Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 17:28   #1

Boat: Cascade 27
Heading North from Olympia WA

I planned on going to Juneau. But I just had crew that changed their plans last minute so now I'm looking at new possibilities. I want to leave ASAP and I want to go as far as possible. I have to back by Sept 1st. I'm going to be sailing the inside. Not going off shore except for crossing the straits.

I'm in a Cascade 27 with limited gear. I've not done a trip like this before and I've been sailing for only two years. But I've got around 4000 miles on my boat in that time. And I've sailed (raced) in multiple gales and feel confident in the boat and my sailing skills. That said I have a lot to learn and don't want a beginner on board that I have to take care of. I need a partner in crime. I'm easy going and I think pretty easy to get along with.

No smoking, light drinking, no drugs. I'm more interested in sailing but will motor if needed. But I will sail even if we have to beat into the wind, so if you only sail in 7-10 knots on a broad reach this is not your boat.

Fair Winds
Alan
Old 26-04-2013, 17:35   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Heading North from Olympia WA

Not interested in making the trip as I'm a little past it physically but fished and towed log booms commercially for many years from Alaska to WA State.
A word of advice as you pass from US to Canadian waters... stop in Friday or Roche Harbor on the US side and mail any handguns to yourself c/o General Delivery, Juneau, AK before you get to Canadian Customs and Immigration. A word to the wise... Phil