Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 10:53   #1

Job search

Hi my name is Andrew And I'm up in Maine right now I'm currently working on a 52 ft Morris s/y working as the first mate. I'm thinking about heading Down to fort lauderdale to look for work for the winter and complete the STCW course. And basically I'm wondering the best people to talk to and or the best way of going about looking for work. I have talked to crew finders, and I am planning on doing dock walks and asking around and I'm taking my course at MPT. so any advice on this subject / possible openings on a S/Y or M/Y would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14   #2

Re: Job search

Hey Andrew welcome to cruisers forum. You really shouldn't have any trouble finding a job in Lauderdale. Try any boats that take people out for money. Sunset cruises, sportfishing head boats, dolphin watching, etc. This will get you started, then just keep trading up till you get the job you want. I did this in the Keys in the mid 90's. Starting the day after Christmas the flood gates open with a steady supply of snowbirds. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:05   #3

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Re: Job search / time on the water

no personal experience, but when I've been down in Ft Lauderdale I've noticed many crew placement companies down there. I think they would be a good place to start.
Old 12-08-2013, 20:26   #4

Boat: voyage 580 catamaran
They are after you get your STCW. Any other courses you take will also help you out. Stay on a crew house. Captains and management agencies call them to look for day workers which often lead into permenant positions such as deckhands. I called Mary's Crew House when I was looking for day workers.