Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 09:43   #1

Marathon, FL to Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Hi, my name is Larry I sail on a 37' Ranger and am planning on sailing from Marathon, FL late November to Early December to Mexico then cruise down the coast to Belize, Honduras and spending next hurricane season in Guatemala. If this sounds interesting to you please let me know and we will discuss it further.

Larry
Old 19-10-2013, 13:59   #2

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint
Re: Marathon, FL to Rio Dulce, Guatemala

I have skippered my own Endeavor 37 in years past, so there's some (but not vast ) blue water experience (I'm not USCG licensed, as such), so I want to 'refresh' my on-water hours, and have a possibly useful skill set (electronics, electrical engineer etc.) as well. Plus responsible, alert & don't mind the "wee hours" watch (worked shifts etc.) and good navigator (not that that's as important with all this "new fangled" GPS gear).

Do you have an idea of expected durations, and legs. Certainly, FL to Yucatan is the bigger jump, I'm seeing about 400nm which is 3-4 days depending on various factors, but I'm guessing those numbers are optimistic. Anyhow, December might be easier for my schedule (I'm not available Thanksgiving week as schedule is now), and I'm self sufficient on my own expenses and travel arrangements and have a modest Spanish (& will keep listening to CDs until I get it). I've not, however, brushed up much on the weather that such a timetable might encounter, but I did take note that a 'nearby' post mentioned almost weekly 'northers', but that sounded like would be accommodated by keeping a watchful eye activity and adjusting departure according, if needed.

John Andrews
Old 19-10-2013, 15:17   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Wont be available as crew, but have lived in Belize and Guatemala (Rio Dulce) since 2005 and cruised the area extensively. Be happy to answer any questions.
Old 23-10-2013, 21:57   #4

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Larry, it's getting cold at home, I've plenty of time, and I'd hit the Rio for sure!

PM me with more details or a phone number.

Cliff
Old 08-12-2013, 20:32   #5

Larry, I am recently retired and seeking-at long last-that great adventure.
At 53, I am tired of just hanging out in Tampa and want to do something important. Like learning the ocean and making friends with other adventurers like myself.
If you are willing to teach, I am ready to learn and am no stranger to work! I can leave at the drop of a hat, you just have to let me know.
Keeping me busy is great, so long as I have time to write my first novel!
email me at VictorDelRioSantos@mail2eat.com and we can chat. Or you can call me at 971-276-8705.
Vic
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
You might try sending SummerObsession a PM...that may generate an email notification to him.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02   #7

sounds great, looking to do the same and would love to help. feel free to message me. currently on st thomas and looking to sail to florida eventually. i would just as much fly to florida and jump on board and work my way down with you. looking forward to hearing back.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47   #8

bryandag@yahoo.com. please email with any questions or information. thanks again.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02   #9

Howdy Larry,

I am a Washington local, the state not damn D.C., who is off after a hard season of trail building on an adventure down to Belize to help lend a hand in building the countries first earthship. I will be ending up in Florida mid December and am wishing to find a more exciting means of finding my way down south than riding on an airplane. If you have available room aboard your ship for a hardworking adventurous soul please get in contact with me to discus further!

Thanks for your time,
Billy Ray
Williamhray@live.com
Old 11-12-2013, 13:08   #10

Hi Larry,

Just wondering where you are in your travels and if you still need crew. I am about 5 years into sailing (have raced and now am a boat owner myself) and I will have some free time in early January to go south...so I writing you!

Would love to meet more sailor friends!

Best,

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55   #11

Hi Michele,

There are two of us on the boat at this time, myself and a fellow from Minnesota named John. But we still have time for another person. John will be going back to Minnesota at the end of cruising season but I will be staying in the Guatemala, Roatan, Honduras for hurricane season.
We should be in Belize in Jan. so if you would like to join us let me know and we will work out arrangements. If you have a private email address let me know and I will send pictures of out trip when possible.

Larry
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12   #12

Yes, please send pics. michelewiemer@yahoo.com
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08   #13

Hello Larry,

I'm still very interested in being a member of your crew and if this option still exists please get in contact with me to discuss further details. Please see my message above for information about me.

Thanks for your time
-Billy Ray
Old 22-12-2013, 06:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Larry I am in Lauderdale and ready to go in early January...highly experienced, 54 , healthy and fun..don't smoke
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55   #15

I'm in. Been wanting to make this trip. I can hold my own as far as the work goes.

Tags
Guatemala