Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 15:26   #1

pirate Sailing to Hawaii from California ?

Hello all who may be reading! My name's Joel and I'm looking to sail to hawaii in a few weeks. Actually I'm ready and roaring to go at a moments notice! I'm just done with flying planes to get to my destinations. I've never sailed before but I do have great sea legs and a great mind to learning absolutely all new things in a blink of an eye! I am also wonderfully intrigued by the idea of sailing across the ocean to a faraway island. I'm 22 years old and have been traveling and backpacking for a number of years. I just moved to cali from colorado where I was proficiently navigating the wilderness. I love every aspect of the outdoors, and can't wait to conquer another terrain! Survival and level headedness in any situation is my forte :-)
Anyways, I am looking to find someone who is willing to give a young buck a shot at this amazing trip! I've been to the marinas around here and they all tell me that my only real shot is online, so here I am. Please make that a true fact by responding with some good news! I will be patiently and enthusiastically waiting for just that!
~Joel~
Old 03-02-2010, 15:35   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I would critique your timing. Showing up in California for an early February passage to Hawaii is something like if I showed up in Colorado in July and asked someone to take me skiing. Because of winter storms, most people consider the best window for a Hawaii passage to be May through September.
Old 03-02-2010, 16:17   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Bash has got it down to the numbers for crossing.. You could push it up as far as April but you'd be playing with a loaded gun.. Watch the weather and when the Pacific Hi sets in solid.. Head west...............
Old 03-02-2010, 16:31   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I would critique your timing. Showing up in California for an early February passage to Hawaii is something like if I showed up in Colorado in July and asked someone to take me skiing. Because of winter storms, most people consider the best window for a Hawaii passage to be May through September.
I completely appreciate the comparisson of the two subjects, though colorado has only about 3 months out of the year that you can't ski, and it seems as though your telling me that there are only that amount of time where you CAN sail across to hawaii. Also, even though I am willing and able to go immediately, I am also willing and able to wait, maybe take a few test trips with whoever was on the same boat as me with wanting to go to hawaii (haha get it?) :-), and get to know eachother a bit first as well. is there any chance of you possibly being that person wishing to sail to hawaii? It would be absolutely fantastic if you were!
~Joel~
Old 03-02-2010, 16:32   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Ahhhh Ronnie Simpson

Check these threads, a wealth of information.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Search Results

Cheers & All the best
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Old 03-02-2010, 16:36   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Typing about Ronnie. He's being sponsored for the Transpac this summer. He's actually in S.F practicing..........i2f
Old 03-02-2010, 16:44   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
for grins I just checked the long-range forecast on the weatherfax. Between here and Hawaii you'd be seeing forty-knot westerly winds and 22 foot seas by the end of the week.

In other words, yikes.

Tags
california