Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 20:39   #1

Newbie + dog looking for passage from Fla to USVI

We're moving to St. John. My wife leaves next week. I still have the house to sell as well as a lot of other stuff to offload before I can join her. I have a well behaved Labrador that I don't want to subject to airline handling.
I've been on a number of boats and have helped sail, but characterizing myself as anything other than a newbie would be stretching the truth, but I'm able bodied, and willing to learn.

Would be more than willing to help fund the voyage's expenses.

Anytime between June and October would be ideal for my schedule.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:32   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
A long passage on a small boat will be much rougher on your dog than a relatively short flight.

American Airlines has a very good pet transport service. Ive used them many times in the past for transport to/from several different countries and the animals have always been just fine (dogs, cats,parrots).

Ive also sailed w pets. A few things to consider: does your dog get sea sick (prolonged sea sickness can be fatal)? Where is he going to poo on a multi-day journey (has he been trained to poo on a small piece of artificial turf for example)? How do you plan to get him back aboard if he falls overboard (Ive done this...it is not easy w a larger dog)? ....

And last but not least...hurricane season is July-November and early season tropical activity is getting more common...first TS was in May last year.

Bottom line: not only is airline transport easier for you it is better for your pet too.
Old 20-04-2013, 13:09   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Newbie + dog looking for passage from Fla to USVI

Not to throw more water on your hopes - but besides the time period being during the summer hurricane season - you will be traveling through foreign countries like the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos and Dominican Republic - all of which have rules and requirements for boats with animals onboard. Some of them can be onerous and complicated especially if the animal is not owned by the vessel owner.
Old 20-04-2013, 13:11   #4

Thank you - those are all great and well thought out points.

I'm really just exploring alternatives to air transport due to the fact that among AA's dog transport regulations are the following;

If it is projected to be 85 degrees or more anywhere on your route the dog won't be able to fly that day. Traveling between south Florida and St. Thomas it could be quite a while before there's a day that meets that requirement.

The combined weight of the dog and carrier is not to exceed 100 lbs. I went online and the recommended carrier for a dog of his breed/size weighs 27 lbs. Right now Champ weighs in close to 90. I don't know if I can diet him down to 73!

Again, thank you for your response, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 20-04-2013, 13:19   #5

Boat: Cape Dory

Maybe a cruise ship?
Old 20-04-2013, 13:19   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Here is another idea - there are small sea freight companies out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale that run regularly between Florida and the Caribbean islands hauling freight. You might be able to book passage for you and the dog on one of these commercial container freight companies like "Tropical Freight" and take the dog along. You will be traveling on a larger vessel with plenty of room for the dog and a much more stable ride than a small sailing vessel. And they may have "non-stops" to St Thomas
Old 20-04-2013, 13:21   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Something else to investigate that would be both an interesting journey and a transport option for your dog: cargo ships. Some will accept a limited number of passengers and I do know of one couple who brought multiple dogs down aboard a cargo ship to Belize.

Certainly a more comfortable option for your pooch than a small boat.
Old 20-04-2013, 19:26   #8

Thanks folks - those are some very interesting ideas.

Champ thanks you!
Old 24-04-2013, 05:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie View Post
Thanks folks - those are some very interesting ideas.

Champ thanks you!
Hey Guys + Augie,

I am facing a much longer journey with my "smaller dog" from France to Martinique & then across to Panama. I have found a Freight Ship that will take us from Europe to the French Indies which is perfect but not all the way to Panama...

I've explored all freight companies from this side of the globe but figure I will find something from martinique quite easiily...

Have you had any luck with this search as I'll be looking for the onwards voyage from Martinique to Panama? Any input highly appreciated... I am willing to pay

Cheers,
Mike

Tags
passage