Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 00:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

pirate Pacific Treasure Hunt - Diving / Sailing Adventure

I am looking for a few of special people with a passion for living and having a go, to join me on another one of my little adventures. I have raced in the BOC challenge solo around the world yacht race, sailed to Antarctica many times, lived there for a year in a box alone, raced rally cars, made world first Gyro-copter flights, been treasure hunting in the Philippines and just sailed 4000 miles across the Pacific in 25ft Open boat following William Bligh www.taliskerbountyboat.com Before doing the Shackleton James Caird trip in summer 2011, I am headed off across the Pacific for 9 months in ICE, my 50ft 40 tonne Motor sailor, Diving some of the best spots on earth. We have one virgin wreck and are following leads on two more. Depart Philippines April 2010 through Palau, Truk all of Micronesia, Gilberts, Pheonix islands etc down to Tonga where some of the action starts. Filming a Doco and carry our own flying boat. Check out www.bluetreasure.me for details and if interested email me there..I will only visit this forum once a week. On my way to Antarctica for two months..If you are a pirate or have special characture traits..all the better...it will be hard work too..thanks..Don..I will pick the crew by mid Jan 2011...so do it now!..
Old 18-12-2010, 09:35   #2

another rally driver sailor. I like it!!!
Old 18-12-2010, 10:20   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wow!!! awesome adventure--i wish i could-- need to serve my own purpose for a minuet.... gooodluck-- sounds like a wonderful adventure
Old 18-12-2010, 11:00   #4

Boat: 40ft Morgan Sloop - Voyager
Holy smokes sailor! That's some adventure your going on. If I were 30 years younger and didn't have a tooth ache everyday from jumping outta airplanes, I'd join you.
Old 18-12-2010, 12:07   #5

Paying $2000/month to be on a boat for a minimum of eight months: $16K plus airfare getting there and back. That's not crew: that's passengers, regardless of whether or not you're giving them jobs. At least in the US it's that way.

I don't mean to be a jerk but that's $64,000 you're collecting for the operations of your vessel into places you want it to go.
Old 18-12-2010, 12:24   #6

I was thinking the same thing, seems to be a lot to have to pay to be doing hard work....
Old 18-12-2010, 12:50   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
I was thinking the same thing, seems to be a lot to have to pay to be doing hard work....
I wanta be in the movies.......

Yeah, for $2000 a month, does anyone wanta sail and dive the San Juan's for 3 months aboard the 40' S/V Ugly Duckling. Such a deal!
Old 18-12-2010, 13:31   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
uhoh i am getting ideas for transiting canal and the fees involved.... hhmmmmm..lol...
Old 18-12-2010, 14:19   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
For those who are jumping to conclusions, Don has never been in it for the money and has a great track record of picking people (like Jessica) to sponsor, inspire, then let loose… to soar as an individual.

Setting a solid financial benchmark for those who want to join his team of adventurers only shows his experience in making sure that those who apply already possess the basic level of commitment and determination, before he shortlists them on other factors.

“Ice” sits patiently across from me, where she has been purpose built at considerable expense, with a lot of knowledge and experience.

Don is the real thing and anyone looking for a bit of life changing inspiration, could make a much worse self investment in time and money, than joining Don on one of his adventures.

Best of Luck Don and see you in January!
Old 19-12-2010, 16:51   #10

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Paying $2000/month to be on a boat for a minimum of eight months: $16K plus airfare getting there and back. That's not crew: that's passengers, regardless of whether or not you're giving them jobs. At least in the US it's that way.

I don't mean to be a jerk but that's $64,000 you're collecting for the operations of your vessel into places you want it to go.
Don McIntyre is one of Southern Hemispheres great adventurers. Perhaps a little unknown in the USA and Europe but his trips have been amazing and are certainly inspiring. BOC racer, lived in antarcica with his wife, since then has done more research in antarcta than "possibly" any individual adventurer.

Doing a voyage like this wont be anything like doing the "milk run" with some retired exec and his wife spending their kids inherritance. More likley it would be a trip of a lifetime and an opportunity to spend time with an Aussie Icon. If I had a spare 64k I would jump at the chance.

This is one of his previous journeys.

BTW, if anyone has a spare 64k let me know.

Cheers
Oz
Old 19-12-2010, 17:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'm special... but I'm broke....
so I'm outa the equation... lmao
Yeah...ok

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 19-12-2010, 17:49   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hmmn...maybe this is a forum subject? who pays..?? well My ambitions have always outgrown my wallet and each expedition leaves me Paying bills bigtime?? but I love the challenge?? and life, so no complaints, Yes I agree with all the plus and minus comments...bit humbled by the nice comments..Thanks guys?

So yes ..I want to go there and do these things..but am a great believer on this trip to share the fun, experience and the cost..Insuring a $1mill boat across the Pacific is not pretty and living with desalinators, aircon,freezers, dive compressors, flying boat and general luxuary is a far cry from my first 29ft cruising yacht. I loved that time (a simpler cruising life is on the agender one day) and sailed the Pacific for three years living off the land with hunting bow, spear gun and a realisation that you do not need a lot of money to have fun, I was known as Jungle back then supplying food to all the non-hunting cruising boats!...but at 55, times have changed for me??...ICE has what I call the whole "Fxxxing" disaster with Flat screen TV, luxuary everything..and is a fun boat, but expensive to run, mauintain and as for depreciation???...when I wanted crew for the Talisker Bounty Boat voyage..for the crew it was $20,000 each for 48days of???? no food, no toilet paper and little water..for me it was the same, but the budget was $300,000...so the $60,000 from the crew helped...and the sponsorship too..but it was a $140,000 sail for me?..and I loved every minute??

This trip on ICE will cost me substantially more than your average cruising boat as we have some interesting plans..it is not for everyone..but yes.. the crew I finally have onboard will want to be there and will fel part of it. I need to know they are passionate like me...$500 a week ...OK for some?? not for the average...

There are only two spots left?

Now if I had no money?? I would get onto Ebay USA ..get myself a cheap sailing boat, fit it out from Ebay equipment and have a ball...total budget...about $16,000 for the whole boat!!...all you need then is to find your food!!..way to go!!...
Old 19-12-2010, 18:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Now if I had no money?? I would get onto Ebay USA ..get myself a cheap sailing boat, fit it out from Ebay equipment and have a ball...total budget...about $16,000 for the whole boat!!...all you need then is to find your food!!..way to go!!...

LMAO.... DonDon.... you've just risen 100% in my opinion... good luck with the enterprise...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 19-12-2010, 18:20   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

Doing a voyage like this wont be anything like doing the "milk run" with some retired exec and his wife spending their kids inherritance. More likley it would be a trip of a lifetime and an opportunity to spend time with an Aussie Icon. If I had a spare 64k I would jump at the chance.

Cheers
Oz
I see your point!

Back in 1973 I sold everything I owned except what I needed to drive up to Alaska from Portland Oregon. I got as far as 120 miles N. of Fairbanks at the end of the road in the town Central, AK. I hiked in from there for a couple weeks until I ran out of food and then went back to my car.

That was one hell of an experience driving up a dirt and rock roads for 8 days sometimes in a bitter cold storm. Wore out the car and two sets of tires. But something I'll always remember and won't regret!
Old 24-12-2010, 22:24   #15

Boat: O'Day 28
I can see were it would get pretty expensive to run a liveaboard dive boat for 8 months. It is kind of handy that you get your customers to do all the work on the boat also. But I can see how people would be willing to do it.
I seriously doubt you will loose money on the adventure as you suggest.

Even more doubtful is that it cost you $300,000.00 to provision (nothing except a little water), sail and film that boat for 48 days for the Bounty trip.

Tags
diving