Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42   #1

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch
Looking for exerienced captain or exp crew for trip from Georgia to Maryland

Hello, I just sold my 42 sailboat to an inexperienced couple that want to take the boat from Georgia to near Baltimore Maryland on December 5th, 2013.
They need some experienced help. They haven't sailed before and the husband is just taking a 3 day course to get certified. Thats the only experience he has. They really need help!

I think they can pay some also.
They have room for 1-2 people.
If you can help them, just email me at: zz3k39@yahoo.com
Thanks
Ron
Old 06-10-2013, 13:31   #2

Re: Looking for exerienced captain or exp crew for trip from Georgia to Maryland

I've done that trip, and am a professional captain. I just sailed a 54' Hylas from St. Thomas, USVI to Ft. Pierce, Fl. For a new owner, arriving a week ago. Any idea what they are willing to pay as a daily rate? I have a wedding in South Carolina next weekend, so I would be nearby, though I could miss the wedding in a pinch. I can email my CV and licenses, certifications and references...

Best regards,

Cptn. James C. Van Pelt
Old 06-10-2013, 17:52   #3

Re: Looking for exerienced captain or exp crew for trip from Georgia to Maryland

I do not feel I am precisely what this crew needs as direction goes, but would be more than willing to lend a hard helping hand during this voyage. It is a pretty short run.
Old 29-10-2013, 17:59   #4

I am a fit 56 year old, sailor, trail runner, duathon racer, surfer, dingy racer, off shore heavy weather sailor. I have raced and delivered boats since the age of 25. I have raises and seen 5 children through college. Please contact me if you would like some help. I actually have relatives in Georgia I could see first. Thanks Bob
Old 29-10-2013, 18:18   #5

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch

Hello, thanks for your reply and for all the replies. The buyer found someone to captain the boat already that he has started to develop a friendship with. So, all is settled. Thanks everyone.
Fair skies!
Old 29-10-2013, 18:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

I just got back bringing a boat from the northern most end of the Chesapeake to the bottom end. The bad news is moving your boat will probably require some fixing of problems along the way - they always do!

December isn't a great time to be moving a boat north. It wasn't that great last weekend either. We had decent weather with a favorable current but once the weather gets past November you can get long periods of not so nice weather with strong winds.

Commercially, you'll be looking at a lot of money. Waiting until early Spring would be possible with minimal help and not require a commercial crew. A commercial crew will include a captain and a mate plus ALL expenses for everything plus extra expenses and accommodations in bad weather. If $7K sounds steep then it's low compared to what you'll find. Anyone that takes money needs a license. People with a new license would not be a wise choice.

Wait til Spring, and have them do a few sails in the Winter down in GA. The expenses will be cheaper than the storage costs and their travel expenses. In the Spring it's easy to find help free or cheap help where they do it themselves. In a delivery crew situation they don't need owners aboard.
Old 31-10-2013, 06:26   #7

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I just got back bringing a boat from the northern most end of the Chesapeake to the bottom end. The bad news is moving your boat will probably require some fixing of problems along the way - they always do!

December isn't a great time to be moving a boat north. It wasn't that great last weekend either. We had decent weather with a favorable current but once the weather gets past November you can get long periods of not so nice weather with strong winds.

Commercially, you'll be looking at a lot of money. Waiting until early Spring would be possible with minimal help and not require a commercial crew. A commercial crew will include a captain and a mate plus ALL expenses for everything plus extra expenses and accommodations in bad weather. If $7K sounds steep then it's low compared to what you'll find. Anyone that takes money needs a license. People with a new license would not be a wise choice.

Wait til Spring, and have them do a few sails in the Winter down in GA. The expenses will be cheaper than the storage costs and their travel expenses. In the Spring it's easy to find help free or cheap help where they do it themselves. In a delivery crew situation they don't need owners aboard.
As a USCG Master delivery captain, I totally agree with Paul. As these people need to read his post. I, too, just finished a chesapeake delivery......too much wind and too much cold. Does the vessel have a full enclosure?????
Old 08-11-2013, 10:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45

[QUOTE=Pblais;1377726]I just got back bringing a boat from the northern most end of the Chesapeake to the bottom end. The bad news is moving your boat will probably require some fixing of problems along the way - they always do!

If $7K sounds steep then it's low compared to what you'll find. Anyone that takes money needs a license?!
That sounds a lot for such a short delivery

Tags
captain, crew, enc, georgia, Maryland