Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24   #1

Boat: Selene Ocean Trawler, 60
Grenada to Panama and circumnavigate South America

Greetings,

My husband and I have been cruising on our 2007 60' Ocean Trawler (power boat) since early 2011. We enjoy the lifestyle and adventure, but would like to have a couple or individual join us to help out with boat maintenance, share watches and boatsit for a day or so at a time should we want to do inland shore excursions.

The boat is a Selene 57 which is very well outfitted for extended cruising, with comfortable accommodations and reliable systems. We have a small dog aboard as well, but Cody is not much help...

Currently in Guadeloupe and will be departing next week for Dominica, Martinique, St Lucia and the Grenadines; arriving Grenada late June/early July. From there we plan on heading to Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba for a month or so, then off to San Blas Islands and Shelter Bay Marina in Panama around October-November. Through the canal and spend some time in Las Perlas and up to Costa Rica for a month or so and then work our way leisurely down the west coast of South America, with plans to round the horn (weather permitting of course) in Jan-Feb 2014.

Looking for a long term commitment, as crew changes once we begin our travels down South America would be difficult.

All boat costs and room and board covered.

Mechanical aptitude is important. Nonsmoking boat.

Let us know if this may be something you are interested in and we can begin a dialogue.

Thanks and look forward to finding cruising mates.

Deb and Bill
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Grenada to Panama and circumnavigate South America

the boat may be lovely,and im sure you are nice people,but what you are looking for is an unpaid slave basically!

i think if you want someone for a permernant position as you suggest you will have to offer a small salary,and maybe a few days off every month.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47   #3

Atoll,
Appreciate your feedback, but it is not unpaid slaves we seek. With our leisurely schedule there will be plenty of days off for snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, or whatever...

As far as compensation, we would also offer a monthly stipend for shore money, but this is not a job we offer, more a way of life and an adventure on our nickel.

Deb and Bill
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Sounds like a great deal to me! I would apply if not otherwise engaged. Some people we met cruising on far less splendid boats charged their crew $20 a day AND made them work. And that was a decade ago! I hope you can find the right people.
Ben
Old 06-04-2012, 14:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
Atoll,
Appreciate your feedback, but it is not unpaid slaves we seek. With our leisurely schedule there will be plenty of days off for snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, or whatever...

As far as compensation, we would also offer a monthly stipend for shore money, but this is not a job we offer, more a way of life and an adventure on our nickel.

Deb and Bill
sorry it wasn't a criticism,slave was probably the wrong word to get the point across!

i have taken many crew on my nearly 3 circumnavigations,mostly of the paying kind ie $20/day towards the running of the vessel.

the only time when i have had problems is when iv'e taken people for free, in return for their labour.
from experiance, they end up feeling that you owe them something.

hence the suggestion that you pay them something,then the lines are clear cut.

with paying crew again the lines are clear,they are paying to be on your boat ,to experiance the sailing life.

i won't go into the issues with onward tickets etc,but people who pay their own way, generally can fund an onward ticket for themselves.

what ever the deal,you as the skipper of the vessel are responsible for repatriating crew to their home country.
Old 09-04-2012, 15:08   #6

Hello Deb and Bill!
We sent you a private message in regards to your posting and are very interested in joining you for this wonderful opportunity! Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lea and Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 17:16   #7

Hi
This is rebecca and Shawn.
We have just returned from crewing on a 44 ft catamaran from st Lucia to panama. Bruce is sailing his boat to 0z Un fortunately we did not have enough time to explore San blass before flying home to Florida We hA
A
We are both non smokers very pet friendly.

S
Old 10-04-2012, 21:37   #8

Boat: camcracft

Hello Deb and Bill ,
We are also very interested in joining your vessel and adventures . We have just finished our commitment to our current vessel and are ready for our next adventure. I am a fully liscensed marine engineer and captain . Jane is a culinary trained professional chef . We are non smokers and very experienced seafarers.We have no time or travel constraints. Because we are new members to this forum , we are unable to send PMs yet. Please contact us if there is still available space .

Thanks , Jane and Robert (386)244-4214
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22   #9

Hello! My name is Ben
I am very interested. I do not mind that it is unpaid.

I am an early 20s student looking for an adventure!

I am an easy going person. Nonsmoker. I have limited sailing experience. I spent 2 years on my university sailing team, only on lakes, and I sailed for eight days on an 85' schooner around the Florida Keys.

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52   #10

Good Day deb and Bill

That sound like a fantastic opportunity and i would certainly like to find out more. I am 28 from South Africa and will have off from my day job (freelance Television Production). That would be the perfect opportunity to get away from the stress, busy schedules and long shooting hours. I am a first time sailor but very keen. I have done a weeks liveaboard in the whitsunday islands in Australia and loved it. I am a very enthusiastic individual, love to try and learn new things and would like to find out if possible how i can jump on board. I love to travel/meet new people, experience different cultures and it has been a dream to sail the caribbean. I have travelled 25 countries so far and have had this area flagged for a while now. My email is terence_monash (a) yahoo.com . Regards Terence
Old 11-04-2012, 07:04   #11

Dear Deb and Bill,
since this is not a job you offer, more a way of life and an adventure on your nickel,
I will apply for it in a separate message.
Regards.
longterm (yes, this is my nicky name)
Old 13-04-2012, 09:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renewal
Greetings,

My husband and I have been cruising on our 2007 60' Ocean Trawler (power boat) since early 2011. We enjoy the lifestyle and adventure, but would like to have a couple or individual join us to help out with boat maintenance, share watches and boatsit for a day or so at a time should we want to do inland shore excursions.

The boat is a Selene 57 which is very well outfitted for extended cruising, with comfortable accommodations and reliable systems. We have a small dog aboard as well, but Cody is not much help...

Currently in Guadeloupe and will be departing next week for Dominica, Martinique, St Lucia and the Grenadines; arriving Grenada late June/early July. From there we plan on heading to Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba for a month or so, then off to San Blas Islands and Shelter Bay Marina in Panama around October-November. Through the canal and spend some time in Las Perlas and up to Costa Rica for a month or so and then work our way leisurely down the west coast of South America, with plans to round the horn (weather permitting of course) in Jan-Feb 2014.

Looking for a long term commitment, as crew changes once we begin our travels down South America would be difficult.

All boat costs and room and board covered.

Mechanical aptitude is important. Nonsmoking boat.

Let us know if this may be something you are interested in and we can begin a dialogue.

Thanks and look forward to finding cruising mates.

Deb and Bill
greetings. i have a 100 ton license and offshore experience. not looking for a job but a crew opportunity like this! please email me if you still need crew, baron_cosimo at yahoo. thanks!
Old 14-04-2012, 13:49   #13

Hello All. Thanks to the many who contacted us by replying and private messaging. I hope that I got back to everyone; if not, my apologies and hopes that everyone who is looking finds the right situation.

We have found what seems to be the perfect fit for our situation and will be cruising with a lovely couple starting next month.

Cheers and happy cruising!!!

Deb and Bill

Tags
Grenada, Panama, South America