Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

Well. ..I write from experience having operated many Successful deLiveries. I also just sailed for three weeks in the Bahamas and was in Nassau twice for a total of four days. .. but so what? ?? The op cOuld provide more information. I think we are all asking good questions to help both the op and poteNtial deLivery crew. Again. . There are too many red flags for comfort. Will the op pRovide more details so we can all learn the facts?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:35   #32

Boat: Various

Apparently he isn't going to disclose more and instead of doing so tried to start a new thread in another section of the forum. Sure doesn't help clear up the reasons for concern that have been posted.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:23   #33

Boat: temporarily boatless...

This isn't the absolute strangest thread I've read here, but it's in the top 5%...
Old 06-03-2014, 10:22   #34

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
This isn't the absolute strangest thread I've read here, but it's in the top 5%...
This is really unfortunate. I hope that this will not scare away any potential captains/owners posting here for future crews. While I totally understand the seasoned members here trying to warn other members who are not so seasoned in dealing and staying away the potential boats, but it is the right of the original poster how he wants to disclose his information. Perhaps he wants to use PM and phone discussion instead of public posting for fear of further criticism.

For OP, I hope he will find a safe way to bring his boat to Florida.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is really unfortunate. I hope that this will not scare away any potential captains/owners posting here for future crews. While I totally understand the seasoned members here trying to warn other members who are not so seasoned in dealing and staying away the potential boats, but it is the right of the original poster how he wants to disclose his information. Perhaps he wants to use PM and phone discussion instead of public posting for fear of further criticism.

For OP, I hope he will find a safe way to bring his boat to Florida.
I wasn't in any way criticizing the OP. I was just making a statement. There are many strange aspects of this post. One of them was the almost universal and immediate suspicion (not that am I saying that suspicion was not warranted). On top of that, the OP has completely disappeared. Maybe he was turned off by the suspicion and just gave up. Maybe he found the crew he needed. I can tell you that I sent a PM of interest and did not receive a reply, so the possibility that he is strictly using PM for communication is not the answer. I'm following this thread now only in the hopes that it might one day become clear what the reality was. I also hope he finds a safe way to get his boat to FL (assuming that he and the boat are legit). Pete
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04   #36

Pete, I am with you.

This post just turned south at the very beginning and never have a chance to recover.

We will never know what happened in this case. But I don't believe it was a hoax and that the OP was not to no good and the boat carries 6000 lbs of cocaine. It is likely that the OP just got turned off and shy away from it.

I, too, sent him a PM with my email address and cell number. I did not receive a reply from the OP either even he mentioned he would reply to everyone who wrote to him. I assume that I was not the one he is looking for or my fee is too expensive for him. Either way, there is no harm done.

In today's internet age, no reply means NO - plain and simple. We are all good here.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I assume that I was not the one he is looking for or my fee is too expensive for him.
My fee was $0, so I don't think it was too expensive...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20   #38

Quote:
My fee was $0, so I don't think it was too expensive...
May be next time, you should send a pic of you showing your hot bod.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:24   #39

yeah, I'm thinking about that one for a little while.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36   #40

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

Quote:
yeah, I'm thinking about that one for a little while.
Pete, I truly admire your self-discipline. No joke!
Old 06-03-2014, 16:12   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciborg View Post
I appreciate everyone's help,advice and private messages... I have been driving all day today, and will be in Key West tomorrow after 3 o'clock, and I will respond to all Pm's
Thanks again!!!
And after that the OP disappeared and those CF members who did send PM's never got a response as far as we know.

Maybe not all that unusual, but somebody paying many thousands of dollars for a boat that is inaccessible to him - and - not being above board about the details of how he hoped to take possession of the vessel and get it back to the USA - is quite incredible. A simple statement that he has documents from the seller allowing him or his representative to take possession of the boat and move it across international boarders is not all that invasive. Unless - there are aspects that are not totally legal surrounding the vessel.

A search of USCG documentation records using data other posters have uncovered yields no information. So that probably means the boat is either State registered and titled or foreign registered.

On a positive note, maybe the OP after reading the details of what is involved in moving a boat across international borders without ownership documents raised his own suspicions and he cancelled the sale and is or has used Ebay's process to recover his money. We may have just "saved" the OP some serious grief and financial loss. On the negative side, well, you can read between his lines yourself. . .
Old 06-03-2014, 16:28   #42

Boat: PETERSON 44

I thought CF had good points of things to be-wary of. Electric posting often gets mis construed tones. Sometimes a pleasant heads up sounds like a screw you.
I am guessing the op is driving to the Bahamas to pick the boat up himself.
That may sound funny or offensive.
Hope he makes a informed choice. Never drive across the Gulf Stream with a North wind. Take it as you will.
Old 06-03-2014, 16:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
We may have just "saved" the OP some serious grief and financial loss.
Yay ......... Happy ending for the Guys.
Old 06-03-2014, 17:32   #44
Marine Service Provider

Let's all take a little breather and go back to the original post. here goes:

"Hey everyone. I need a skilled Captain to bring a 37' sailboat from Nassau,Bahama's to South Florida, preferably Key West. I need this done ASAP.

Sailboat is in great condition. Can sail or motor.

Pay is negotiable.

Please message me if interested.

Thanks
Jeff"

It just occurred to me that of all the strange things in that post that I referred to as "red flags" the strangest phrase was this:

"Sailboat is in great condition. Can sail or motor."

How unusual--a 37' sailboat that can sail or motor....but how did he know of the condition???

Maybe one day we'll read about this in the papers...who knows???
Old 06-03-2014, 17:49   #45
cruiser

Guys , my goodness... I dont even know what to say... I am here in Key West having a great time vacationing. I made this thread last week before I left for here because I just wanted to hire a professional captain to bring a sailboat here.

The person I hire is more than welcome to see all documents or whatever else is needed, but that business and is between me and him, I did not realize this forum would go off into some wild crazy ass accusations and..

I mean I literally just sat down here and started reading all these posts and it just makes me think like what the hell. I can appreciate some of the posts by guys just trying to give me some advice, but some of the posts are just plain ridiculous.

I honestly thought my thread title was very plain,simple and professional.

Anyways, I have a survey for the boat and the boat is registered and titled in Florida and the boat is in fine condition according to not 1 but 2 other people that I have hired to inspect the boat for me..

For god sakes children, if your not interested in Delivering the boat for me, then please go play your conspiracy theory crap somewhere else, I got more important **** to do than spend time wading through your crap to find legit posts

I appreciate the honest posts and offers from captains offering their services, and I am in touch with a few people and will be contacting the rest...

Thanks
Jeff

Tags
nassau, sail, sailboat