Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2009, 13:49   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Need Crew: Tahiti to New Zealand

I am looking for extra crew members to help sail my boat from Tahiti to New Zealand this year.

I am 52 years old and have been sailing off and on since I was 19. I am a kiwi (New Zealander) and learnt to sail on Auckland Harbour and after that in Sydney (lived there for 12 years).

My boat is called Arielle and has a full Raymarine chartplotter setup including radar. She also has a very heavy duty Simrad autopilot which takes the load off the watch captain. I have built in
redundancy in several of the systems including GPS (2 fixed and 2 handheld) and VHF radio (again 2 fixed and 2 handheld). We also have SSB long distance radio and a small modem that allows us to
receive and send email over the radio. It has all the safety gear required for a voyage through open oceans around the world. I have owned her since July 2007.

The boat is a Stevens 47, a monohull cutter rig with a full yankee headsail and a staysail as well as mainsail, storm jib and spinnaker.

I spent several years finding the right boat for me to live on and paramount in my requirements was a good solid SEAWORTHY vessel that would protect me and anyone else on board. She certainly lives up to that as well as being roomy and comfortable to live on and sail.

I am now in the Marquesas just having arrived after 3 weeks at sea from the Galapagos. I will be leaving here for the Tuamotus next week and will be in Tahiti in mid June.... I have some guests joining the boat in Tahiti on June 18th for a couple of weeks then we'll be resuming our trip to New Zealand via the Cook Islands and Tonga. I am interested in visiting a few of the more remote islands along the way so it is going to be quite an adventure.

So...the deal is this....

I have the boat and pay for any maintenance issues etc. as well as my share of food and drink.

You pay for the following....
Your airfare to and from the boat wherever you join/depart the boat.
Your part of the food costs and any immigration costs etc and for any alcohol you might want as I do not drink at all.
Any of your own shoreside costs e.g. hotel, drinks, restaurant dinners etc

You will be expected to be a part of the crew in all respects, taking watches, sailing the boat, turns with cooking and cleaning up day to day stuff....just as you would in a roommate situation on shore as well as having a great time sailing and snorkeling and cooking and eating freshly caught fish and so on!

What you get is return is a chance at an extensive offshore voyage with all the sailing experience and skills involved...and enough miles to qualify for almost any Capt's license.

A couple of rules...there's no smoking at all on board at any time....and as a safety precaution there is no alcohol consumption while underway...at anchor or off the boat is no problem as long as you are not an alcoholic. If you can't go from the cockpit to the bow of the boat without taking your beer then please do not apply.

I'd need you to be in Tahiti by mid July...around the 8th-10th if that's possible and you'd be flying home from New Zealand or somewhere in between if you don't want to come the whole way. You would have an incredible time in between!!

You would need to bring your own snorkel gear and some wet weather gear of some sort. I have lifejackets etc for everyone.

As far as costs go so far we have been averaging a bit less that $100 a week per person so I'd count on $100 a week just to be safe with the costs. That includes all food and any diesel we use for the boat. I'm conservative with the motor, preferring to sail as much as possible.

So to recap...the itinerary is this...

Leave Papaeete Tahiti around July 8-10
Sail to Borabora for a few days
Sail up to Penrhyn, Cook Isalnds and stay a week or so (600miles)
Sail to Suwarrow and stay a week or so (325miles)
Sail to Nuie and stay a week or two Fantastic clear diving!! (500 miles)
Sail across to the VaVau group Tonga for a few weeks (225miles)
Sail to NZ arriving NZ somewhere late October/early November.

You would be free to leave the boat wherever you wished. I really need people for the whole trip if that's possible and it would help if you really liked snorkelling/diving. Experience with sailing is also a plus.

If you have any other questions please ask them all.

Please understand that I have very limited email access so if I'm slow to respond it just means I'm at sea and have very slow access. Please when you send a resume or whatever use plain text only as I cannot get any attachments.

Email me at mike (at) aboutarielle (dot) com

Michael
S.V. Arielle
Old 19-05-2009, 14:09   #2

Fun and good luck

I only want to wish you a lot off fun on you wonderfull trip. I wish i could be one off your crew but dont have the experience. You dont need a masseuse????? (just kidding)

Elly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
I am looking for extra crew members to help sail my boat from Tahiti to New Zealand this year.

I am 52 years old and have been sailing off and on since I was 19. I am a kiwi (New Zealander) and learnt to sail on Auckland Harbour and after that in Sydney (lived there for 12 years).

My boat is called Arielle and has a full Raymarine chartplotter setup including radar. She also has a very heavy duty Simrad autopilot which takes the load off the watch captain. I have built in
redundancy in several of the systems including GPS (2 fixed and 2 handheld) and VHF radio (again 2 fixed and 2 handheld). We also have SSB long distance radio and a small modem that allows us to
receive and send email over the radio. It has all the safety gear required for a voyage through open oceans around the world. I have owned her since July 2007.

The boat is a Stevens 47, a monohull cutter rig with a full yankee headsail and a staysail as well as mainsail, storm jib and spinnaker.

I spent several years finding the right boat for me to live on and paramount in my requirements was a good solid SEAWORTHY vessel that would protect me and anyone else on board. She certainly lives up to that as well as being roomy and comfortable to live on and sail.

I am now in the Marquesas just having arrived after 3 weeks at sea from the Galapagos. I will be leaving here for the Tuamotus next week and will be in Tahiti in mid June.... I have some guests joining the boat in Tahiti on June 18th for a couple of weeks then we'll be resuming our trip to New Zealand via the Cook Islands and Tonga. I am interested in visiting a few of the more remote islands along the way so it is going to be quite an adventure.

So...the deal is this....

I have the boat and pay for any maintenance issues etc. as well as my share of food and drink.

You pay for the following....
Your airfare to and from the boat wherever you join/depart the boat.
Your part of the food costs and any immigration costs etc and for any alcohol you might want as I do not drink at all.
Any of your own shoreside costs e.g. hotel, drinks, restaurant dinners etc

You will be expected to be a part of the crew in all respects, taking watches, sailing the boat, turns with cooking and cleaning up day to day stuff....just as you would in a roommate situation on shore as well as having a great time sailing and snorkeling and cooking and eating freshly caught fish and so on!

What you get is return is a chance at an extensive offshore voyage with all the sailing experience and skills involved...and enough miles to qualify for almost any Capt's license.

A couple of rules...there's no smoking at all on board at any time....and as a safety precaution there is no alcohol consumption while underway...at anchor or off the boat is no problem as long as you are not an alcoholic. If you can't go from the cockpit to the bow of the boat without taking your beer then please do not apply.

I'd need you to be in Tahiti by mid July...around the 8th-10th if that's possible and you'd be flying home from New Zealand or somewhere in between if you don't want to come the whole way. You would have an incredible time in between!!

You would need to bring your own snorkel gear and some wet weather gear of some sort. I have lifejackets etc for everyone.

As far as costs go so far we have been averaging a bit less that $100 a week per person so I'd count on $100 a week just to be safe with the costs. That includes all food and any diesel we use for the boat. I'm conservative with the motor, preferring to sail as much as possible.

So to recap...the itinerary is this...

Leave Papaeete Tahiti around July 8-10
Sail to Borabora for a few days
Sail up to Penrhyn, Cook Isalnds and stay a week or so (600miles)
Sail to Suwarrow and stay a week or so (325miles)
Sail to Nuie and stay a week or two Fantastic clear diving!! (500 miles)
Sail across to the VaVau group Tonga for a few weeks (225miles)
Sail to NZ arriving NZ somewhere late October/early November.

You would be free to leave the boat wherever you wished. I really need people for the whole trip if that's possible and it would help if you really liked snorkelling/diving. Experience with sailing is also a plus.

If you have any other questions please ask them all.

Please understand that I have very limited email access so if I'm slow to respond it just means I'm at sea and have very slow access. Please when you send a resume or whatever use plain text only as I cannot get any attachments.

Email me at mike (at) aboutarielle (dot) com

Michael
S.V. Arielle
Old 22-09-2009, 03:55   #3

Hi Michael! How is your trip going? Are you looking for more crew at this point, are you missing a man/woman on board?
I am sailing off the Coast of Portugal, and will be flying to the Pacific somewhere, sometime in late October or november depending if I find a passage with a boat. I am willing to join for a short or long leg, depending on your needs.
Check my profile on thios site and please write back by email if my experience and availability fits with your needs.
Cheers!
Gena
genleclerc at gmail dot com

Tags
New Zealand, tahiti