Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27   #1

No Experience Needed

Hi all sailors,I am still looking for a crew member to sail the beautifull Sth Pacific next week from Cabo.You don't need experience,just need another pair of hands for night watches etc.You must be ready to go now.Regards,Paul.
Old 07-05-2013, 20:41   #2

re: No Experience Needed

Sorry you're still looking for crew.

I know it probably won't help, but I would be able to crew May 17th.

-Will
Old 08-05-2013, 16:26   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

What's the pay?
Old 08-05-2013, 20:47   #4

no experience ?..really, so you would put some kid at the helm to cross an ocean so you could sleep?...or did i miss somthing and your able to teach navigation,radar,dr,set and drift and everything else before leaving port..asking someone to stay up all nite is a whole lot different then goin to sea..forgive me but last time i checked they do have gales at breakfast lunch and dinner..a proper watch is a proper watch..has nothing to do with where the sun is or if the owner is tired..aloha b
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwilliam View Post
no experience ?..really, so you would put some kid at the helm to cross an ocean so you could sleep?...or did i miss somthing and your able to teach navigation,radar,dr,set and drift and everything else before leaving port..asking someone to stay up all nite is a whole lot different then goin to sea..forgive me but last time i checked they do have gales at breakfast lunch and dinner..a proper watch is a proper watch..has nothing to do with where the sun is or if the owner is tired..aloha b
I don't see OP mentioning anything about a kid . In any event, he is not after a spare Skipper only crew. and those come in all shapes and sizes (and ages!) and with differing capabilities - a good Skipper will match crew to capabilities and on a decent enough voyage will have the opportunity to enhance those. Whether successfully or not is a different matter! and as much about the capability of the Skipper to teach and the crew to learn than what the crew turns up with.

I doubt OP's plan to is to hand over the helm 5 minutes after departure and ask for a wake up call when the boat arrives - but I accept that Skippers do vary on expectations of crew. Personally I would be happier with a crew member who knew next to nothing (but was willing to learn) than someone who had a bit of knowledge - and was not afraid to demonstrate that it was only a bit .

TBH, OP's crew wanted ad is a refreshing change from the oft requested requirement for crew to have sailed the 7 seas and rounded both Capes in winter - where what the owner really wants / needs is an able person onboard to cover own deficiencies, but is unwilling to admit it or give up the nice hat...........
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32   #6

Where are you heading to and from? I'm interested!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: No Experience Needed

IMO, propensity to seasickness is the first (of several) gating items when taking on a crew "with no experience," direct to offshore with no turning back. Turns an extra pair of hands into a liability and a risk to other crew. Been there, never again.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57   #8

Hi, if you can fly me out there today (as I am currently in the uk) I can be ready with you to sail tomorrow. Kind regards, Richard.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:45   #9

aloha david,
i stand corrected, "kid" was not the proper term..and yes it is refreshing that there is an owner/skipper out there that is willing..im just not ready to sail from cabo to so pac with a guy that says "no experince needed" and be able to stand watch at night in the same sentence..
cheers b.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:47   #10

Boat: Catalina 25 Tall Rig
If you aren't ready, then why don't you kindly butt out? You're opinion isn't needed if you aren't interested.
Old 14-05-2013, 21:05   #11

Hi,

I'm interested in joining your journey if it isn't too late. I'm 35 and have recently sailed with my father in Panama. I also have worked as crew/ chef on a 50 ft. charter in that area (Panama/ Colombia). My schedule is flexible. I'm looking for more cruising experience.
Please let me know if you would like more information.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 15-05-2013, 00:56   #12

Boat: shipman 28

hi,
i am interested, let me know if u like sm information.
Old 16-05-2013, 02:35   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to thymboy

hello, I am a portuguese vegetarian born in casablanca morocco with life saving certificates from hawaii and australia, I love outdoor life and to continue explore the world. I would like to join you for a long journey in the pacific. I am in Oslo Norway camping in the forest all winter. I am ready to go, if i can get a plane ticket.