Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 06:33   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Maine to Anguilla

We are putting together a small crew (of four) to sail a 34 footer from Maine along the coast to Norfolk, VA, out to Bermuda and then to Anguilla. We would like to leave the first part of October and, weather permitting, be done by the first of November. The skipper and the mate are both in their sixties and have experience. The boat is well equipped and we are looking for two crew who are easy to get along with and who have a month to sail.
Old 14-08-2013, 06:45   #2

Re: Maine to Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
We are putting together a small crew (of four) to sail a 34 footer from Maine along the coast to Norfolk, VA, out to Bermuda and then to Anguilla. We would like to leave the first part of October and, weather permitting, be done by the first of November. The skipper and the mate are both in their sixties and have experience. The boat is well equipped and we are looking for two crew who are easy to get along with and who have a month to sail.

Hi

I am a 33 year old male with limited time at sea, I awould be very interested to discuss this further via email should you be interested in having me on your boat.

Regards
Shaun Nel
Old 15-08-2013, 12:24   #3

I am new to this forum, and eager to see what the possibilities are for me out there in the sailing community! I am a 31 year old female, USCG veteran (BM2), with minimal sailing experience (but I do have some). Would this be a paid position? Can you provide the boat's lodging details?

Thanks,
Daphne
Old 15-08-2013, 13:40   #4

Hi AnsleyS,

I am an avid racer with some cruising experience and would love to lend a hand on your trip! I have VHF/Boater's licence and coastal nav with experience cruising BVI, North Channel and Bahamas. I used to coach a race team out of Hamilton.

More than happy to pitch $ for food and my personal expenses of course.

Please give me a call 289-442-0365 or email mostapiak@gmail.com so we can discuss some details.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:22   #5

If you are still looking for crew.

I'm a fit 50 yr. old with limited sailing experience that includes: bareboat (50ft Benneteau) in the BVI's, ownership and use of a 22ft drop-keel Santana on New England lake, ASA 104 certification (acquired in BVI's), Coastal Nav training, and finally membership at local New England sailing club.

I might be available for the full trip.

David Becker
Cell: 781-696-4345
Old 16-08-2013, 06:37   #6

Boat: Searay Sundancer 280 D

I would love to join you for your planned passage. I have an RYA Coastal Skipper ticket with the required first-aid and communications radio licenses. I have experience in sailing on British, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Great Lakes, and SW Florida Intracoastal and Gulf. I have skippered everything from small 470's and the like up to 50 ft monohulls and 45 ft catamarans. I am also a licensed pilot and have thus been trained in navigation from two different perspectives (dead-reckoning and GPS skills are the same in the air and on the water). I also hold an advanced scuba certification.

I am 60 years old and young and very fit for my age. You'll find me to be fun and personable with a good sense of humor. I am calm and collected and decisive under pressure and can manage and direct others during difficult times. I work out almost every day and have done so for over twenty years.

I am available for the full passage term. I'd love to hear more. If you believe there is an opportunity for us both here, please respond to my email below. Please provide a little more information on the boat and it's outfitting, sailplans, communications equipment, age, etc. Please also include an outline of the financial arrangements expected.

Thank you. This sounds to be a great opportunity and would love to be aboard for a great passage. to Bermuda and Anguila. If it helps, I'm also a trained bartender (Painkillers, Rumrunners anyone?).

Martin Docherty
mdochertym@gmail.com
Old 16-08-2013, 19:12   #7

This sounds like a great trip, and if you haven’t already identified your crew, I am interested and wish you would consider me. I live in Garner, NC, just outside Raleigh. I'm retired military, so time is the one thing I have plenty of. I started sailing seriously about five years ago, and am now kicking myself that I didn't do it thirty years earlier. Since then, I've worked my way up the American Sailing Association's training program, taking their 101 (Basic Keelboat),103 (Basic Coastal), and 104 (Bareboat Charter) courses. I don't own a boat, but I'm always on the look-out for opportunities to sail, and I've been fortunate enough to gain a good bit of experience by crewing for some racing skippers in the Pamlico area, and also by helping out with a few boat deliveries/relocations. Last December, I worked on a crew of four, bringing a 42-foot Jeanneau from Baltimore down the Chesapeake, through the Pamlico, to New Bern. The weather was mostly cold and rainy, but I got to stand two night watches, which made being wet for six days more than worthwhile. My personal goal is to make myself the best possible crewman I can. As for my expectations during this mission, I would be looking to gain some blue-water experience. Someday I would like to participate in a trans-Atlantic crossing. Although I am confident that I could, today, get a boat safely to port, in the event of an emergency, I feel I need some blue-water time before I can honestly tell a skipper I'm ready. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that, by the way. I like to be up front about my age. I just turned 65, but I'm in good health, never smoked, no known maladies. I'll drink a beer or glass of wine occasionally, but I'm not addicted to alcohol, and I'm drug-free. I spent 26 years in the Army (four of that at West Point), which doesn't do much in the way of sailing, but does teach you how to work as part of a team, within a chain of command. I've never experienced sea sickness, but my sailing thus far has been coastal. I don't know how you handle costs, but I don't need any salary, and I can pay my own expenses ashore (except for transportation to and from). I have always prided myself as a team-player. I think I have a fairly good sense of humor and get along with most people. I'm not picky when it comes to food. I don't mind working long hours, doing dirty jobs, washing dishes, or even cooking (in a bachelor sort of way). My email is moorebrucem(at)earthlink(dot)net. Thank you. Bruce Moore
Old 16-08-2013, 19:40   #8

Curious why bother going to Norfolk, as oppose to straight to Bermuda?
Old 17-08-2013, 06:23   #9

We are considering the coastal route down to Norfolk due to the time of year, the possibility of tropical storms and the extent of the Gulf Stream crossing when going straight from Maine. We have not ruled out a direct shot but insurance companies don't want us to head south much before November 1st.
Old 28-08-2013, 11:36   #10

Hello AnsleyS,

If you are still looking for crew,

I am a 25 year old male interested in making this trip with you. I have only a little sailing experience crewing on a 42 foot ketch for afternoon tourist trips occasionally. I have grown up in maine on the water and have a deep love for the sea. I am easy to get along with, as my summer job ends around october I have nothing but time. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this opportunity further.
justintroiano@me.com
Old 31-08-2013, 09:29   #11

Interested in doing this sail with you. Currently travelling south america live in the bvi. know my way around a boat. david.d.keefe@gmail.com
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00   #12
dbw

I am interested and available.
Will send PM and resume.
DaveW
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40   #13

Thanks to all for the replys. We have filled the crew and have an alternate.

Ansley
Old 20-09-2013, 15:50   #14

Hi, My name is Shawn, I am 27 years old. I do not have a whole lot of experience; about three weeks. I absolutely love being on board and ESPECIALLY flying cloth. I am very capable crew. If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to email me anytime. Shawn.nye1985@gmail.com. Cheers.
Old 21-09-2013, 10:23   #15

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
you already have a lot of replies. Are you still looking for a crew member? I am interested. I have limited sailing experience but took a 3 day bareboat chartering course.

Tags
Anguilla, maine