Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 07:55   #1

Post Lookin to start new career.

Hi all,

I am a 26 year old male trying to break it and make it in the sailing scene. I have been trawling the net on and off for a year now trying to get as much advice and tips into getting a paid job on a yacht. I know an STCW95 is essential in getting a paid position on board. Currently all I have is 1 years worth of experience helping out at a sailing charity based in Plymouth,UK at which I started with no hours sailing to helping out and skipper Hawk 20's with young people aboard.

I am not well off and do not have the finances to get me to the STCW95 stage and beyond, what I do have is the attitude and determination for me to make it. I have a proposition to all that are here on the forums to give me a chance to shine. I am not sure if this is against forum post etiquette but here goes.

I will sign a contract with anyone willing to give me this opportunity, the contract can be for 5 years or as the person see's fit and this is for working aboard as a deckhand in exchange for sponsorship for my STCW95 and other course's and a wage/salary (this can be negotiated).

All I want is an opportunity to show my potential to interested parties.
Old 14-04-2012, 10:15   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Lookin to start new career.

They used to call this indentured servitude and not sure, but I think it might be against the law now, at least for a US owner (not sure about the UK). Not to mention potentially dangerous for you....
Old 14-04-2012, 10:25   #3

Thank KDH for the heads up, I am just looking into that now. I understand the potential dangers involved with this style of agreement, I was trying to show adaptability and willingness to get qualified whilst staying loyal to an individual for helping put me through accreditations. Obviously since they introduced the required the mandatory STCW95, people who are on low incomes and have to maker ends meet would struggle to get into this industry. I am one of those people wanting to break the scene and make a name for myself.

For myself with no STCW95 would struggle to get on board other than day work and would see my dreams pinned to the ground if I were to travel to Antibes for instance just for me to come home until I get that qualification.

Thank you again for the heads up and if you know of anyone with further information about the legalities about statement could you direct them this way please so I have more information.

Thanks
Iain
Old 14-04-2012, 10:53   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Iain, in the UK I would suggest calling ICT/Ysachmaster London: call 020 3239 0498 to ask about job placement and financing if available. Or other places that give the courses. the basic course package seems to be under $1000US under 700EU and only ten days or two weeks long.

Also perhaps to contact stcw and see if you can be credentialled based on naval experience, and consider enlisting as opposed to a five year apprenticeship on private yachts. You may find the Navy to be the better bargain, all in all.

Crewing on a private yacht can sometimes have all the romance and excitement of being a hotel housekeeper, including the same hours and pay. But without the option of walking away.