Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 11:21   #16

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Looking For Experienced Sailor To Move A Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_magic View Post
My boat is a 1969 morgan 30 sailboat i'm new to sailing so don't know much about the morgan 30 besides what i read and watched over the internet about the boat.

The condition of the boat is in good condition the previous owners took very well care of the boat i do have lots of pitures of the boat if need to look at.
Can you post a link to the photos or the original ad? Is it gas or diesel? Older boat like that you might want to sign up for vessel assist if you haven't already done so in case you have engine trouble. Doubt you or anyone with you wants to sail into a slip and a spur of the moment tow will cost you.
Old 25-07-2016, 14:25   #17

Hi oldfrog,

have not done, it is a diesal yanmar engine and starts right up with no problems here are some pics i have of the boat.
Old 25-07-2016, 14:38   #18

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Can you post a link to the photos or the original ad? Is it gas or diesel? Older boat like that you might want to sign up for vessel assist if you haven't already done so in case you have engine trouble. Doubt you or anyone with you wants to sail into a slip and a spur of the moment tow will cost you.
Another voice for towing insurance. Just one little tow is more than the insurance cost per year.
Old 25-07-2016, 14:48   #19

i do not think it would need to be towed there if theres nothing wrong with the engine
Old 25-07-2016, 15:37   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Black magic

GET THE INSURANCE, as the owner of a small boat I can tell you it will break. Get it now and keep it current.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 25-07-2016, 15:47   #21

Hi snore,

we will def get the insurance for sure i have been already getting quotes
Old 25-07-2016, 15:50   #22

Boat: Cascade 36

The tow insurance is like $150-170 for a year of coverage. If you break down offshore and have to be towed in the bill will be AT LEAST $1000 and probably a lot more depending on where you are and where you want to be towed to.

If you have the insurance the tow is pretty much covered. I don't leave the mooring without it. Super cheap compared to the bill that one could receive.

The very first time I took my boat by myself the engine shut down from an air leak. I was heading out of Chula Vista and not even 1/4 mile out of the basin. I turned around and sailed it back into the basin and anchored up right there in the middle and called for the tow. I had the insurance. I ended up getting a couple of good folks in dinghies to help me to a pump out slip on the end of the dock. The tow company showed up a few hours later and moved me from the end of one dock to my dock which was like 8 docks down IN THE SAME BASIN. They send you a notice of what the charges would have been if you didn't have the insurance. For moving me less than a mile the charge was almost $700!!!!!!

If you don't have the insurance its high seas robbery.
Old 25-07-2016, 15:59   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Black_magic, join BoatUS and get their unlimited tow insurance. Peace of mind for a tow, a jump start, emergency fuel delivery, even emergency dive service. Hope you never need it but good to know you have it.

S/V B'Shert
Old 25-07-2016, 16:37   #24

Thanks tayana,

I called the usboat and got a quote for 145 a year with 15 dollar membership for towing.

Tags
enc, sail