Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 20:41   #1

Boat: Wellington Cutter 47 - "Lucky Escape"
Thumbs up Need Two Experienced Blue Water Crew North East to Azores - Late June '09

Make your Lucky Escape ! We are looking for an experienced 2 member crew - preferably a couple - to help us sail our 47 foot Wellington sailboat (1991) from New England to the Azores at the end of June 2009. We (and our insurance company) require prior blue water experience, specifically a prior Atlantic crossing. We will cover all living expenses during the voyage as well as travel costs.

We are first time boat owners and are currently cruising North up the east coast of the US, after having been laid off from our office jobs in New York City. This trip has included numerous overnight passages on the Atlantic. Although we are seasoned sailors, we do have limited bluewater sailing experience and therefore looking for a very experienced crew. Since buying the boat in January 2009, we have been working solidly on upgrading "Lucky Escape" and preparing it for the Atlantic crossing. Safety is of the upmost importance to us and "Lucky Escape" has been upgraded for all key lifesaving equipment (EPIRB, offshore liferaft, SSB etc).

"Lucky Escape" is a very solid ocean ready vessel, with its 45,000 pound displacement, 400 gallon water & fuel tanks, and 9ft centerboard. With its 13' 6" beam, it will comfortably sail a 4 person crew; has full electronics, including GPS/Autopilot; washer/dryer; icemaker; large galley/kitchen; heat/airconditioning; protected cockpit.

Please respond for more information. We look forward to this great adventure and look forward hearing from you !

Juli & John
Old 06-06-2009, 21:35   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Finding crew

Juli and John,

Being that it's early June, I suspect many have made their Atlantic plans already, but you'll probably still be able to find some crew....

You should also post your crew requirements on the "Crew Exchnage" board, at the SSCA discussion boards.....
http://ssca.org/php/BB3/
That should get you some decent responses....

If you don't get much there, I can post a query for you on the OCC Notice board as well (membership is required to post there).....

If all else fails, you could look into one of the commercial crew finder sites (crewfinder, etc....)

In addition to many, many years of Bahamas, Caribbean, Med, etc. cruising/voyaging.....
I myself have done 3 Atlantic crossings....1 back in 1980 and 2 on my own 47' sloop in 2007.......but, I'm currently taking care of family matters in Florida, and do not have the time to sail away this summer, but hoping to get away this fall and tentatively heading back across the Atlantic again next year....so, I might see you out there next year!!!

Good luck and fair winds!!!

John
Old 06-06-2009, 21:45   #3

Boat: catalina 42- Vela
Juli & John,
Is June set in stone? Is there a seasonal window for the passage?
I am currently bringing my boat up the west coast and have travel plans to fly back to Baltimore early in July. I would entertain the thought of crossing the Atlantic but i know i could not be available the end of June. Check my profile here, it has a link to my sailblog.
Chris

Tags
Azores