Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07   #1

Boat: Selene Ocean Trawler, 60
Grenada to Alaska

Hello All,

We are a retired couple who have been cruising the Caribbean aboard our 2007 57 foot Selene Ocean Trawler for the past year and a half. Check out Selenetrawlers.com, our boat is what they now market as the 58.

We are looking for an individual, or a couple to join us on the next leg of our adventure to help out with boat maintenance. All systems are in good working order, but there are many of them and we’ve found that having crew aboard allows plenty of time for all to enjoy the various ports of call. Experience is a plus, but not nearly as important as mechanical aptitude and the willingness to learn.

We are currently on Bequia in the Grenadines, with plans to arrive Grenada before the official start of hurricane season the end of June. From there we will spend about six weeks in the ABC’s (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao), a couple of weeks in Santa Marta and Cartagena, Colombia and then several more weeks in the San Blas Islands of Panama before transiting the Canal around the end of October.

After the Canal we plan on spending quite a bit of time exploring the Perlas Islands in Panama, Costa Rica, and a good deal of time in the Sea of Cortez before making our way north to Seattle late Spring of 2013. From there we plan to spend the Summer and early Fall in SE Alaska.

We cover room and board, all boat expenses and government fees.

Ideally would like to find someone to join us in Grenada, with a planned departure for Bonaire on July 7th(ish) weather permitting.

If you, or someone you know is looking for this type of opportunity, please get back to us.

Thanks,

Deb, Bill and Cody (Our Schipperke boat dog)
Old 08-06-2012, 15:45   #2

Boat: Not mine, just crew.
Re: Grenada to Alaska

If you would be open to picking up new crew for the Panama Canal to Pac NW, please let me know. Will PM if that's a possibility.
Old 08-06-2012, 18:31   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

HI Deb Bill and Cody ,David 63 yrs old in South Africa,Cape town to be precise.I have read with interest your planned trip and it really seems a great opportunity to revisit some places that i fell in love with on my last trip from Panama to Los Angeles aboard a 44ft Swan .
The fact that you cover the daily expenses is a huge plus for me as our rate of exchange on the SA rand gets worse by the day making it hugely expensive to embark on a cost sharing trip.
My experience has been on my own 36 ft dean catamaran which i sadly had to sell as it was not able to pay for itself as envisaged due to the vagaries of the Cape of Storms.
I have also done a transatlantic crossing as crew [total 3]to the BVI's via Forteleza on a 40 ft Catamaran .
I am physically fit running 4km a day,a non smoker and love skin diving and bodyboarding as well as fishing which just has to be part of any boat trip that i go on .Fresh fish onboard cannot be beaten and on my trip into the Sea of Cortez last time we hooked a large yellowfin tuna as well as smaller fish for the pan.I grew up in a small fishing village called KALK BAY where I had my own dinghy at the age of 14 rowing up to ten miles into the bay to support the family with catches of fish.
I am hard working and very easy going and just absolutely love being at sea .That is most definitely where i am the happiest.
I have a British Passport as well as a South African one and spent a total of 2 years cleaning boat hulls in CA at Dana point .I actually have the CA record for cleaning the most boats in a day and that is 23 in number.I was there first in 1985 and spoke to my ex boss,one of 6 that i worked for 22 years after and he said that he knows of no one inc himself that has got anywhere near that figure.[inc himself at a fig of 16]I was called the ANIMAL.
I am single never have been married and have no dependants as such .I attended the University of Cape town and studied social work for three years but did not complete my degree due to a very poor outlook as far as salaries were concerned for the profession.It was however a great time of learning and self insight and gave me a problem solving approach to life.
I have since 1994 made a living from buying and selling joblots of goods from auctions via my CC .The time has come for me to be up and off again before it gets too late to do so.
I used to have a Schipperke called Danny Boy as a child and was watching some footage taken by my father in 1953 of him scampering wildly across the dunes and along the beach just days ago .it sure brought back some sweet memories and reminded me of how life flies by and is gone all too soon .
As far as mechanical knowledge is concerned it is pretty basic but then i would imagine that no engine overhauls at sea will be neccessary.Changing oils and regular checks for belt tensions and keeping the boat ship shape in all regards ,cooking [my speciality is fish]might be some of the duties I would be expected to perform.
Well take care and happy cruising ,with kind regards from David.ps i am on skype at davey.dave1 in Cape Town.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02   #4

Hi bill and deb, what a fantastic journey you are enjoying. Shawn & I did a similar sail crew back in march from st Lucia to panama but it went way to fast that the roses barely got a sniff. We are intrested in joining you at any part of your trip, and more then happy to share boat chores as it then gives more time to explore the jewels of each port. Neither one of us get sea sick, Shawn is a great night watchman & Rebecca is an excellent galley wench. Please email us back with more details at raknight2015 at yahoo dot com

We do power boat every weekend back in Florida but sadly we can only go so far in Tampa bay, we would be honored to join the two of you making new friends. We will even bring a brand new toy for boy Cody.

Shawn & Rebecca
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyzjonesy View Post
If you would be open to picking up new crew for the Panama Canal to Pac NW, please let me know. Will PM if that's a possibility.
BlueSky, Thanks for your interest but I believe we may have found a couple who wants to join us in Grenada. Should no for sure in the next few days and will be in touch if we need someone for the Panama to Pac NW leg. Cheers!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
HI Deb Bill and Cody ,David 63 yrs old in South Africa,Cape town to be precise.I have read with interest your planned trip and it really seems a great opportunity to revisit some places that i fell in love with on my last trip from Panama to Los Angeles aboard a 44ft Swan .
The fact that you cover the daily expenses is a huge plus for me as our rate of exchange on the SA rand gets worse by the day making it hugely expensive to embark on a cost sharing trip.
My experience has been on my own 36 ft dean catamaran which i sadly had to sell as it was not able to pay for itself as envisaged due to the vagaries of the Cape of Storms.
I have also done a transatlantic crossing as crew [total 3]to the BVI's via Forteleza on a 40 ft Catamaran .
I am physically fit running 4km a day,a non smoker and love skin diving and bodyboarding as well as fishing which just has to be part of any boat trip that i go on .Fresh fish onboard cannot be beaten and on my trip into the Sea of Cortez last time we hooked a large yellowfin tuna as well as smaller fish for the pan.I grew up in a small fishing village called KALK BAY where I had my own dinghy at the age of 14 rowing up to ten miles into the bay to support the family with catches of fish.
I am hard working and very easy going and just absolutely love being at sea .That is most definitely where i am the happiest.
I have a British Passport as well as a South African one and spent a total of 2 years cleaning boat hulls in CA at Dana point .I actually have the CA record for cleaning the most boats in a day and that is 23 in number.I was there first in 1985 and spoke to my ex boss,one of 6 that i worked for 22 years after and he said that he knows of no one inc himself that has got anywhere near that figure.[inc himself at a fig of 16]I was called the ANIMAL.
I am single never have been married and have no dependants as such .I attended the University of Cape town and studied social work for three years but did not complete my degree due to a very poor outlook as far as salaries were concerned for the profession.It was however a great time of learning and self insight and gave me a problem solving approach to life.
I have since 1994 made a living from buying and selling joblots of goods from auctions via my CC .The time has come for me to be up and off again before it gets too late to do so.
I used to have a Schipperke called Danny Boy as a child and was watching some footage taken by my father in 1953 of him scampering wildly across the dunes and along the beach just days ago .it sure brought back some sweet memories and reminded me of how life flies by and is gone all too soon .
As far as mechanical knowledge is concerned it is pretty basic but then i would imagine that no engine overhauls at sea will be neccessary.Changing oils and regular checks for belt tensions and keeping the boat ship shape in all regards ,cooking [my speciality is fish]might be some of the duties I would be expected to perform.
Well take care and happy cruising ,with kind regards from David.ps i am on skype at davey.dave1 in Cape Town.
Hi Kreef,
Thank you for your response but I believe we may have found a couple that will be joining us in Grenada. Will keep you in mind if things don't come together.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raknight2015 View Post
Hi bill and deb, what a fantastic journey you are enjoying. Shawn & I did a similar sail crew back in march from st Lucia to panama but it went way to fast that the roses barely got a sniff. We are intrested in joining you at any part of your trip, and more then happy to share boat chores as it then gives more time to explore the jewels of each port. Neither one of us get sea sick, Shawn is a great night watchman & Rebecca is an excellent galley wench. Please email us back with more details at raknight2015 at yahoo dot com

We do power boat every weekend back in Florida but sadly we can only go so far in Tampa bay, we would be honored to join the two of you making new friends. We will even bring a brand new toy for boy Cody.

Shawn & Rebecca
Shawn and Rebecca, Thanks for your interest. It is a wonderful journey and we enjoy sharing it with others. We believe we have found a couple that will be joining us in Grenada. Should know for certain in the next few days. Will definitely keep you in mind and be in touch if things don't come together. Cheers! Bill, Deb and Cody
Old 10-06-2012, 19:32   #8

Thank you for the reply back, when you find your way up to Columbia & the San blas area with a shortage of crew please do reach out as that is an area we would like to explore more.

Shawn & Rebecca
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45   #9

Boat: Not mine, just crew.

Thanks for the consideration. I'll be happy to discuss my qualifications via PM if you're thinking of picking up new crew for a leg.

Tags
alaska, Grenada