Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 14:41   #1
jrp

old newbie looking for nc,sc,va to st. somewhere

I'm 56, a software engineer, writer wannabe, non smoker, very responsible. I have taken 2 different week long basic seamanship courses, spent 2 weeks on a ketch in the Bahamas (1979), an afternoon on an America's cup boat. I want to finally buy a boat later this year but would really like to spend a bit of time crewing. Am flexible (with notice). Weekends trip, week long, whatever. I thought about signing up for the Mahina-Tiare thing but they are booked way out and expensive. Thanks.

I'm also suffering from the problem buying a boat I've never sailed on. Hoping to get some knowledge/insight
Old 05-04-2014, 13:24   #2

Re: old newbie looking for nc,sc,va to st. somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I'm 56, a software engineer, writer wannabe, non smoker, very responsible. I have taken 2 different week long basic seamanship courses, spent 2 weeks on a ketch in the Bahamas (1979), an afternoon on an America's cup boat. I want to finally buy a boat later this year but would really like to spend a bit of time crewing. Am flexible (with notice). Weekends trip, week long, whatever. I thought about signing up for the Mahina-Tiare thing but they are booked way out and expensive. Thanks.

I'm also suffering from the problem buying a boat I've never sailed on. Hoping to get some knowledge/insight
We might match up although my need for crew is in November when I sail my boat Pearson 36-2 from Norfolk to the Caribbean. I am almost retired and have the boat in the Chesapeake and I will sail her in May and June after which I will spend most of the summer in Europe.

If you are interested in the trip to the Caribbean in November, maybe we can sail in the Chesapeake in May and June to get to know each other. The boat is owned by 2 people in partnership and we would not mind allowing a third partner.

Please email me at sailor7884@yahoo.com
Old 05-04-2014, 13:25   #3

We might match up although my need for crew is in November when I sail my boat Pearson 36-2 from Norfolk to the Caribbean. I am almost retired and have the boat in the Chesapeake and I will sail her in May and June after which I will spend most of the summer in Europe.

If you are interested in the trip to the Caribbean in November, maybe we can sail in the Chesapeake in May and June to get to know each other. The boat is owned by 2 people in partnership and we would not mind allowing a third partner.

Please email me at sailor7884@yahoo.com
Old 22-04-2014, 09:01   #4

Boat: Morgan 43 (1985)

I'm an old (not-so newbie). I've got a 1985 Morgan 43. I've been sailing and cruising the Chesapeake Bay for nearly 20 years. I'm retiring in May and leaving for the Bahamas November 1, 2014. I'm also an old IT guy, mostly tech support, mainframe early on and later fibre channel and storage stuff. Any way, if you have some interest in November let me know and I'll give you a little more of a rundown.

Norm
Old 22-04-2014, 09:25   #5

Boat: Morgan 43 (1985)

I forgot to mention that I've crewed and sailed a lot of different boats and I spent a couple years researching and looking for my current boat. I bought it in Wilmington, NC and brought it back up to the Chesapeake (north of Baltimore) last summer gaining some ICW experience. In November I'll take a lot of the ICW with periodic short hops offshore when the opportunity presents itself. Sharing some of the costs for food, fuel, and dockage/moorage would be nice. I'm planning on anchoring as often as is practical. Boat maintenance, insurance, etc. would be my responsibility. I can provide more detail on the boat and me if you have an interest.

Take care and good luck whatever direction you go.
Old 26-04-2014, 02:02   #6

Hola
uld you say more details about your sailing trip?
dates? places?
Thanks

Cheers
Old 28-04-2014, 20:39   #7

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"

Quote:

Will be sailing down from Pacific NW to Mexico. If interested e-mail me alengst@gmail.com

Old 30-04-2014, 10:50   #8
jrp

Hi Norm:

saw your reply to my post for crew on your November trip to Bahamas. I can be reached direct at jrpauley@gmail.com. Yes I would love some more info. I can't say I'm retired (would like to) so I would want to get some idea if you are thinking of going non stop or putting into any ports along way. I need to manage my time away. Have some flexibility but would like to know more itinerary. I'm sure you may want to know more about me as well. You mention Fibre channel. I worked in telecom for Nortel/BNR for 15 years. Thanks for the info
Old 20-05-2014, 13:49   #9

Boat: Tom Colvin, Custom 63'

I do not have much experience with the sail, but I do have a !995 52' steel ketch i am taking to Panama C.A. from Tampa. next month or so. I need experienced help and will supply all supplies.
Old 22-05-2014, 00:06   #10

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

Would you be interested in crewing aboard a Condor-40 trimaran in the chesapeake? Day trips or longer OK. I launch my tri June 13 to explore the bay. JAZ is currently located at Georgetown Yacht Basin. Best to phone/text me at 808 seven seven two 2133. Im still in Hawaii so don't call too early. I arrive in MD June 9.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10   #11
jrp

Thanks. I just returned from 2 weeks 1200 miles St Marteen to FL so I have to get back to work for awhile before I can afford another break
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19   #12

Hi
This may be work able for me as i am seeking crew to bring my 50' cutter from Maryland to Charelston on or about September 1. This may be in one trip or a few shorter ones depending on conditions. Later in December i will be heading to the West coast after several months of exploring.
Let me know if you can join me.
Doug
designsailor@hotmail.com

Quote: