Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 11:53   #1

Boat: Cascade 27
Inside Passage May thru August

I'm headed to Juneau from Olympia WA. Plan on departing May 1st and reaching Glacier bay around July 1 and back home around August 15th. The boat is a 27 foot Cascade. She is seaworthy and with all the basic essentials for a nice cruise for 3 people. I have had some interest in this passage and have had several folks say that they want to go. But I don't count my chickens before they set sail so I'd love to hear from others in case these folks don't pan out. I'm going one way or the other but I'd prefer to not single hand.

If you are a photographer, writer, artist, nature lover, sailing junkie, this is the trip and the boat for you. We are going to sail a lot and have some wonderful adventures in a wild world. I plan on diving as well, that means fresh seafood, and if you fish all the better. (I don't).

I'm not a partier, don't drink (a few beers maybe) ca't stand smoke. so sorry if I seem boring in that regard. I like clean crew who don't mind working, getting up early, sailing whenever possible, hiking, and generally being upbeat and positive.

I'll consider crew for partial legs of the trip. Let me know where and when you are available.
Alan
Old 02-01-2013, 20:08   #2

Re: Inside Passage May thru August

PM sent.
Old 13-01-2013, 13:25   #3

Shutter Puppy, as a new member I can't send you a PM, as I'm not a 'trusted member'. Could you please send me your email address. Thanks. bartinbc@gmail.com
Old 15-01-2013, 16:23   #4

Hi Alan,
It sounds like you've got a great trip planned! One that I would absolutely love to join you for. I live in Copenhagen, though, so meeting one another might have to be over Skype, if that's something you'd be open to. I must admit, too, that I have only minimal sailing experience (I've been mostly a canoe and kayak kind of girl on my modest budget), but I love being out on the water (something very peaceful and in tune with nature about it) and I am actually looking to try to pick up some more sailing experience in the coming months. In fact some of my housemates own a small sailboat together and say they'd be happy to teach me a thing or two before this summer - hopefully some skills I could put to use on a grander adventure, like one to Alaska, for instance

Your description of your ideal crew mate leads me to think that we could make quite a good team! You see, I am a photographer, a writer, a nature enthusiast, and avid hiker in my free time, and I find the feeling of putting in a good day's hard work to be really quite rewarding. Collectivist-oriented consideration of others and upbeat, positive energy are most central to my essence, and I'm not much of a partier myself, I prefer more meaningful connections with others. Say, could cooking be something that I could help out with on board perhaps? I do like making good food for good people, too, and fishing is a pastime of mine that I find quite meditative and enjoyable. Oy, just think of the fish that one could catch in the Inside Passage!

I'm looking for a good, long nature adventure this summer, it being my last summer off as a student before I write my master's thesis this fall, and the one that you've described here through the Inside Passage is actually absurdly high on my list of dream destinations. I'm educated to be an environmental policy planner (working mostly with waste systems and natural resource consumption, trying to create more circular, closed-loop economies), am 26 years old, and half Danish/half American (grew up part of my life in Minnesota). I could be free and most enthusiastic about adventuring with you from the beginning of May, just wanting to eventually make it to the bay area in time for some friends' wedding on August 24th, but it sounds like that should fit just fine with what you've got planned.

Hoping to hear from you soon, and be adventuring with you in Alaska this summer!

Peace, sustainability, and all that is good,
Bryn
Old 15-01-2013, 16:46   #5

Bryn, Thanks for writing. you are very enthusiastic. I like that. I also think you might be jumping in pretty deep water. Thats not a bad thing, but you may be in for a surprise on many levels. Lets talk and see if this or part of this trip may work for you. I'd like to skype. or I also use gmail chat. Sooner is better. I have a lot of folks interested in this trip and I need to lock down some plans. Right now I think there are two women who are going to go up with me. But it is not confirmed so we'll see. can you send me a private message with your email address? and then we can set up a time to chat live.

Fair winds
Alan
Old 15-01-2013, 21:09   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcontxtxp

Dear Captain

Please Read this letter carefully and attentively...

I have good experience sailing; I lived for 22 year in Miami Beach USA making Key Biscayne and the Atlantic Ocean my playground sailing on a Colgate 26, power boating, fishing and diving. I also participated in few regattas in Key Biscayne competing in a small 4-crew sailing boat wining one competition “it was a stroke of luck :-)”

I am well fit, well-mannered, extremely positive, easy going individual with a ken common sense; moreover I am a highly educated individual... I fluently speak write and read in Russian, Spanish, English and Portuguese with Basic in Italian and French; I have two degree and I am also a Pilot for single engine airplane, a NAUI Scuba Diver with Survival skills in the Forests, Deserts, Mountains and Waters.

I am very interested in buying a boat “OR” buying into a boat "partnership"... Therefore I NEED/DESIRE to be FULL time in a boat for the next year or two in order to acquire more experience necessary to become a true sailor and be able to sail the world... I am ready to do ALL tasks from the smallest to the biggest; any and ALL boat duties to quickly master all tasks needed for sailing.

I am in Auckland New Zealand & available NOW

Respectfully yours,

Karlos Falcon
Phone +64-027-922-21-29
E-mail Falcontxtxp@gmail.com
Skype Falcontxtxp
Gtalk Falcontxtxp
Old 15-01-2013, 21:26   #7

I have very little sailing experience. It consist of owning a 16’ Hobie Cat., in 1985 I spent 16 day’s barefooting in the West Indies on a 42 footer (can’t spell Ben-a-toe) , and chartered a 22' Hunter on Ky. Lake a few times.

I have 20+ years of leading Whitewater canoe trips all over the Eastern US. We never lost a boater (or boat). We did come close a few times, but we had the right rescue setup, setup. Pason Kennedy (owner of Natahala Outdoor Center) said "we were the best lead trip down Section 4 of the Ca-tu-ga (no spelling) he had ever seen (as of that time)." I guess that may have been because the 8 of us were all indians with no chiefs to spoil the pot, if you know what I mean. The group was the leader on that trip.

Can I work? I have a retired Navy Admiral who I have worked for a few times that will vouch for that. I believe in leaving anything or place, in better shape than it was before I arrive.

I have a very extensive amount of video and photography equipment and I would describe myself a want-a-be Pro. Why don’t I just say amateur photographer? I think want-a-be Pro explains why I have the equipment I have, but still don’t think I have reached the amateur level let.

If you’re interested in me, then I interested in the trip (if I don’t get my boat). The boat I’m looking at Monday is a used 30’ Cape Dory.

Why am I interested? If and when I do get a boat (and the experience), that's the first place I heading.

Ray, rayhi62@gmail.com
Old 29-01-2013, 20:14   #8

I'm available, with my partner (who has previouslysailed the inside passage) for one or more legs. I like your priorities and share them. I spent twenty years working around the BC coast and know big parts of it well... Love it. Have plenty of sailing experience, including transpacific deliveries as skipper or watch captain. Have lived aboard. My partner is the daughter of an ex royal navy bosun's mate...
Old 29-01-2013, 20:30   #9

shutter puppy,

You can take me off of your list, I got my Dory.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26   #10

Thanks for all your offers. I've got more than enough interest and will be choosing from the candidates I have. Good luck for all your adventures

Fair Winds
Alan
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29   #11

I'm closing this thread as I have all the interest I need. Thanks to all.

Tags
passage