Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 00:52   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Here's my quote $4105 sail Melbourne to Perth , plus cost of airfare Perth to Melbourne , plus food cost, plus you pay all the fuel costs and any port fees as that time of yr will be bashing into the wind
Old 08-07-2015, 07:16   #17

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I don’t know costs for Australia but have a pretty good idea for here in the US. Several of my friends are full time professional captains and do a lot of deliveries. I’ve gone along on quite a few of those trips. I’ve also done dozens of “free” deliveries for owners who wanted an experienced blue water sailor to keep them company and do some hands on training. I received transportation costs and food paid along the way.

My calculation for your 2,000 mile trip, using a San Diego captain and one crew would be about US $16,000 ($21,600 Aus $ ??) . Details follow – US dollars and gallons (sorry)

Distance 2,000 nautical miles
Motor 50% of time at 1.5 GPH and 7.0 knots with diesel at $4.50/gallon

Stop four times along the way with four one-day transient dock fees of $75 per night.

Total time underway is 15 days (average speed 6 knots) and four more days in port for supplies, fuel,
What happened to the 2nd half of my reply? First half quoted above - missing part was there when I went to bed at 0700 GMT now it is missing!

Missing Part is below:

... weather, crew rest (it is a short handed crew for a fairly strenuous passage!)

One day prep at start and one day clean up at end for a total of 21 days to pay the captain and crew. Captain $400/day and crew $200/day.

Food $50/day for two people for 21 days.

SUMMARY (US dollars):
$ 1,000 Fuel
$12,600 Captain and Crew fees
$ 300 Transient dockage
$ 1,050 Food
$ 1,000 Transportation for captain and crew

The two expenses that are fairly unknown are the weather / equipment delays. You will be paying $600/day plus $50 or so for food and $75 or so per day for transient moorage (total of $725/day) for those delays. I know nothing about weather your area of the world but I know that an early spring delivery anywhere in the Continental US would probably involve several delays due to weather.

Make a spreadsheet with those cost categories and figure the details for your case.

Ignore all the rude comments above. I am sure someone with the financial resources to purchase a 50' sailboat can make the appropriate financial decisions.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

That looks like a pretty fair price breakdown TacomaSailor. I am not familiar with that particular run, but if the weather is as bad as I have heard it is, sounds like you have got it right.
Old 08-07-2015, 14:09   #19

Boat: Norseman 447

Later in year as High's move further north you can get easterlies in the head of the bight, would make for a more pleasant trip
Old 08-07-2015, 15:35   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Ideally I'd like to crew myself under an experienced skipper. The experience would be just what I need, but it will depend if I can afford the time off work.

When the time comes, I'll probably put a classified on the yacht club message board and see who responds.

If you can possibly make the time to be part of the trip I highly recommend it. Aside from what you might learn from the delivery skipper I firmly believe those who are involved from the start develop a greater trust in their boats. Human nature? Dunno. But I have seen a pattern in the sailors around me and it seems to reflect this assertion.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-07-2015, 20:50   #21
Marine Service Provider

Let's hope the OP will keep us informed and let us know what it costs!@ Someone said $4015. I said about $7k, and another said $15. So--ask the OP--have you gotten solid offers yet? But remember--they phrase her is that he needed to know the costs so he could determine if the purchase was viable! He has to work those two weeks ( as I had suggested) so he could pay for the delivery crew and fees. And as I said before, I hope it works out and lease keep us informed. And that is not RUDE--it is real and sincere....bang your head against the wall or not...
Old 09-07-2015, 00:39   #22

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Here's my quote $4105 sail Melbourne to Perth , plus cost of airfare Perth to Melbourne , plus food cost, plus you pay all the fuel costs and any port fees as that time of yr will be bashing into the wind
Could you possibly PM me with your tickets and experience?

Ta.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:43   #23

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Later in year as High's move further north you can get easterlies in the head of the bight, would make for a more pleasant trip
If I was quoting, and I'm not! I would be looking for around $3-5 per mile. Near 3 for a good boat in summer with you as crew, plus one other experienced crew that I would supply. And more like $5 in winter, +concerns about the boat. Food, fuel and flights are going to chew up a few grand and the inevitable repairs and upgrades a few more. So I figure it's going to run to somewhere around $10000-14000 total. If you're lucky it may be less. Certainly the quote you have seems very competitive.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
delivery