Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 19:47   #1

Interesting opportunity for anyone who can do a transat from Europe

Hello there, I'm a 25 year old male looking for some significant sea experience, specifically a trans-atlantic sail, preferably from the UK but anywhere in Europe would be fine. It's something I have wanted to do for a while and seeing as I have found myself in a period where I have a lot of time to spare, I figure now is the time, as it is something I would like to do while I'm young.I have some very limited experience with my family as my cousin's family were competitive sailors, though this was many years ago. For the privilege of being able to spend this time at sea I would be willing to pay a reasonable and negotiable sum of money on top of any required expenses, of course I an also more than willing to do any work that is required. If this offer sounds in any way appealing to you, please reply or message me, thanks.

Alex
Old 04-10-2013, 20:33   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Interesting opportunity for anyone who can do a transat from Europe

Hi Alex! Good luck on finding an opportunity in earning sea miles. Be careful about one factor...It's OK to pay your fair share of food/fuel and such while sailing on someone's boat...you do NOT want to be a "paying passenger", though. This places the captain in a different category of sailing; it has serious legal implications.

To illustrate a similar point...in the US, a licensed Private Pilot may split the cost of fuel among all passengers on board. He/she may NOT split the cost of the rental though; FAA regulations does NOT allow it, UNLESS the pilot holds a Commercial Pilot license. As a paying passenger, you have minimum rights that the captain must provide you with and must declare you as such at customs; a real hassle. Most privateers cannot afford to. Take care!

Mauritz
The devil's in the details.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:42   #3

Boat: Leopard 38
Re: Interesting opportunity for anyone who can do a transat from Europe

Maybe I've got something for you. Please PM me.

Alex (2)

Tags
Europe, rope