Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 16:36   #1

pirate Experienced Female Asia/Oz/NZ/Pacific

Hello Cruisers and Sailors, Boat Owners and Skippers,

After a long break, I'm looking to get back to my sea life.

I'm an Aussie, love the ocean, am passionate about all things maritime and i'm seeking a boat to crew on, with happy like-minded people to play and/or work with.

I come from a maritime background - i can drive a dinghy, have sailed keel boats, dinghies and tall ships and have a boat building apprenticeship behind me.

I'm a happy, willing worker with a can-do attitude and i'm not afraid of hard work or minimalist spaces. I like to make myself useful, won't fall OTS, and can still function even when i'm scared.

I'm very conscious and respectful of the fact that i would be a guest on your home. I'm not a drama queen and do my utmost not to cause problems or make anyone feel bad. And i'm a bit of a neat freak (but on a boat that's a good thing!).

I am a very young old - i'm 53. But i'm fit and healthy, like a simple life and am happy to go with the flow.

I have just finished uni, have no ties, and am now free to go back to sea.

Not particularly looking for a relationship (whew-i said it!) but i am looking for a situation where i can make new friendships, feel the camaraderie, explore new places, people and cultures and gain new knowledge and skills ~ preferably somewhere warm and tropical.

On a boat, the words 'harmony', 'cooperative' and 'team' are very meaningful to me.

Will consider crewing on a commercial vessel if i have opportunities to upgrade my qualifications from Master V (Fishing) to Master IV (Trading)

Gosh ~ reading this back ~ makes me sound so serious!!!! LOL

Fun things i like to do - swim, snorkel, beach walks, freedive, scuba, read, be at sea, be on anchor, weaving, learn sea shanties......

Am based in Australia so getting to you in South East Asia or the Pacific shouldn't be too much drama.

Available between mid October to beginning of December - and after that will be available in NZ.

Happy travels and fair winds
Sherrin
Old 29-09-2012, 16:40   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Experienced Female Asia/Oz/NZ/Pacific

Welcome back Sherrin!
Old 29-09-2012, 16:52   #3

Hi Khagen1227,
Thanks. Haven't been to sea for nearly a decade. Though i managed to still go sailing and i had fabulous sea adventures in far away places, nothing beats living and being on a boat and all that that entails.
Even when it's not fun, it's still fun! LOL
Sherrin
Old 29-09-2012, 20:11   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Sherrin,

If your reality is as good as your post, someone is gonna get a great crewperson! Good luck with your quest.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-09-2012, 20:31   #5

Boat: Franz Maas 37

On the north coast it's not the time to be heading north to SE Asia. But, depending on whether you are in the NT or FNQ, you should be able to catch the northerlies in November to get you back down the coast the Brisbane.
Best of luck, although with your CV, luck will probably not need to play a part.
Old 29-09-2012, 21:11   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Hi Sherrin,

I am heading to the Kimberlys in the new year, Coastal hopping all the way,
Visiting all and any places all the way, Over Cape York and all through the Gulf,

I will be looking for a companion to join me, Not a relationship, I already have one of those,

Fully optioned and equipted Gemini 34 foot sailing Catamaran currently getting the hulls repaired, all new electrics, Have GPS and Autopilot,

The boat is currently at Yaringa in Western Port Bay,

No time limit, It will take as long as it takes, Hahahahaha.

It will be anchoring on the pick, as I dont particularly like Marina's.

Very fit 64 year old, with a passion for travel and seeing whats there, Very good, SOH, Safety is Paramount,

If your interested shoot me a PM.

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 30-09-2012, 14:34   #7

I used to be a commercial fisherman, working away at sea for up to 4-5 months at a time. It was really important that you made it all work. I loved the life, miss it, and learned many, many valuable skills.
Alas, it also ruined me for "normal" life. (lol)
Yes, it's not really the sailing season right now however i'm willing to fly out to meet the boat. Not being a "Johnny-on-the-spot" though, makes it hard for skippers and owners. Just hoping someone is willing to take a chance with me.
Ideally i'd like to be crewing on a boat before the end of the year.
Appreciate you guys taking the time to reply to my post.
I can't post my email here however PM me and i'm happy to start a conversation.
Sherrin
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41   #8

Seeking long term, committed adventurers/sailors for west bound circumnavigation embarking December, 2012, from Fort Lauderdale. Age, gender not critical; positive outlook, open-mindedness, curiosity about people and places a must!
Here's a bit about me and my mission. I'm a physician in semi-retirement, at the moment finishing up a few years also as a goat herder/cheese maker and taking a sabbatical from work in women's health. Circumstances and modest savings permit me to get back to one of my first loves (other than my mother) of sailing. I have just purchased an Atlantic 46 catamaran designed by Chris White and sitting in Florida. I did a lot of monohull sailing between 1995 and 2006 in the Atlantic (Bermuda), the Bahamas, the Caribbean, and off the coast of California. This would be my first trip through the Panama Canal and the South Pacific. My hope is to circumnavigate if all works well and crew turn out to be dedicated to the idea and compatible.
I am a pretty laid back, open-minded, non-religious adventure minded person. I look forward to seeing new places and taking things as they come. I am an amateur musician, love reading, am fairly wordy and enjoy discussing anything from politics to you name it, even play a little bridge.
Currently, regarding crew, I have a Canadian man definitely committed to at least six months and maybe more who has a woman friend who may join up along the way. There is also an Italian sailor who's very interested plus a couple of others interested in short stints. I would prefer longer commitments although I realize anything can happen along the way. Of course, I have family and friends who might meet up at different points as I hope you may.
As far as expense sharing, that remains to be seen although my intentions are to keep things as simple as possible. I would like at most four including myself aboard and that would keep food, fuel, visas, transit expenses to a minimum. I am guessing with four folks, $400-600/month/person would be in the ballpark Obviously, boat maintenance is my responsibility.
I hope this gives you a thumb nail sketch of things in the wind. Oh, I hope to launch sometime in early December and would love to have crew aboard before then to help prepare the boat for its journey. Crew will have to pay their ways to the boat.
I'm sure I've left lots of things out so please fire back with questions.
Tim
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Experienced Female Asia/Oz/NZ/Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrinthesea View Post
Hello Cruisers and Sailors, Boat Owners and Skippers,

After a long break, I'm looking to get back to my sea life.

I'm an Aussie, love the ocean, am passionate about all things maritime and i'm seeking a boat to crew on, with happy like-minded people to play and/or work with.

I come from a maritime background - i can drive a dinghy, have sailed keel boats, dinghies and tall ships and have a boat building apprenticeship behind me.

I'm a happy, willing worker with a can-do attitude and i'm not afraid of hard work or minimalist spaces. I like to make myself useful, won't fall OTS, and can still function even when i'm scared.

I'm very conscious and respectful of the fact that i would be a guest on your home. I'm not a drama queen and do my utmost not to cause problems or make anyone feel bad. And i'm a bit of a neat freak (but on a boat that's a good thing!).

I am a very young old - i'm 53. But i'm fit and healthy, like a simple life and am happy to go with the flow.

I have just finished uni, have no ties, and am now free to go back to sea.

Not particularly looking for a relationship (whew-i said it!) but i am looking for a situation where i can make new friendships, feel the camaraderie, explore new places, people and cultures and gain new knowledge and skills ~ preferably somewhere warm and tropical.

On a boat, the words 'harmony', 'cooperative' and 'team' are very meaningful to me.

Will consider crewing on a commercial vessel if i have opportunities to upgrade my qualifications from Master V (Fishing) to Master IV (Trading)

Gosh ~ reading this back ~ makes me sound so serious!!!! LOL

Fun things i like to do - swim, snorkel, beach walks, freedive, scuba, read, be at sea, be on anchor, weaving, learn sea shanties......

Am based in Australia so getting to you in South East Asia or the Pacific shouldn't be too much drama.

Available between mid October to beginning of December - and after that will be available in NZ.

Happy travels and fair winds
Sherrin
Well the profile pic looks like yer up fer a laugh thats for sure...
Welcome back to the village...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13   #10

Thanks Boatman61.
Been following your (mis)adventures. I really hope things get resolved satisfactorily soon.
Sherrin
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16   #11

Yo,
Wish you were closer by but...hey...maybe somehow, if we stay in touch, you'll be free and desirous of jumping aboard. If you would, pop me an email at rebcult at gmail dot com so I can keep more directly in touch. If you could get to Florida, US sooner I'd be honored to have you aboard.
Otherwise please keep in touch and congratulations for having re-grown your sea legs!
Tim
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50   #12

Hi Rebcult,
i too wish i was closer!
I heard that Ft Lauderdale was THE place to get on a boat.
I briefly toyed with the idea of flying over there on spec and trying from there. However, the airfares are pretty exxy from here.
Have fun getting ready for the voyage - you must be getting quite excited.

Sherrin
Old 14-10-2012, 14:06   #13

Boat: hillyard 36ft sloop

Hi, I will be sailing the bay of islands from around mid jan 2013...if you are in NZ then come a meet me for a sail..phil
Old 14-10-2012, 14:15   #14

Hi Phil,
thanks!
What kind of boat do you have?
Depending on what's going on, i may still be in NZ in Jan.
Please can you pm me your email so we can keep in touch?
Sherrin
Old 14-10-2012, 14:20   #15

Hi Phil
duhhh - i can see you have a Hillyard 36.
She's beautiful!
I love that she is a double ender.
Sherrin

Tags
Asia