Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38   #1

Grenada / Barbados to Fortaleza, Brazil

I'm looking for 3-4 crews for the initial leg of the above trip. Preference will be given to crew who r mechanically inclined, good at navigation and, obviously, a fantastic cook. These are UNPAID and CONTRIBUTE/SHARE COSTS positions. Crew r expected to be a competent, careful & considerate; a team player helping out whenever & wherever necessary; otherwise, just someone who is happy, enjoyable to be with & have fun. Smoking on deck, downwind are allowed. Moderate drinking are ok at dinner time or we are not sailing that day, or when my wife says so. Crew should expect to pay for transportation to and from the boat, have money for your on-shore meals and drinks, and ante up for provisions. Everyone shares cooking, clean-up, sailing, night-watch and whatever else. Crew applicants should be offshore capable as we intend to go from Grenada/Barbados to Fortaleza, Brazil non-stop, a trip about 1800nm. Crew must secure a Brazilian visitor visa before departure. The trip maybe upwind, upswell and up current most of the time; and motoring in other times. It could be an unpleasant trip in the tropics if one can imaging that! You should have experience in these conditions and you may need an iron stomach or able to get over it quickly. You will have a bunch of offshore miles and some good knowledge after this, and so will I. My wife tells me the northern coast of Brazil is a wonderful place to visit and lots of beautiful & joyful people there.

The boat is a 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 50, a strong boat nicely set up with all safety gear and electronics, all system being checked, repaired and backup. I am still working out the details on how to get to Fortaleza, Brazil from Grenada/Barbados with least amount of effort. The planned departure date to Brazil is around Feb 15. I will be sailing around the Grenada & the Grenadines b4 the departure date to shake out any other issues with the boat. After Brazil, I plan to return to Caribbean, do the island hopping thing up to St. Maarten/Antigua by Apr 15 or so. Then up to NYC by May 15. You can join me on different legs of the trips: go and back or anywhere in between. Before I sail the boat back to the Caribbean from Brazil, I will be exploring the northern coast of Brazil, and maybe Fernando de Noronha (an archipelago of 21 tropical islands and islets about 220 miles from the Brazilian coast), with my wife & oldest daughter who will be joining me at Fortaleza, Brazil. Cheers!
Old 09-12-2010, 20:47   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
If your considering this route expect a brutal, punishing time for boat and crew. You'll find many suggesting the best way to reach Brazil from North or Central America is via Europe and Cape Verdes. One person I know trucked his boat from Trinidad rather than make this sail.
Old 09-12-2010, 21:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
If your considering this route expect a brutal, punishing time for boat and crew. You'll find many suggesting the best way to reach Brazil from North or Central America is via Europe and Cape Verdes. One person I know trucked his boat from Trinidad rather than make this sail.
yes, i know. It will be brutal. The latest plan is to head as E as possible, even NE towards Capo Verde until we can get to a WP where we can either head S directly into Fortaleza at (3'42S, 38'54W) or SW with the wind behind us. I'm working with a Brazilian captain/navigator who actually lives at Fortaleza and have done many of these round trips btw Grenada/Trinidad and Fortaleza. Thanks for ur input.

Tags
Barbados, Brazil