Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 17:54   #31

Re: Florida to Panama

Hi Margo,

I attempted to send you a reply several times but my message was never delivered to you (I had waited too long sending it so cruisersforum[dot]com logged me out and my message was not to be found after that). So here it is again.

Your itinerary would suit me very well. There is no particular time by which I need to be back home in Holland. I, too, like a more leisurely pace of travel; I am interested in history and enjoy doing some sightseeing in the places I visit.

Now for my experience: my sailing experience in Holland has been mainly in inland waters. Although I never owned a boat I sailed with friends on lakes on several occasions on open boats such as the Valk (6.5 meters (ca. 20 ft.). My sea/ocean-going experience was mainly in the UK. The latest trip I took before my current position as bosun on the Half Moon was in northern Scotland (Glasgow to the Shetland Islands) during the Tall Ship Races in July 2011, when I was one of the crew members on the Maybe ([see: maybe-sailing [dot] com), a 22 meter (ca. 70 ft) two-mast ketch. We were in a storm with 6 Bft winds for approximately four out of the ten days we were on board, sailing day and night. Before that, in 2010, I sailed on the Atlantis (see: tallship-company[dot]com[slash]the-ships[slash]atlantis), a 57 meter (ca. 170 ft) three-mast barkentine from northern Germany to Lisbon in Portugal, also a ten-day trip. In 2003 I spent a few summer weekends sailing in UK coastal waters on a Vancouver 36 yacht. My sailing course in southern California in the early 90s was taught on small open sailing boats in laguna waters. In view of this in my view still limited sailing experience I would not want to be seen as the most experienced person on board, and would appreciate the presence of a more experienced sailor beside me.

A bit more about myself: I am 48 years of age and have been an office worker for most of my life. Apart from the Netherlands I have lived mainly in the UK and the US. I have no allergies and having a cat on board would not be a problem for me. I am not a habitual smoker. I am a vegetarian (no meat or fish), which I hope would not pose a problem.

A few questions about the boat to get an idea of the type of vessel: is it equipped with AIS and a conventional radar? Does it have depth-logging equipment, EPIRB or SART and a life raft? What type of engine does the boat have and would you expect any engine repair knowledge from me? Do you have updated charts, especially large-scale ones for the coastal zones to be sailed into? How many night sails in a row do you expect to be making? Lastly, would you have any pictures of the boat you could send me?

If you would like to take this further I could try and contact you using Skype, to which I recently signed up.

Kind regards, Robbert
Old 28-09-2011, 19:22   #32

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
So what route are you thinking about? Direct to S. FL, or are you making stops along the way? Buddy boating would be fun!
Outside, inside, whatever the wind and weather offer up. I'm in no hurry - I'll be coming back to NC by car for Thanksgiving, then across the GS. What about you? Flank speed all the way, or a relaxed pace? You can do things in/on/with your boat that I can't.

Zee, they're not really "crew" til you can smell 'em!

John
Old 28-09-2011, 19:49   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

true, john, true.
Old 28-09-2011, 20:43   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbert View Post
Hi Margo,

I attempted to send you a reply several times but my message was never delivered to you (I had waited too long sending it so cruisersforum[dot]com logged me out and my message was not to be found after that). So here it is again.
So sorry Robbert, I did find you response in my PM in box. After i posted here that I hadn't gotten. Mea culpa.

I will send you a PM.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 17-11-2011, 13:25   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to Freedohmmm

Hi Margo,
My name is Katie and I'm 28 looking to sail to central America. I have plans in Belize for late December and a job with a non-profit in Costa come January. I see that you want company all the way through, and would be willing to consider changing my plans. My original crew job to Guatemala turned out to be dangerous and otherwise awful, so it would be nice to find a better situation along the same lines. I will be bouncing between Naples and Miami until its time to be off, which you've mentioned would not be too inconvenient location-wise. Let me know if you're interested, best of luck to you!
Old 18-11-2011, 08:43   #36

Hi my name is Keith. I would be interested in making a trip through that part of the caribbean. Last year I was on a 30 ft. trimaran for two months throughout the Lesser Antillies. This summer I was first mate on a 60ft catamaran doing a delivery from Tortola, BVI's to Plymouth. I have a lot of long distance water experience and charter experience as well. Love interesting people, conversation, music, philosophies and sights. I have an updated CV and references available if interested. If not have a wonderful trip, maybe we'll see you on another one. My email address is specialk.robbins777@gmail.com
Old 19-11-2011, 20:03   #37

Hi Margo,
I'm not looking to crew, unfortunately. Boat is presently in Bocas and will be going thru the canal in the New Year on its way to NZ. Do, however, require something to be delivered to it. If that is something you might be willing/able to do please PM me.
Thanks. Best wishes for your trip.
Old 25-11-2011, 16:39   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to LotusJack

If you have not left yet I am interested. I am an excellent cook and have bare boat experience.

Jack
Old 25-11-2011, 19:50   #39

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

I am interested in the trip. My vessel is in a slip in Savannah GA at Sail Harbor Marina which is right off the ICW at thunderbolt. Please let me know if you still need crew and perhaps give me a contact number so we could discuss more of the particulars involved.
best wishes
Mickey Blanski
1967 35' alberg
Old 26-11-2011, 15:38   #40
Eternal Member

Hi everyone,

Huge thanks to all who responded to my ad! I have the crew I need now, plus a list of possible replacements should someone have t bow out.

So consider this ad withdrawn, closed, whatever. Good luck and fair winds to all.

Margo

Old 05-12-2011, 13:52   #41

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled

Hey Margo (and others) -

I'm looking to had to Costa Rica soon. I would much rather take the scenic route than the plane; I can meet you in Florida and ride from there, depending on when I finish my projects here. Any update on your departure?

Greg
Old 13-12-2011, 14:47   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7

Hope your voyage goes well. I'm planning to do similar with my beneteau in early spring. Do you know if we're going to face taxes, customs charges or duty?
John
Old 19-12-2011, 08:23   #43
Eternal Member

Hello all,

Well, I haven't left yet, though I've made it to sunny south Florida. Finding crew and weather have delayed me. My goal is the same, and I still need crew. My new timeline, which I think I can keep to is to leave here between Xmas and New Years for Bahamas. We'll spend a couple weeks there at least to get our money's worth from the cruising permit, then leave from great Inagua by late Jan for Jamaica. We'll take a break there before pushing off for the crossing to Panama. All subject to weather windows of course.
Please PM me if you think you might be interested.
Margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Hi fellow cruisers! I plan to move my boat to Panama by the end of December. I hope to leave from South Florida by mid November, but only after threat of hurricanes is over. I am currently in NC, but can pick up crew in Florida. I live aboard alone, and would like to have 2 additional crew on board for this trip.

Route is likely to be from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Bahamas, through the windward passage, a stop in Jamaica, possible stops at Isla De Providencia and the San Blas. I want to make some stops, so it won't just be a delivery grind, we'll have time for having fun ashore.

The boat is a 1982 a CS36T, a 36ft sloop. I have cruised on her in the FL keys and through the Bahamas. She's equipped with solar and wind power, a 30hp Westerbeke diesel, autopilot, Garmin chartplotter, 100 gallon fresh water tanks, propane stove with oven, etc.

I pay all expenses while on the boat, and may be able to help with transportation to or from the boat if you aren't coming from too far away. PM me with any questions about me or the boat.

Ciao, Margo

Old 19-12-2011, 12:30   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty

Hello,

I hold a 100 ton Master license and am available for deliveries. Please feel free to visit my website for more information about me and my experience. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call.

Fair Winds,
Captain Patty
Old 19-12-2011, 12:33   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty

Hello,

I hold a 100 ton Master license and am available for deliveries. Please feel free to visit my website or contact me for more information about me and my experience. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call.

Fair Winds,
Captain Patty

Tags
florida, Panama, panama