Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 18:20   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter
Newbie Here, Willing to Help !

Well guys, here goes:

Me and my family are generally out of the norm for most things. I was homeschooled through highschool and i do not plan to attend college because i do not want to go into debt and it sounds like most of the students would rather get drunk then actually learn.

I am currently 19 and about 2 years ago we went on a wonderful vacation to key largo, FL to a place called "key lime sailing club". No one ever sailed before (or boated at all for that matter) and most of the time we just swam and did other things around the area, just staying at the club like a hotel. The last day before we went back home, we managed to get a short sailing lesson in a sunfish and sailed a little our-self, though i can honestly say we knew nothing about what we were doing. It was one of the best times i had, and from then on i have been trying to get back to it; researching for these 2 years by watching all the videos i can and reading all the books i can find. I got a job at the local minimum wage to try to save up for my own boat. And this last passing summer, i finally got to sail once again with a small local group the "princton ski club", which was awesome. (they ski in the winter and sail in the summer)

Now that i am getting fed up with the job (for a few variable reasons), and i have a bit over 10k, i want to try my luck out there and travel back to florida to realize my dream. (i know its a bit early in life now, but i know if i fail i will be welcome back home)(also, this is an early notice, i will be quitting withen the next month and then will be selling as much stuff on ebay as i can) I plan to take up a trade for a living, preferably becoming a marine electrition. Though i also know music theory for on the side. I have replaced sinks, drawers, rails, fastenings, and generally i am the fixer upper of the house. I Also have had a very large experience with computers and i can do work in this area (its been my side job for a few years).

Now on to the point: I have come to this place on the internet to find anyone who can help me gain some cruising experience while at the same time i could have a "place to stay" while looking for a very cheap, fixer upper sailboat that i could live aboard. (for this i would like a 29-32 foot masthead cutter rig, but i most likely will not get to choose, it will be whatever is around) I consider myself hard working and, if you have the tools, i will help you with any project you have in mind, pay for all my own food and such, whatever is required for this to be possible. If you happen to know any marine electritions near you that might take some assistance in exchange for lessons in their field, even with no pay, i would be glad. Again i am only a 19 year old guy here, still learning life as it is, but i know even if i fail this time, living aboard (and anchored, not in a slip) is what i know i want.

i am sorry if this was hard to read, but thank you for trying.
Old 21-08-2011, 18:57   #2

Boat: looking
Re: Newbie here, willing to help!

I don't live in your area, just wanted to say, "Welcome to CF!" and "Best of luck!"
Old 21-08-2011, 19:22   #3

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter
Re: Newbie here, willing to help!

thank you, though my "area" currently is central NJ, i just think florida would be better for finding fixer-uppers.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:47   #4

Boat: Cal 2-35
Re: Newbie Here, Willing to Help !

If you are still looking for passage to FL, I'm looking for some help in getting there. I'll be leaving Maine in Sept of 2011.