Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 16:21   #16

Crew Member

At last I would love to join this crew it has always been my dream to sail on hte open ocean
Old 27-10-2009, 18:08   #17

For High Heels...belatedly.

First High Heels I failed to post about your Fulmar. I may have seen it if you were around Oriental NC a couple years ago. The fin keel will of course point higher and tack much easier in lighter airs than the twin keel boats. Other than that the real advantage for both is speed. 32' LOD and 25' LWL tranlates to 6.7 knots according to the standard formula. However both fin and twin keel are not full displacement boats. That boosts the potential. Now the twin keel which doesnt tack well in very light air (although it 'wears ship' like a champ) nor points as high has one extra speed advantage. The funneling of water between the keels and flattened out hull after that plus the bow design creates a longer wave than a full displacement hull. So it works out the the multiplication factor is no 1.34 but closer to 1.42 or 7.15 for potential top speed. That's the conservative figure. Add in the feathering prop/sail trimming OR use the iron jib (29HP V-P) and the boat has done as much as 7.5 at slack tide. I suspect your old Fulmar would outdo the standard rule of thumb as well.

By the by to keep the cockpit clean for line handling I have the Spinlock gear shifting system with removable shift lever. It's really a winch handle.

What kind of boat do you all hve now...or are fixin' to acquire?

Michael
Old 27-10-2009, 18:22   #18

For WLT36 and all who dream the dream.

As my good buddy Ulla sez: Don't just dream it...do it. ullalohmann.de
check this website out. Ulla and I plus others were crew on SV Alvei a three mast schooner bark back in '97.

And remember open ocean means out of sight of land AND far enough out that the bottom topography does not effect the waves and swells. It's MUCH nicer the further away from land you sail. Also, much safer especially on a lee shore.

I don't know how many I've seen spend literally years preparing but not test the waters first. Then stay close to shore where it rolls and pitches a lot. Finally saying .....this is not for me. They only needed to go that extra 40 or 50 miles out.

Charter, Rent, dockwalk or bum a ride with a friend. Just get out there and do it. Above all don't letothers ruin your dream. Once you do it the tendency is to never quit.

Live in Kansas? No problem. South is the Gulf and Caribbean, West the Pacific, North the Great Lakes, East the Atlantic with lotsa lakes all around. And SW Air is still plenty affordable. Hey Kansas? You're in the middle and close to everything?

Cheers

Michael

Old 28-10-2009, 01:07   #19

Another blue water dream resource. Tall Ship sailing

This i the one that got me out to Tonga in '97. Sailing around the world she somehow has never got out of the S. Pacific. Excellent for learning marlinspike seamanship.

alvei.com

I attached a photo..will see if that worked
Attached Images

Old 28-10-2009, 10:49   #20

Boat: BENETEAU 50' S/V
Greetings and hello, let this find you well.
Our names are Jill and Nir, (pronounced as ‘near’), and we are a team/couple who have had numerous years of experience working in the nautical industry.
Nir and I have many years experience at sea and are comfortable in all sorts of nautical situations. We are keen and eager to offer our skills on a vessel to make your sea experience safe, relaxed, and enjoyable. There is no doubt in our minds that we have plenty of positive qualities to offer to you and your kin, crew, or situation onboard and we encourage you to consider us as one of your first choices to complete your search in filling the necessary positions for your vessel.
Nir Malchy & Jill Leonard
Mobile: +1 717 802 6855
Old 09-01-2010, 20:12   #21
c c

Looking for a ride to New Zealand / Australia

Hi there Michael,

My wife and I are looking to crew on a sailboat departing for NZ / OZ. She is a child therapist in a hospital and I am working on my phd in psychology. We both love what we do but have been planning on taking a year off around the end of the 2010 summer to do some cruising / travelling. We are both easy going and mature, and looking for some relaxed sailing and new scenery. We've been looking for a chance to sail the south american coast / south pacific for a few years now. It seems like this is the opportunity we've been looking for. We are currently living in Nova Scotia, Canada but we're more than willing to travel anywhere in north / central america to meet up with you.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for any more information.

looking forward to hearing from you,

Mike Cannon
Old 15-03-2010, 20:09   #22

As promised it's almost Spring, I'm off the merchant ship and will be on the boat in Port Townsend WA, USA on/about April 15th. Initially some yard work and putting everything right post refit. 'specially all that 'stuff' in the storage shed

Then shakedown sailing in the Pacific NW untl the PNWCruisers annual event this year at Sucia Island (San Juan Islands).

And late August the initial leg down the coast to S. California.

Green or seasoned, Admiral or dockwalker,one day or more......

Michael

"Don't just dream it, do it.
Old 25-04-2010, 13:12   #23

Ready to go from San Diego laubmayer@yahoo.com
Old 25-04-2010, 14:57   #24

laubmayer at yahoo
Old 25-04-2010, 17:37   #25

I'm green, but young enough that I can quit my day job and go sailing for as long as the voyage lasts. My background includes 3 months of professional mariner training, I graduated first in my class, but that probably doesn't mean much in the real world. I'm ready for a great sea adventure. I want to become an AB and see every body of water, so I could learn a lot from you. Right now I'm a landlubber, 24 years of age. Message me if there is still a spot open, this is a serious inquiry.