Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 09:27   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Free-spirit, new to forum, seeking advice

Melinda -- I like your dream, and wish I had had it when I was your age.

Since you have some savings, and are free to go, why not ditch Kentucky and ditch the lousy job --but don't worry about getting a boat just yet. Move to the US Virgin islands, rent a cheap apartment, find a (at least) slightly less lousy job -- maybe tending bar or working in a hotel -- and then you'll be in cruising paradise and can start picking up crewing opportunities in your free time. Work, sail, enjoy the sunshine, meet lots of boaty people, and save up for your own boat.

In any case -- good luck!
Old 21-03-2011, 09:36   #32

Cormorant,

I like that idea! Funny, my mother escaped from here when she was 23 to St. Thomas and did something similar. She waitressed and rented a cheap apartment with no AC and no hot water. Met a man from NY who lived in the same complex who DID have hot water and air and well, let's just say that's how I came along. They never married, she moved back and lost her adventurous spirit. I don't plan on losing mine!

Is it even possible to bartend at the age of 19 in the USVI?
Old 21-03-2011, 10:01   #33

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Oh yeah . . . forgot about the age thing. (When I was growing up, the drinking age was 18.)

Anyway, the general concept still sounds good. So long as you can find some sort of job there, and halfway decent housing not too far from a boating center.

It would all take a bit of research to get it right, but I'm sure you could make it work.
Old 21-03-2011, 12:29   #34

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Free-spirit, new to forum, seeking advice

CQ, was kidding about boat. I think.

As you've been sagely advised, go now. You've got a nice cushion (talking about money gents) to go and look around. Find a job. You won't need to worry about buying a boat. Sail with others, waitress a little, whatever. Get some experience. Plenty of time.
Old 21-03-2011, 12:34   #35

Boat: I have 14 boats

1. Learn to use the computer, after hours at work. Sailing today is technical, learn to be technical.
2. Go to an internet cafe, or the library every day. Read all the posts here. Take out boating books, read them till you understand what you don't know, then learn what you don't know. What is galvanic action, why chain on anchor rodes, what is 12 volt versus 110 volt, what is a sheet? what is 2 stroke outboard versus a 4 stroke
3. After you are computer proficient, sign in to G-mail and set up an account.
4. Sign in to Craigs list KY and post in various sites that you want to learn boating. that you will cook, clean, and varnish. KY has beautiful lakes
5. Take Red Cross boating and life saving classes
6. Do not go anywhere overnight without leaving full multiple contacts with trusted friends, and let the captain know that.
7. Sign up for community college, take computer, cooking, sewing, electrical & plumbing courses, perhaps mechanical such as diesel engines. Make your prime job to educate yourself so you become marketable. After 1 year at cc with above classes you WILL get crew jobs.
8. After you have done all of the above and actually been out on the water, Sign in to Find a Crew™ - www.findacrew.net, and blow your mind on the available positions for young free spirited women.
gray.
Old 21-03-2011, 12:52   #36

Boat: Bowman 46 Yawl
Send a message via Yahoo to scurrvydog Send a message via Skype™ to scurrvydog

Melinda, I will be heading to St. Trauma (Thomas) in the Fall if you are still looking for a way.
Jeff
Old 21-03-2011, 13:26   #37

If you have an Iphone there is a Cruisers Forum app. I dont know if its available for other phones though. I was stuck in KY for two years, I liked some things about it but i really missed the ocean and couldnt wait to get back to Florida.
Old 21-03-2011, 14:00   #38

Hi Melinda,
I am not 100% on the bartender age thing, but my friends son left just after high school, mooved to St. Croix, bartended at night, sailed and dove all day (even got paid to after he got some free experience). I think he came back to go to school after a couple years but says he will definately return. I would get on the interweb and do some checkin.
Old 21-03-2011, 14:24   #39

I'm actually only able to access this forum through that app. My problem is service out here in the boonies. Lol

Bulldawg,

I've researched St. Croix before on craigslist and have never been able to find a decent place to live/work. That was awhile ago... Maybe if I research again l'll stumble upon something!
Old 21-03-2011, 14:33   #40

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

Melinda,

Go and make your dreams happen. You can sit and plan all day long and never take a step forward. Push yourself to set out. As others have said, you have a good start on the savings. Move yourself someplace warm where you can start learning and earning. As long as you stay in Kentucky you aren't moving forward.

I'm making the big push myself. Check out my blog at WithSailsUnfurled.com and good luck! You know... we need another hand on The Solitary Bird heading south out of here to Mazatlan. How quickly can you head out? We are leaving in like two weeks!
Old 21-03-2011, 14:56   #41

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Melinda, when I was in St. Thomas 2 years ago jobs were plentiful. Everyone said if you were from the mainland you could get a job pretty easy as the locals aren't that interested in showing up for work. One guy I became friends with said when he got there, he worked six months straight without a day off, then woke up one day and said this isn't why I came here. He quit one job, and started to live a more relaxed life.
Old 22-03-2011, 16:30   #42

I'm so interested in moving to the USVI, the idea is seeping out of my pores. Still researching. I have come up with some options... Perhaps I should put the boat on hold for awhile and just get up and move out? I think I'd have some luck waitressing.. Maybe stumble upon a crazy adventure? Haha
Old 22-03-2011, 16:44   #43

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I live in Iowa, but just finished 2 months of cruising the Bahamas. Living inland presents it's challenges, but they can be overcome.

A couple ways to get your feet wet:

1. Take a live aboard sailing course in the Caribbean. It's a great way to get great instruction, experience what it's like to go cruising and have a great vacation all at the same time. The prices are often less than your share of a charter might be.

2. Advertise/look on crew wanted/available forums. There are a lot of people willing to take on novice crew, especially female. I've done this many times with novice crew. One woman even went on to buy her own boat ofter joining me a couple times, so it can be done.

All the best with your quest.

- Dave
Old 22-03-2011, 17:14   #44

Are you neighbors with William Shatner ?
Old 22-03-2011, 17:26   #45
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Doesn't Shatner live... oh my bad thread drift...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...