Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 21:23   #1

Puerta Vallarta to Seattle

I just purchased a Columbia 9.6 IOR boat in Puerta Vallarta and will be leaving around the 14th for the Seattle area. Another person to accompany me and share duties would be great. Easy going 61 yr old male. Please be comfotable on a boat and have some experience.
Old 05-06-2014, 21:31   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Puerta Vallarta to Seattle

This month's Sea magazine has comments and recommendations for such a trip. I'm rather surprised about its concern about entering the San Francisco estuary (recent boater's death notwithstanding). On the other hand, the builder of my boat, in his younger days, had his sailboat bottom-out/beak-up in the south channel. He swam to shore, but his fellow sailor didn't make it. I've never had an issue in the several small-boat trips in/out the Golden Gate, except for seasickness.
Old 06-06-2014, 00:05   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This month's Sea magazine has comments and recommendations for such a trip. I'm rather surprised about its concern about entering the San Francisco estuary (recent boater's death notwithstanding). On the other hand, the builder of my boat, in his younger days, had his sailboat bottom-out/beak-up in the south channel. He swam to shore, but his fellow sailor didn't make it. I've never had an issue in the several small-boat trips in/out the Golden Gate, except for seasickness.
The South channel, off Ocean Beach, has a long history of devouring boats that come in too far. It is an area well known for waves suddenly breaking well out from the apparent breaker line. But, except for big winter storms, the main ship channel is usually safe enough. Goodness knows lots of race boats go in and out almost every weekend through the summer season... on the race schedule, not waiting for a good tide/wind window. I remember a few exciting rides there when I was single hand racing in my Yankee 30, but besides frequent spinnaker wraps at the South Tower I always made it OK!

But PV to Seattle is a hell of a long passage to windward and generally up-current, especially in such a small boat. She should sail well to windward if in good nick, but geeze, it is a long haul. The dread Baja Bash is just the beginning!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-06-2014, 01:03   #4

Yeah, but its summer and its sailing so
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29   #5
cruiser

ive got no experience and im not in mexico but fly me out and ill learn. <3 haha
Old 06-06-2014, 11:05   #6

I have lots of experience on sailing, if you pay my airfair ticket, I could help you on this trip.
my regards

Sergio

Tags
seattle