Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2007, 03:15   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to skipperprofi
Looking for 2 experienced sailiors for transat passages

Hi sailors,

looking for 2 crew for passages:

TRANSATLANTIC 2008 onboard SUN ODYSSEE 49

16.03. - 28.04.08 Guadeloupe - Azores - Cherbourg - Rostock 4200 nm

TRANSATLANTIC 2008 onboard SY 45

June 2008 USA E -coast - Mediterranean 3300 nm

You are responsible for travel expenses and we will ask for a contribution for food onboard

Please contact via email: bs@skipperprofi.de

Happy new year

Bodo

Old 31-12-2007, 10:22   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Hi Skipper,

From your name, "Skipperprofi", I assume your sailing these crossings as professional deliveries.

If so, and probably just my opinion, but, (always a butt in the crowd, just some bigger than others...)

To ask crew, who also enjoy the cold, wet, and lack of sleep as well as the fantastic sunny days and spectacular night watches with moon so bright you can read that novel without headlamp; to pay their expenses while you, sir, are being paid to perform these same deliveries?

Not cool dude!

If your getting paid, at the very least you should cover your crew's expenses. Making a profit on delivery fees and charging your crew sounds ethically questionable at best. Again, just my opinion.

Regardless, fair winds and best of luck.
Old 31-12-2007, 10:39   #3

Ditto. People with enough experience to do a transatlantic at the least shouldn't be paying for their own food. The last crew run I did we got $200/week, plus our airfare paid and the food was free. And it was a hell of a lot less stressful than a trans atlantic.
Old 31-12-2007, 11:00   #4

Rebel it must have been a labor of love!

Two a' week is pretty cheap!

(Pssst! I've some deliveries commin up, doin anything? )
Old 31-12-2007, 11:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
psst...I'm bored this winter
Old 31-12-2007, 13:35   #6

Hey Pat!

Bro, you wanna do some deliveries? Hell, I'd sail with you anywhere!
I'll hook you up if you like.
Old 31-12-2007, 15:01   #7

Quote:
Rebel it must have been a labor of love!

Two a' week is pretty cheap!

February is the only month I've got open at the moment if you're planning anything then. January I have a land job I can't shake, and March I'm hauling out and redoing the spar (and a gazillion other things).

But from Feb 06 -> March 15 I'm pretty open.

Let's move some boats!
Old 31-12-2007, 16:32   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
From your name, "Skipperprofi", I assume your sailing these crossings as professional deliveries. .
I wasn't going to comment on this thread when I saw the original post as I don't wish to take anyone to task personally on this forum.

however this type of ad worries me a little and I would prefer to have it clarified to alleviate my concerns.

The website of the poster is http://www.skipperprofi dot de/index.html?&L=1 (Link needs the dot changed to . and spaces removed) and claims Professional Skipper Services and
"Consulting and delivery of Your Sailing- or Motoryacht
world-wide, safe, reliable and at a fair price!"

I believe that a reasonably prudent owner on contracting a professional skipper and paying for a delivery would expect the crew to be professional too i.e. paid at a professional rate for the delivery.

I think the term "fair price" means both the owner pays and the crew receives a "fair price" and thats not a fair with clowns, fairy floss and a carrousel!

Peoples thoughts?

Mark
Old 31-12-2007, 18:21   #9

Boat: Endeavour E40
Mark,
I agree whole-heartedly.........
he's advertising professional services but "signing up" (NOT HIRING) a crew that wants to go on an adventure more so than a "work-crew"....AND expect them to work & pay their way while the Captain keeps EVERYTHING?!?
If I were the Captain I'd be embarassed under those circumstances!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
Old 01-01-2008, 00:45   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to skipperprofi
You're all right

Hi all,

thanks for Your replies to my message in that forum and I wish You all successfull New Year.

Regards

Bodo

Quote:
Hi Skipper,

From your name, "Skipperprofi", I assume your sailing these crossings as professional deliveries.

If so, and probably just my opinion, but, (always a butt in the crowd, just some bigger than others...)

To ask crew, who also enjoy the cold, wet, and lack of sleep as well as the fantastic sunny days and spectacular night watches with moon so bright you can read that novel without headlamp; to pay their expenses while you, sir, are being paid to perform these same deliveries?

Not cool dude!

If your getting paid, at the very least you should cover your crew's expenses. Making a profit on delivery fees and charging your crew sounds ethically questionable at best. Again, just my opinion.

Regardless, fair winds and best of luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 19:44   #11

Send a message via MSN to Stevekiwi
I find it hard case that he can't answer these posts but starts a new thread to inform he has found his crew.

Stevekiwi
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2008, 20:24   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Hi Skipperprofi ! I think I would go with you , but first , you will come to British Columbia (you pay your airfare ) and I will get you a job as my helper . I do tiling for a living ,you can work as much as you want ,I provide housing ,and you pay for your food and beverages . This is a once in your life time chance to learn something very useful , so you can get out of that boat delivery business and would never have to deal with the slavery again . You guys in Germany don't know that here in the States that was banned in the 1800 hundreds ?
Old 05-01-2008, 20:36   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am going to be a wee bit of the Devil’s Advocate here:

1. This skipper is prospecting for a low overhead delivery and whether he passes on some of the savings to his client or not…. what difference does it make to us!

2. The client hires the skipper, the skipper finds the crew, but the client makes the final decision to trust the skipper’s choice and let the boat leave.

3. Think back to the times all of us did things for peanuts or even paid for the experience, so as to follow our own dreams. It was all a learning experience and I for one, would not appreciate unsolicited advice telling me not to do it.

Sometimes we make judgements without knowing all the facts and occasionally chuck in a bit of personal regret from experiences in the past as some form of credibility. My advice is to live and let live.
Old 15-02-2008, 14:46   #14

Boat: Hunter 30 Air Ride
Nice GiG if you can pull it off and sleep at night.... I as a delivery Capt with a delivery company pay my crew accordingly, coastal deliveries start at 75 depending on distance and experience offshore starts at 125 depending on experience crossings pay more depending on everything. I also pay for trans to and from pickup and drop off points I also pay for provisions. one of my captains told me this guy is looking for crew on Crew Finders for the same trip or others like it.. it's a shame. What goes around comes around, it only takes time
Old 21-07-2008, 09:11   #15

I'm an electrician, if anyone's interested they can come and live with me and help me wire my house(I'll even show them how), but they won't be paid and they have to pay for their own food. This is a once in a lifetime chance!!!