Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26   #1

Looking for crew around October/November

We are a couple in our early 40s that recently purchased our first sailboat!! (Still very excited)

We plan to sail south from Baltimore, MD in late October to early November and looking for a crew member to join us. The boat can accommodate for two extra (sleeps 5) crew but honestly it would be a little cramped and unsure If that would work out but willing to consider If needed.

The sailboat is a 1977 Hunter. We are currently getting her ready for the trip as she still needs work. We are spending several hours a day ensuring she will be ready to go.

Our plan is to go through the ICW as much as possible as we are not very experienced at sailing yet. If you are experienced that would be a plus but not required.

When we depart we will have solar panels and plan to spend as little time at marinas as possible. We do expect to stop and sightsee along the way when we need a break or agree on a location we would all like to visit.

Once we have made it through the ICW we plan to take our time enjoying Florida's coast way and beaches. Then, we plan to head toward the Caribbean. We do not have a schedule nor expect that to change. We do not want one. We may stay a month? A year? We may head back or we may keep going.

We work remotely and have planned this trip for a few years now. While we don't have enough funds to cover the cost of another crew member, we just need someone like minded that wants to join us on this adventure and willing to cover your own costs such as provisioning and helping out with gas (when needed in the ICW) as we do plan to sail as much as possible

About us: he is 42/ she is 40. We are very down to earth, socially drink, enjoy music, technology, camping, hanging out with family and friends and of course the water

We have put our life into this journey.
If you would like to join us please message. My email is holdingfaith at gmail . com.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have courage to lose sight of the shore"
~Christopher Columbus
Old 12-08-2015, 08:18   #2

Re: Looking for crew around October/November

Hi !

This could be an exact match, except for the October part. I would love to join you wherever you are beginning of November and sail off Florida and the Caribian. Please check out my websites to find out if I could be the crew your looking for : Mike's Fly In + www.mikesflyin.de
I am male, 55, limited sail ex, but a commercial bush pilot, so I do have ex with machines and the weather.
Greetings Mike
Old 15-08-2015, 02:50   #3

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hello "WindyStar" (which I assume is also the name bestowed on your new Hunter - ahem, congratulations would seem in order, so let me say it here: congrats! I've known that joy myself, but a few years back now.
I notice you've got a plan, I noticed 'MikesFlyin' mentioned wanting to join the sail, at the start of November - Well, I could compliment that by joining the cruise at the start, from Baltimore and stepping off, more or less, where 'MikesFlyin' was joining.
Now, without getting too elaborate here, I'll PM you with my CV and thoughts, but the quick "elevator story" is that I have a long, but intermittent history of sailing, owned a 36' out of New Haven, then put the oars away (when I got silly about paying bills), but now I'm divorced, again, and have time for sailing (is this TMI ? - LOL). I recently crewed on a 2000 mile, Mexico to Panama Canal, Pacific side, off-shore, delivery of a CT47. Have ASA103 complete and ICC Skipper complete. So this will be great, additional "on the water" hours/miles for me for qualification. I've been wanting to get back to East coast sailing, and I'm particularly keen to have the ICW experience. Pitch in for provisions and gas is no problem.
I'd like to get a guess where we might expect to get by Oct 31st, and I'd park my car there, and take public transportation to Baltimore (nothing against Baltimore, but I'd rather leave my car at the destination, and get the public trans part over with first).
I'm figuring I would be available for 10-12 days, more or less, but I understand the fluidity of schedules when sailing. Oh, what thoughts do you have on sailing schedule daily, is this daylight sailing & anchor (or tie up) at night? I'm happy either way, but just curious if we would think about some overnight (on my last one, we sailed or motored 24x7 with 3 hour watches, but that's for outside (where there's elbow room), but perhaps not inside. So I'll follow up soon (and have some time/distance estimates based on different sailing hours etc.
Old 15-08-2015, 08:51   #4

Boat: 1984 Hunter 25.5

Sounds like a dream come true. Congratulations. Fair winds and following seas in making your dream a reality!
Old 15-08-2015, 11:29   #5

Thanks everyone that has messaged or emailed so far. It's been a busy week and just haven't gotten to any of the replies yet. Will hopefully get time tomorrow to get some replies in.
Old 16-08-2015, 14:00   #6

Look into Sail Magazines AICW regatta led by Wally Moran. Such group may be ideal for you until Florida.
Old 29-09-2015, 04:19   #7

Hi Windy Star,
We are also beginners on a 1976 islander and heading out this month. We'll be leaving Salem and taking out time to Maryland and hoping to reach the rally with Wally Morgan they are leaving October 20. Maybe we could buddy up on the way down

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
crew