Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 11:03   #1

Newbie Available for, Well, Anywhere... (Located in FL)

Hey guys, I tried posting this about a year ago with no interest but I figured I'd try one more time.

I understand in terms of technical expertise, I bring little to the table so I can't say the lack of interest was surprising. However if anyone does have an extra spot and is willing to allow me to tag along and learn, I'm all for hearing about your plans.

I am a fast learner with limited experience (crewing on races in high school, college from time to time), and what I DO have available is time and desire to learn.

So, base line about me:
-28 y/o male with a positive attitude and passion for new adventure
-Currently amidst a point of transition in my life trying to figure out what I aim to do next, and I figure the open water and some exciting new places can help.
-I love to travel
-Worked in DC directing a cosmetic surgery practice for two years before realizing the industry was not of my taste, so I quit and moved to South Africa for just under a year where I worked anti-poaching on a white rhino & elephant game farm. After this I moved down to Siesta Key, FL (Sarasota), and organized a small team of programmers to build out contract applications. It went well for a while but I began losing coders to corp jobs offering better benefits than I could, so I shut that down and now I'm selling websites for a company out of DC. It leaves a lot of time on my hands.

Aside from that job, I am completely unattached. I live in a house my parents own and keep a handy eye on it and cover utilities in exchange for their generosity.

Basically the only obligations I still have these days are friends' weddings, which is hilariously ironic because I'm over here putting off upgrading my phone for the last eight months because I'm afraid to make that two year commitment to AT&T. Chalk it up to wanderlust, I guess. I even just recently came back from a trip to DC where I sold off about 90% of everything I own (furniture and clothing and boring stuff like that). My lack of 'stuff' has been a nice change of pace.

One thing I do need to consider is that my current financial situation is something I must keep in mind. Though should the right adventure come along I have no problem selling stuff (car, fancy electronics) and taking off.

Anyway, I hope I haven't rambled on too long. If anyone thinks I might be a good fit for your crew or has any clever ideas, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Thanks for reading,

Graham
Old 20-05-2015, 11:18   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisTinaBruce Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisTinaBruce
Re: Newbie Available for, Well, Anywhere... (Located in FL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Rabbitt View Post
Hey guys, I tried posting this about a year ago with no interest but I figured I'd try one more time.
Graham
Have you tried Find A Crew?
Old 21-05-2015, 00:53   #3

When are you ready to leave?
Old 21-05-2015, 01:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
Have you tried Find A Crew?
I have not checked that out as of yet but will do so now. Cheers!
Old 21-05-2015, 01:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomwinds View Post
When are you ready to leave?
Whenever necessary, provided I can get to the departure on time.
Old 21-05-2015, 01:25   #6

By the way, I can say I'm a Freedom Boat Club member with a 25 O/S certification, but that's about as far as my current credits go haha. Thank you all so much for the reads and responses thus far; it means a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-05-2015, 01:28   #7

What's a good way to contact you?
Old 21-05-2015, 08:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomwinds View Post
What's a good way to contact you?

You can contact me at grahamcrabbitt@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-05-2015, 16:52   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Graham,

Three years ago a friend of 50 years came to me. He wanted me to teach him how to sail, find a boat and sail him to Tahiti. He wanted to cruise those grounds for a year with his family and, then, sell the boat to me to use as a charter boat.

His budget was 50K. I told him that was unreasonably low. A few months later he found a boat at the repo yard in Seattle and asked me if I would drive down and look at it. He lives in France.

I have been on a thousand sailboats from 100+ footers in the Caribbean to smaller ones in the Med. I taught sailing in the San Juan Islands, BVI and Alaska. I have spent 50 years sailing the San Juans. I had never seen a boat of this size as seaworthy. Steel. Bruce Roberts Mauritius 44. Built in Bellingham Washington in 1978.

They wanted 42K. I got it for 32K. My friend sent me the money and I sailed it up to Bellingham.

I had lost everything in the recession. I told my friend that this boat would definitely make it to Tahiti but would require a lot of work and money. I committed to the project.

A few months later his wife ran off with her tennis pro and I was informed that the deal and the funding was off. Nobody wanted to buy her unfinished. Very complicated boat.

This is a two year project. I am looking for someone who wants to learn about every aspect of yacht repair and maintenance in return for a significant ownership in the boat (rather than money) with the intention of doing some major water sailing">blue water sailing. I won't be going (done that) but have people, more your age, with experience who will.

The boat is located within walking distance of downtown Bellingham.

I know this is off the wall but you asked for it. Get in touch with me at:
info@magellanyachts.com if you are interested.

I have already worked on her for 2.5 years and put another 40K in.

Pat
Old 22-05-2015, 12:21   #10

Hello again folks, all emails have been replied to. Thanks!