Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 14:11   #1

Hoping to hitch a ride!

Basically, I love to travel, and quite simply have come to terms with the realisation that I'm never going to settle in one country, therefore it is my dream to one day own my own sailing boat to live and work from, and also travel the world! -Sailing is a new found passion for me, so much so you could say I'm obsessed with it, even though I've never sailed before!

I'm frequently traveling a lot, and now I'm done with staying in Sweden for two years, it's time for me to move on to another country. I don't know which yet, but I'm being pulled to either Canada or New zealand as an end point. I'm likely going to leave Sweden in September, and I thought a great way to do so would be on a sail boat!

So, I was wondering if anyone is going to be taking a long trip some where? Or know of someone who is? -I was hoping to maybe join part way, or all of the way depending on where your going. Like I say, I have no experience, but I learn really quick when I'm eager, and am willing to work hard. I'm not socially awkward to be around, and generally like to believe I allow people to feel relaxed around me. I get on well with most. If your into stories, or deep thinking/philosophy, I have plenty of that, I love a 'proper' conversation but also a good laugh. Mostly people just talk formally, but to be honest, I'm not one for formalities! -I may sound like a talker, one who won't shutup, but I'm generally quite laid back. To sum me up I'd say I'm quite a humble guy.

So, I hope someone can give me a shout, or at least suggest how I could increase my chances of hitching a ride.

A picture of myself below if it helps!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	105772  
Old 25-07-2015, 11:00   #2

Re: Hoping to hitch a ride!

Just bumping this up!
Old 28-07-2015, 03:04   #3

Anyone? -So eager to sail!
Old 28-07-2015, 03:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hoping to hitch a ride!

Try responding to some of the Ad's in the 'Crew Wanted' section..
Also.. www.noonsite.com has a Crew Wanted section as do most sailing forums.. get yourself out there..

Little comes to he who only sits and waits..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 28-07-2015, 03:43   #5

Your right. I'm giving it a bit of a half-arsed attempt at the moment. I am a little busy though. I'll check the site out and look around a bit better. Just wondering if it maybe be a bit early. I'm not really free until September.

Thanks
Old 28-07-2015, 05:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hoping to hitch a ride!

Now is the time to start looking and contacting folk..
Its a bit like hitch hiking by cars and trucks.. rare to find a lift all the way
but.. lots of multi stop routes to choose from.
Also.. its rare to get a ride straight off..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:01   #7

Getting a ride from Sweden seems doubtful, but maybe when I'm in the Netherlands in September it will be easier. I thought I could hitch a few rides down to Portugal possibly get a crossing over the Atlantic to Puerto rico, and from there head towards NZ. That would be amazing experience. I once hitchhiked from Malaysia to the Netherlands, and surely it isn't as hard as that! : )
Old 18-09-2015, 07:41   #8

Boat: 1974 Gulf Star MS53 Motor/Sailer

I need help getting my 53' Gulf Star from Beaufort NC end of september-ish. Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway mostly with some offshore sailing/motoring, going via Key West then Gulf of Mexico direct to New Orleans LA. Mechanically healthy boat with sad appearance. Live aboard welcome to keep yacht safe. I pay expenses. Jonathon (Australian American)