled son looking for sailing experience from Fl to Rio DulceGuatemala.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:23   #2

Re: Eric

New to blogging, so I would like to add a little more info. My family of five are new to sailing but we homeschool and don't let the challenge of the unknown get in our way. My oldest son and I plan to crew a boat to Rio Dulce and scout a place to stay, and the rest of family will fly down after we establish accommodations, and we will proceed to find a sailboat to buy to explore the Caribbean. We are hard working, "figure it out as we go", kind of people and what we lack in experience we will make up for with a good,"can do"attitude.
We've been living off of the land, making it on our own for 8 yrs now and we're going to move to the sea and try that for awhile. We would greatly appreciate any advice, the experience, and especially the ride. Looking forward to making new friendships on the sea.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:33   #3

Boat: Hunter 31
I did this recently too, got my first boat and sailed it 1000 miles. Still have not sorted out my diesel fuel system issues. Before you buy a used boat, please learn how to bleed the fuel lines and change a filter and learn about how these systems corrode, so you will recognise neglect and won't be afraid to beat the seller down in price if there are expensive issues.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48   #4

Re: Eric

Thank you. We farm for a living and are used to making do with what we have, we are certainly used to mechanical difficulties, just not on boats.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:00   #5

Boat: Hunter 31
With luck, you will find a boat that is fully equipped and has an owner who's taken care of her. Starting off with a fully functional craft will make making do more pleasurable. Making do with a disaster is hardship.

Tags
family, florida, homeschool, Rio Dulce, sailboat