Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 11:21   #31

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Long Term Cruising Partnership - Not Just Crew

Jef, don't you get that warm fuzzy feeling?
We as parents cannot claim complete responsibility for the heights that these cruising kids have reached. Our Liz has absolutely blown us away with her achievements but I must say that it is you, and people like you that make up the cruising community at large that are responsible for the education that these kids get. They are like little sponges, and thanks to the character and kindness of all our cruising friends they are able to absorb the best information from some of the best role models out there.
We remember hunting out "kid boats" and sharing schooling with different parents, the kids were all keen and interested. Our appreciation to the community is deep and heartfelt, we cannot stop cruising, life in a box is no life at all.....
Mike.
Old 23-04-2012, 12:39   #32

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Great story Jeff! Thanks for sharing it.

Paul
Old 23-04-2012, 13:16   #33

There are many amazing people, parents and children out there cruising. I've had the pleasure and honor to meet them and I consider these to me the best role models on the planet... sure there are great land lubbers who have never set foot on a deck... but the cruising life makes for amazing competent caring and consider people... who are very in touch with the wonders of the planet.

I've not cruised as much as many, but enough to understand and perhaps having spent so much time on land and then having had the opportunity when I wasn't too old.. like young Mike... to take a few years and sail has given me even more appreciation for cruising and the boat people.

Now I am a bit concerned that this is really an exclusive life... so few can ever hope to experience it. I do feel a bit guilty at times. But I was given nothing in life but the dna and parents who decided to life where I received a good education in public schools.

The story of how I ended up with Shiva is another amazing one... but it brought me to what I call the center of my life.

There's nothing better than messing about on boats... and messing about is a mighty big category...

Mike.... I am hoping to sail Shiva and winter her in the Caribe this fall... perhaps we'll cross paths... Ya never know... when little boats meet in the vast ocean....
Old 23-04-2012, 13:30   #34

Jef, I look forward to it!!
Old 24-04-2012, 08:08   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Just a small correction, I possibly did not make it clear. Liz, yes we are extremely proud parents, to see what she has done based on a nil curriculum home schooled education. She holds the Certificate of Competency Chief Mate (Y) 3000 ton unlimited area. Her current position is as Second Officer on board a 230' (70.5m) motoryacht. I apologize if I led you to believe she was a captain. That's coming in a few years...
Her curriculum is at http://gilana.org/liz/ in you are interested to see how a "cruising kid" can get ahead in the yachting industry.
Sorry, I did not make my post clear.. I am a SY Captain of many years, now retired (more or less)... I am sure Liz will do well in the industry
Old 26-04-2012, 05:32   #36

OK Pelagic, QSL my mistake...thanks for your posts.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:36   #37

Hi, just an update, we have had just short of 200 replies.
The one-liners and people who were just commenting were disregarded, those were the majority.
Next were people who wanted to go sailing but for a month or so.
Quite a few single people, hitch-hikers, and backpackers, nothing wrong there, just not what we were looking for.

We met a great couple, and it was almost a done deal, but they seem to have dropped off the radar. They were in the Florida Keys looking for a boat like NOW, so if all went well for them, perhaps they are happily sailing away to new lands as we speak.

The most promising of all the contacts, was, would you believe, the single mom and her son....We had contact via Skype and it was as if we had known each other for decades.
She will only be able to join us in or later than February 2013. So that leaves October 2012 to February at least 2013 available...Please read the original post if you are interested...

We are going to do this.....
Old 14-05-2012, 15:51   #38

What a wonderful blog. I laughed at the pics of Jack and cried when I read your email telling of his passing. We cruise with a Lab and could not imagine being without her.Beautiful boat. Whoever gets the privilege to join you will be blessed. The crew of Spirit will be following you and hope we may meet some day.
Fair Winds,
Bill, Carol and Gen
Old 15-05-2012, 01:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorBill1954 View Post
What a wonderful blog. I laughed at the pics of Jack and cried when I read your email telling of his passing. We cruise with a Lab and could not imagine being without her.Beautiful boat. Whoever gets the privilege to join you will be blessed. The crew of Spirit will be following you and hope we may meet some day.
Fair Winds,
Bill, Carol and Gen
Hi Bill, Carol and Gen, Thanks for your comment, it is us though, that have been fortunate to experience this cruising lifestyle, and become part of the cruising community, which is made up of people like you....

Hope we share a sandy bottom one day soon.
Old 23-09-2012, 03:00   #40

Just a short update...
We are one month from departure, we had a busy summer season helping a friend with his charter company here. He has 22 motorboats that needed turning around and maintaining. The Summer has left us, the tourists are dwindling and we are now concentrating on final preparations, stock-up and some modifications on Gilana for HER 9th transatlantic. We have divided the next few months into legs, and have One guest to do Mallorca to Gibraltar. We are delighted to confirm K&A from Spokane WA, who will do Gibraltar Canaries, and then K continues with us to the Caribbean, one place available. Still at the top of the list is another K with her son whi intend to join us in the Caribbean for an extended period, however they have logistical problems and might not be able to make it. We have promised them our availability, and wait to hear. Hopefully all will be resolved, if not, we might be looking for a couple again in a hurry. There are some other couples waiting in the wings as it were. We will let you know. Our first priority is compatibility, without this, all else is naught.
Thanks to all posters and enquirers for comments, interest and feedback.
After a slow start it seems that there is plenty of interest and we urge other boat owners in a similar situation to explore this option.
The costs of sharing has proven to be a non-issue, so we know we are being fair in this regard. Nobody has challenged or questioned the rationale on that subject.

It seems that there are many people who want to go cruising like this for a while as a taster, and then either give it up or commit to it.
Old 23-09-2012, 06:56   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers for the follow up

Just goes to prove the old saying:-

"don't ask - don't get"
Old 23-09-2012, 19:09   #42

Boat: 41' Sail

Beautiful yacht! You may also try "Latitude 38" crew listing. They conduct the Baja Ha Ha every year to Cabo and beyond. They are excellent resource. I have had excellent luck with volunteer crew for long deliveries. LOTS of couples I have seen there would jump at the chance to share costs and enjoy the beauty of your vessel! Propper Vetting a must, best of luck to you! Wish I was at a time in my life where I was done delivering boats and that I also had a mate! Superb opportunity!

Safe passages!

Cheers, Jeffry
Old 23-09-2012, 19:15   #43

Boat: 41' Sail

WoW! CLEARLY you offer and excellent opportunity for those considering the 'cruising thing' prior to the expense of buying a boat and/or making a mistake on the type of boat to be purchased in the first place. Good on ya!

Cheers, Jeffry
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30   #44

UPDATE. We have many of the legs sorted, but there is one special opening.
We have two lovely ladies joining us from Gibraltar to the Canaries. One of them continues for the Atlantic crossing near Christmas/New year. We would like to find a single lady to share a cabin with her. Any candidate will be put in touch directly to establish compatibility. Remember please, it is a shared costs basis.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:41   #45

I have a Black Lab mix. She would be the extent of my companion options at the moment. However, we are looking for adventurer and a kind and safe environment. That is, we have just made it to Florida with few attachments. We are not 100% with Florida, and I have previous experience on the water. Originally from Michigan, we are staying with friends for a bit deciding on the next move. I spent 2004 working on boats in Key West, and since it has been mostly all Lake Michigan out of Chicago, and West Michigan.

I am 40, and I have had an epic year loosing my mother this summer. She was too young. Now I am only interested in living life to the fullest.

Let me know if you want more information.

Tags
crew, partnership