Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 13:01   #1

Boat: Cebec 63' trawler
Halifax to Quebec

Begin near Halifax, Nova Scotia. 68’ trawler-style yacht. Early June, wife & I will cruise to Prince Edward Island and up St. Lawrence to Quebec. Continue until it gets cold in Sept. Crew to share ordinary labors of maintenance & operation, while exploring sights and towns. Flexible schedule and itinerary. Experience not necessary; optimism required. Lived aboard for 14 yrs, traveling from San Francisco. Board and small stipend, if needed. Contact: Roddy Mac roddy@ea.org
Old 08-05-2015, 14:22   #2

Re: Halifax to Quebec

Hi Roddymac,

Let me know what the dates are planned and I can join for a week during your trip.

I live in boston so can easily take a short flight or ferry to join you.
Old 08-05-2015, 21:19   #3

Thanks for your interest, but I am looking for crew for a 3-4 month period. Roddy
Old 16-05-2015, 09:08   #4

Location: Where ever I lay my head is my home. Currently home is in Puerto Cayo, Ecuador

Hi Roddy and Mrs Roddy,

I am presently in Ecuador, flying into Panama City on the 18th of June. Couldn't catch up with you guys in early June, but if you are interested I could be there ASAP after the 18th.

I have just finished a 6 week season crewing on a 42 ft. Benetau in the Bocas del Toro archipelago in Panama. Spectacular and am now looking for the next part of my journey after Ecuador.

I prefer to have longer engagements on boats so happy to commit to the times you need. I have spent 10 glorious months living on a 36 ft. ketch with a bunk for a bed. Learnt heaps, saw heaps, cruised The Sea of Cortez in The Baja and down the coast of mainland Mexico from Mazatlán to La Cruz.

I have no experience on a trawler yacht, let alone a 68 ft. boat.....but willing to learn and happy to pitch in with what's needed. I am a good communicator, non smoker and very light drinker. I can cook and actually love to clean. None of us are perfect.

This trip sounds amazing. If you would be interested in making contact please leave me a message on this site and can start talking.

Regards,

Cheryl Ann
Old 16-05-2015, 11:44   #5

Looking for someone who can share maintenance/repairs/operations with. Not necessary to know mechanical/electrical etc. but willing to do messy jobs at odd times. My vessel is stubborn and demanding; doesn't give me warning or schedules of when she needs attention. She is attractive and in good shape, but cruising boats are jealous of free time.

The last crew was 23 and didn't know which way to turn a valve for on or off. But he was enthusiastic, willing to jump into any task, didn't mind getting dirty, and congenial. So his inexperience was no problem. Sounds like you have much more experience than he had.

We are primarily interested in sight seeing, exploring and use the vessel for mobile living. Been out for 15 years (San Francisco to Nova Scotia), although lately the cold weather shortens the cruising season. It's not much fun freezing aboard a boat. Nancy & I handled the boat ourselves until 2 years ago when we discovered that having an extra deckhand to share the load was really a joy.

I'm sure you can handle the sight seeing. As for the messier tasks, it can be the occasional scooping up of bilge water (mixture of fuel, oil, fresh and salt water). Having triple joints to reach into tight spaces is an advantage otherwise bruises will change your complexion. And putting up with my lousy joking is a requirement.

Nancy enjoys cooking and sight seeing, not especially cleaning, and dislikes boat maintenance. We are both in excellent health and shape, although avoid long and night passages lately - just boring. We generally anchor out and dinghy in.

If still interested, let me know if you have any restrictions/handicaps, strong preferences, and issues that I should know about. Will you have any problem getting into US or Canada? Any travel or financial issues?

Although I am asking the questions, crew are in a more vulnerable position. If you don't work out, you're off at the next port. If we don't turn out, you could be stuck in a strange port. So feel free to ask questions.

I am a retired psychologist and Nancy is retired from commercial art and the US Forest Service; both 68. We enjoy wildlife, travel, adventure, poking about towns and most things novel. We've been to Australia twice and New Zealand once, plus a variety of cracks and crevices throughout the world.
Roddy
Old 16-05-2015, 14:10   #6

Location: Where ever I lay my head is my home. Currently home is in Puerto Cayo, Ecuador

Hi there Roddy and Nancy,

In for a penny, in for a pound.

As I said I am not worried about pitching in, getting my hands dirty has never worried me....although these day's I do prefer wearing a pair of gloves when I get down and get dirty. Yes, I can crack a joke as well and would rather dye laughing.

I am a young woman of 63 years, so of course wouldn't have the strength of your last crew at 26.

Yes, I have had more experience....expected at my age and I have had the good fortune to have had some of that on the water.....but still a newbie with lots to learn, as far as boats go.

I can still manoeuvre myself into tight places, many years of yoga asana has helped there, I know that being bendy on a boat can be a plus......I have also manoeuvred myself into other tight places and gained experience.
I had to abandon ship in Grenada a couple of years ago with another crew member when we realised our dream trip down the Leeward Islands had turned somewhat sour.

So I have had the experience of not getting on with a captain and turning up at great expense to a vessel that wasn't any where near ship shape, let alone hygienic. I understand if you don't get on, you don't get on. Willing to bridge that gap if necessary.

I have quiet a few cruising buddies in Canada that I can visit and there are always lots of house sits available up there. So not worried.

I do live on a tight budget, another reason that living on a boat is such a fabulous way to travel. I do live for the travel experience. Just love finding new places and meeting new people.

I would also be happy to get into a country where my Aussie dollar is somewhat comparable.

I have an ESTA that I have travelled in and out of Canada with and have a return ticket from Panama City into LAX. Just need a ticket to Halifax and that's doable. My return ticket for Australia is in late November. So as I said, I am available for your time frame.

I am very excited by this opportunity and hope that you will seriously look at me to join you both on your trip. Nova Scotia is actually on my buckets list believe it or not. It just looks so beautiful. I haven't seen that side of Canada, just spent two months in Alberta and on Vancouver Island.

I can Skype from where I am now and my email is cherylosborne11@gmail.com if you would like to make contact off this site.
I will certainly look forward to speaking to you both.

My last Captain....Louis Kruk is also from San Francisco and I am sure he would be happy to furnish me with a reference.

Kind Regards,

Cheryl Ann

Tags
halifax, quebec