Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 19:09   #61

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Ocean Work Next Week - PNW the Real Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
OK guys, Lets be looking at the weekend of May 25, 26 and 27 and or 28 (Memorial Day). How many of you could make it that weekend? Straight Shooter should be back on board, and I will arrange transport.
For those that live in Oregon, if you want me to pick you up in Tacoma (rail station?) and get you to Neah bay, we can do that. If fact, I think I will bring my big pickup which could haul 5 with gear up easily.
Long range weather is hard to tell right now, but the swells seem to be decreasing, as is normal for this time of year.
Plan is to go 30 miles offshore in a large arch, and hit the incoming tide at the Columbian Bank.
Newt,

Maybe I'll see you out there.
I'm going to be the "senior crew" (having done the passage a couple of times before) leaving Whidbey on May 26.
Three of us will be sailing a Dragonfly 35 "Lykke" to Newport Beach California.
Mine's the 33'.
Isn't it amazing what 2 feet can do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 vacation 015.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	40841  

Mae West
Old 08-05-2012, 19:42   #62

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This week would be a Great week to sail the PNW. We're getting three plus consecutive days of sunshine for the first time since early last fall.

I'm extremly lightheaded but have worked my exposure rate up to almost two hours of direct sunlight before I must return indoors for naps.
Yesterday, I already got a sun burn on the back of my neck. So now, the season begins for us PNW rednecks.
Old 08-05-2012, 23:06   #63

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

This time of year I'm glag were located in eastern WA where we get almost 300 days of sun shine a year . It has been sunny and warm for at least a month and my feet are getting very tan and used to going bear footed on my 3 mile walks around the Island. Just color me tan and my exposure is all day with no burn. Have fun sailing down the coast and when the spring flooding is over come on up the Columbia and it'll be as warm as the Bahamas soon.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Webe where are you on the river? Must be at The Dalles or upriver to have that much sunshine.
Senior- I know of another boat that is leaving your same day and is going to give me a call for swell conditions at Neah. Feel free to hail me anytime. We will be on 16.
Old 09-05-2012, 20:23   #65

Quote:
Webe where are you on the river? Must be at The Dalles or upriver to have that much sunshine.
Just 3 miles up stream of the Snake river in Kennewick at Clover Island marina. For abour the next 4 months were almost rain free with a total of 8 inches a year, Winter sailing is great too not much snow and lots of sun.
Old 09-05-2012, 22:09   #66

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

For those who may be geographically challenged, Kennewick is in SE Washington State. The Snake River begins in Yellowstone Nat'l Park in NW Wyoming and flows south to enter SE Idaho and travel acrossed the state of Idaho before turning north along the Idaho-Oregon boader to enter Washington state to flow into the Columbia River just below Kennewick, Wash. The Columbia river begins in Canada and flows south into Washington.
I'd guess that there are over twenty Dams on the two rivers. These dams generate electricity for the entire Western US, including LA. ..
Old 09-05-2012, 22:34   #67

We definately have sun and wind and sometines too much of both. There are 4 locks from Portland to where we are at 300 ft above sea level. Up the Snake there are 4 more dams with locks and Lewiston Idaho is the low bridges. We grow more wheat than Kansas and more wine grapes than almost anyone ( the perfic terwar, rocky dranage for great wine ) More potatoes than anyone. Our hills have no trees just sage brush and tumbleweeds, instead we have wind turbin farms. Some tugs pushing barges on the river. There are some free morring buoys put out by the Core of Engineers which runs the dams.
Old 09-05-2012, 23:16   #68

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I would have liked to get in on the short voyage but I have a nephew graduating up in Canada, so that weekend has been scheduled already. The previous schedule, I had boat work issues.
I think it's been 12 years since I've been out on the big blue. But I'll make it one way or another next year heading South!!!

Hey Webe,
That big ole river brings back memories. I use to live in Troutdale and the back 9 acres bordered the Columbia. I remember have to move the live stock up to Sandy Blvd in fear the river was going to break the dikes, in 1968 or something.

I also had a view of Mt. St. Helens out my bedroom window, before she blow her top. I might even have a picture or two. I'll bet it's good sail up the river in the Gorge. I use to get sand blasted on my motorcycle coming down the hi-way.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31   #69

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The Columbia River has a current that flows at around 4 knots. More often than not the wind blows down-river. Windsufers from all over the world come to the Gorge to experience the 30+ knot winds.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:08   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wonko-PM me with your private data please.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:03   #71

Are you still trying to sail down the coast this Memorial weekend ?
Old 22-05-2012, 10:09   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I think its finally going to happen
Old 22-05-2012, 10:29   #73

Quote:
Yeah, I think its finally going to happen
I just checked the buoy data and there is a warning of a storm coming east and the off shore bouy is reading 11.2 ft swells at 9 seconds, really steep waves coming our way. You might check the buoy data before before you head out . Usually by the last of June you can expect the pacific storms to quite down and the period to get at least 12 or more. Last year I checked almost daily and the calmer weather and wave action was not untill mid July. I have been hearing of shipping containers being washed up on shore from the Japinese tsunami floatsome so keep a bow watch 100% of the time.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:00   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good advice. The low (and a smaller one behind it) are spost to go through this week, leaving a high to establish itself this weekend and waves to drop to four feet. I know that isn't how things always turn out, but I am watching things closely.
The Japanese crap is a hazard. But I do not know when it will get better. Most of our sail will be daylight but we are overnight passaging. I think we will slow way down during the night.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:43   #75

Good luck It only takes about 30 hours or so to get into safety from the time you head out so have fun eat lots and stay warm and dry.